Primitive Survival

Spear and Fang

• 1 month later...

I personally really like what I see here, and I wouldn't stress too much about "balance". Anything that adds new options will inevitably make the game easier than not having options, simply because fewer options means you must achieve something or fail. However, I think for a lot of mods like these, the increased options are not only attractive from a realism standpoint, but facilitate a wider variety of gameplay and gameplay styles and paces while adding additional content.

Mods like this make it more interesting to not rush so much and give more options for living a bushcraft living off the land sort of play.
Big thumbs up!

• Thanks 3

The truth is that as an early access game there is a lot of room for innovation, as a "Minecrafter" I love the game but would never go back to the vanilla version, modded all the way.

The terrain generation is absolutely incredible but the world is in need of "things" buildings, plants ( think of Pam's Harvest craft) with all the fruit trees, flowers and cooking options, think of a version of Immersive Engineering.

Tyron is a one man show, and has a road map that he is been working relentlessly. But he also has an army of passionate followers, many of them know how to code. So please modders do your best!

The game has to be flexible, hardcore for the ones who like that tipe of game and more Zen like for people like me that like to build and explore and just unwind from a stressful day.

The addition of mods does not impact the original game or it's balance since they are an option you take, and you add them if you so wish, that said the mod page has to be updated. . . please and thank you.

And to all of my Vintarian friends have a great day! Peace and love. . . real or imagined.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I spend a fair amount of time on Discord but am just seeing that poll for the first time, so thanks!  I must admit that my emotions are a little mixed right now.  On the one hand I'm extremely happy that fishing seems to be of interest to everyone, but on the other hand I wasn't under that impression at all (until seeing that recent poll). 

When I decided to build this mod, I had a good look at what was out there for mods, and had a look at this thread wishlist...

...and my feeling was that fishing simply wasn't going to happen any time soon.  As much as I love Vintage Story, I felt that the water was a barren wasteland and that digging holes to capture animals was a little...well...weird, so it seemed like I could build this mod and fill those gaps quite nicely for a long time to come.

Tyron's been doing a great job and I believe that he prefers to be a one man show, so I'd imagine he'll just tackle fishing himself.  If he wants to borrow any of my assets or ideas or whatever, I'd consider it an honor and move on to something else.  I'm just learning the ropes and he knows Vintage Story inside and out, so I'm sure he'd do a fabulous job with fishing.  

Edited by Spear and Fang
  • Like 1

I don't know how exactly Tynan was going about such things with modders for Rimworld, but since the Kickstarter several ideas which had been mods had been integrated into the game itself. The clear upside was, that the mods had not to be loaded as mods anymore but could be coded as integral part of the game, making them more stable and everything.

Maybe here is such an option as well. You already put lots of work into it and Tyron want to implement fishing just seemingly isn't sure yet how or something (I did not read the whole forum posts about it and memories can be a bit unreliable).

So why not get in touch with him? Getting your stuff into the game is likely less time consuming than tackling the whole stuff from the start just to get a feature working which is already working. Refining, balancing... that stuff will come with time and can be done on his end while you work on something else as you might be planning anyway.

I've only been at it for a couple of months.  Tyron could surely implement this whole thing (but better) in a matter of weeks.  Again, my mod is out there and easy enough to find if he's looking for ideas or assets to expedite the process.  My code is meh...I mean, every time I refactor it I learn a few new things and want to refactor it again, so there's not much worth harvesting there.  I'm going to refine the fishing components a bit more and maybe add some new fish, but at this point I'm mostly leveraging it as a jumping off point to go in a little different direction...

I need to test this out, how advanced is the fishing right now, does it take into account seasons, time of day, temperature, lattitude etc?
Perhaps this could be used for balance, harder to obtain fish in winter, or smaller specimens, perhaps even your coordinates could help determine the type of fish, lots of room for variety anyway.

There's quite a bit going on behind the scenes, but nothing related to the things you've mentioned.  It's fairly basic but seems to be reliable and predictable game-play wise (which was no small feat, because modding in water presents a lot of unique challenges).  The fish traps all have their own unique and random behaviors and considerations, fish can die and rot right in traps (if they don't escape first) and bait can rot too (if it's not stolen first), different fish offer up different amounts of nourishment, and they're pretty tough to process (cook) and manage (inventory wise) since there's many types.  Honestly, I made it relatively easy to catch fish because that's only a part of the process.  I'm kind of enjoying playing it, but I'm a little biased.

I snared my first rabbit not too long ago so there's that too.

If you haven't taken it for a spin yet you might hold off until the next release (maybe in a couple of weeks).  I've got some basic animation working now for the fishes, which, along with the particles (bubbles) has made things a little more lively.

Edited by Spear and Fang

• 2 weeks later...

To be more realistic I'd like to see alternative ways to make firepits. For example using fat to fuel it and may be fur as alternative to grass in firestarter and bones as alternative to sticks. Probably fish bones and fat are not good enough but maybe seal creature would do the thing. Ability to butcher wiht only blade with much lesser speed.

Edited by Владислав Кудряшов

On 11/8/2020 at 10:16 AM, Владислав Кудряшов said:

To be more realistic I'd like to see alternative ways to make firepits. For example using fat to fuel it and may be fur as alternative to grass in firestarter and bones as alternative to sticks. Probably fish bones and fat are not good enough but maybe seal creature would do the thing. Ability to butcher wiht only blade with much lesser speed.

Whew firepits is a little out of my league.  This is one for Tyron, so you might add it to #suggestions on the Vintage Story Discord.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.