Dauron

bettercratesbannernew.thumb.png.8656f0805859da56ec5923fe7b246cb7.png

Update 1-18-24: new version 1.7.0 compatible with VS 1.19.0

• No major changes, just recompiled to verify compatibility.

I do not have much time nowadays to thoroughly test things so please be sure to backup your worlds before updating to any new version of Vintage Story, can't stress that enough. Very important when updating as many modders won't know if their mod becomes incompatible with new versions of VS.

Description:
This mod introduces a new storage block with a new mechanic for Vintage Story. These "Better Crates" can only store one type of item but they store much more of it than a wooden chest.

Features:

• No GUI element but instead shows the item model with quantity on the label.
  • Interact by left clicking to take items out and right clicking to insert items. They can only be broken with an axe.
  • Upgradable to the next tier by using an upgrade item on them, no need to put into crafting window to upgrade.
  • Fully multiplayer compatible. Including claim protected, reinforcement and locking mechanic.
  • Compatible with hoppers and chutes. Bottom side is the output. All other sides can be inserted into.
  • Rotates when placed. Can also be placed into the floor to face up or ceiling to face down.
  • Detailed Handbook information with links to each new block/item. Just search for "Better Crate".
  • Reactive block interaction overlay information.
  • Compatible with Carry Capacity mod. Highly recommended! Note: Crates can only be carried by hand.

Known Issues:

• While nearly all blocks/items display correctly, some blocks that have overlays such as soil with grass will display without the grass. This only applies to creative mode as you can't have those blocks in survival. There is always the possibility with mods and newer game versions that new blocks/items may not display correctly.
  • Chiseled blocks do not display properly Fixed with version 1.0.1
  • Very rarely when broken the label quantity text will not get destroyed. This seems to only happen in creative mode. This will fix if you restart the game.
  • Anvil work items in 1.14+ will not display properly. I feel this is a rare case usage and have not devoted time to fixing the issue for now.

Notes:

• As of version 1.4.1 the display range of models and info of the labels can now be configured. Default is 50 block range.
    The "BetterCratesConfig.json" file will be in your VintagestoryData\ModConfig folder after loading into a world with the mod one time.
    This file can be edited with common text editors such as Notepad.

Language Files Included:

Recipe Examples from handbook:

Spoiler

bettercrate-description.png.999c866dca683b5a4bbd986d7a44cdf5.png          upgrade-description.png.0af70c7b6aadbe3b799a7a6235ae3a72.png

Usage example:

Spoiler

bettercrates-example.thumb.png.a1112a2f1c396a26c35d89ed630ac008.png

I hope everyone will enjoy using this mod. It was quite the challenge to make. Special thanks to everyone who helped answer my questions in discord.

Downloads:

I'm using the Vintage Story Mod DB from now on for downloads. No need to have files in two places.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/146

Edited by Dauron
New version
  • Like 2
  • Cookie time 1
  • Amazing! 7
  • Mind=blown 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DArkHekRoMaNT said:

Thanks for your work! (Minus one point in my todo :D)

Maybe add a different textures for the different bronzes?

P.S. Made a lang file for Russian.

ru.json 9.01 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks again for the language file! I'm adding it in the zip now.

I decided to use only 1 "bronze" for this because of how the upgrade system works. The recipe for the bronze upgrade will accept any of the 3 bronze ingots. I wanted to keep the upgrade system simple and also the information in the handbook easy to follow.

As far as the Carry Capacity version goes, if people run the CC version without CC it will work but it throws errors about the behavior not being found on the server side which would happen in single player as well. I wanted to provide a "standalone" version that would not have errors pop up for those that do not use CC.

Thanks again for your help!

Edited by Dauron

On 10/2/2020 at 2:47 AM, Dauron said:

As far as the Carry Capacity version goes, if people run the CC version without CC it will work but it throws errors about the behavior not being found on the server side which would happen in single player as well. I wanted to provide a "standalone" version that would not have errors pop up for those that do not use CC.

What kind of errors occur on the client side? I tested this in single world - no errors. Are you json-patching files for CarryCapacity or just adding to the main block file?

Edited by DArkHekRoMaNT

14 hours ago, DArkHekRoMaNT said:

What kind of errors occur on the client side? I tested this in single world - no errors. Are you json-patching files for CarryCapacity or just adding to the main block file?

This is the "error" it shows. As I said before it's only on the server side, and it's only a warning. It still works just fine it's just going to do it every time you join into single player or start a server. I added the "Carryable" behavior in the crate block file. I don't see any other way to do it. Patching would be like patching the Carry Capacity patch that patches blocks to have the behavior... Unless there's a way in a patch inside my mod to say if Carry Capacity mod exists then patch the "Carryable" behavior in.

2020-10-06_16-26-43.thumb.png.418ace997c42661f7e94ecff757360ec.png

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, RussellL360 said:

Thanks so very much for this excellent mod... and for adding Carry Capacity support on top of it :)

Wish List: add support for the "More Variants" mod by DArkHekRoMaNT please please pretty please? :)

I'm going to add it myself when I complete the mod library for normal compatibility work.  Now this can only be added with a micromod (like with CarryCapasity)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, ray57913 said:

so I copied my world over to another computer so I could try 1.14p11 with breaking my current game.  When I logged in all of my creates were empty. they were all there and the right size just empty. 

yeah unfortunately 1.13 versions won't be compatible with 1.14 due to some renaming of certain Vintage Story functions. Many code mods will have this same issue. I'll be releasing a 1.14 compatible version shortly.

On 10/30/2020 at 5:12 PM, AcidaliaP said:

Hello I am interested in learning how to mod, and I would like to adapt your mod in a slightly different direction. Would that be alright with you? Do you have any tips?

Thank you, 

AcidaliaP

You can do whatever you like. I noticed what you are wanting to accomplish and it may not require something as complex as what I do with this mod. As far as tips it's best to start small and build from there. The modding help channel in the VS discord can be very helpful if you ever get stuck on something.

• Dauron changed the title to Better Crates v1.2.0

Hello! First thanks for this mod! Now I would like to report a bug I'm having with it after today's game update to v1.14.0. I have installed the updated files for this mod as well as Extra Chests and Carry Capacity (these are the only 3 mods I use). My bug is that while I can add items to a crate with a right-click, I can't take items out of the crate with a left-click. While all that happens with left-clicking with a open hand is I get the damage particles. If I break the crate with an axe, I do get the items that were in the crate! I should add that Extra Chests and Carry Capacity are working properly.

Thank you,

Mark

40 minutes ago, meggert@wi.rr.com said:

Hello! First thanks for this mod! Now I would like to report a bug I'm having with it after today's game update to v1.14.0. I have installed the updated files for this mod as well as Extra Chests and Carry Capacity (these are the only 3 mods I use). My bug is that while I can add items to a crate with a right-click, I can't take items out of the crate with a left-click. While all that happens with left-clicking with a open hand is I get the damage particles. If I break the crate with an axe, I do get the items that were in the crate! I should add that Extra Chests and Carry Capacity are working properly.

Thank you,

Mark

Thanks for reporting this. I'm not really sure what happened, but I recompiled the mod and it seems to have fixed it. Uploading version 1.2.2 now. Please try it out and let me know of any other issues. Thanks again!

• Dauron changed the title to Better Crates v1.2.2
  • 2 weeks later...

Our server is running version 1.14 with better crates version 1.2.2 and sometimes it is difficult to put fired crocks into the better crates. many of them seem to go in just fine but sometimes one will not want to go in and you have to place it and pick it up dozens of times and eventually the crate will accept it.

Edited by Demonhavok

5 hours ago, Demonhavok said:

Our server is running version 1.14 with better crates version 1.2.2 and sometimes it is difficult to put fired crocks into the better crates. many of them seem to go in just fine but sometimes one will not want to go in and you have to place it and pick it up dozens of times and eventually the crate will accept it.

Thanks for the report.

It appears that when a crock is fresh made in the firepit it doesn't have an attribute of "sealed" set yet. Once it's placed on the ground and picked back up it then has it. This doesn't mean its actually sealed it just has the info set to either true or false. So there is basically 2 kinds of crocks that a crate should allow: one's that are fresh made and never placed down/picked up, and ones that have been placed down/picked back up. That's why they aren't combining in a crate because the vanilla "equals" method sees one crock with the "sealed" attribute and one without. I only had to place a crock down once and pick up to fix in my testing.

This is a vanilla bug with the way crocks are handled, it's not noticed because you can't stack crocks in your inventory as they only stack to 1. If you could then your inventory would have 2 different empty crocks that don't stack together.

To make sure they all stack properly in a crate you should only need to place it down and pick up one time if it's freshly made and then it should match all others that have been handled the same way.

In my testing I also noticed something else about the crocks (and bowls) that I didn't realize was happening. I'll be working on a update to address all of this over the next day or two.

Thanks again for the report. It's hard to test everything.

yeah I figured out that if you use the bowl on the crock it breaks the seal as normal but if you use the crock on the bowl it dishes out a portion but remains sealed. When I empty one of these sealed crocks and then try and place it in the crate that is where I think the issue occurs. I found that by switching food from another crock into it then back out again it fixes the state and I can place it in the crate. Much better than 30 shelves to place everything on lol

• Dauron changed the title to Better Crates v1.2.3
5 hours ago, Demonhavok said:

yeah I figured out that if you use the bowl on the crock it breaks the seal as normal but if you use the crock on the bowl it dishes out a portion but remains sealed. When I empty one of these sealed crocks and then try and place it in the crate that is where I think the issue occurs. I found that by switching food from another crock into it then back out again it fixes the state and I can place it in the crate. Much better than 30 shelves to place everything on lol

I updated the mod. Server and clients will need it. Should fix the issue with the crocks. Let me know if you are still having issues.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.