Wild Farming

jakecool19

Hello World, this mod allows for the farming of flowers(including crotons and rafflesia), berry bushes, and mushrooms. It also overhauls tree growth.

531954827_VintageStory10_19_202011_02_27AM.png.146bac335191dcc6407be01b6da5f451.png

Seed Extraction And Plant Reproduction

Spoiler

Seeds from grain can be extracted by putting it into a crafting grid with a wooden pan.

Seeds from vegetables and legumes can be extracted using shears in the crafting grid.

Reed roots and vine tips can be grown and split into two by putting them in the crafting grid with a full bucket of water.

Place vine tips up somewhere high, and the tip will grow down leaving vine sections you can harvest.

Place seaweed trimmings in deep water and they will grow up, leaving seaweed you can harvest

Place mushrooms in a barrel of rot and seal to create starting spawns, which can be placed in fertile ground to grow mushrooms.

Seeds for flowers, fruits, cacti, and fern can be extracted with a knife in the crafting grid. These seeds do not require farmland or water, but they are sensitive to temperature and will get a heat boost in a greenhouse.

Pine trees can be scored with a knife to leak resin.

Tree Farming

Spoiler

All saplings/trees have specific needs in order to grow them. They must all be planted on farmland, in a certain temperature range, have a minimum amount of moisture, and have enough nutrients to grow or regenerate. The trunk of the tree will tell you its needs and you can apply fertilizer to the farmland the tree is planted it by right clicking the trunk. Trees will regenerate leaves if they meet the above criteria and the place where the leaves should go is not blocked. Trees grow into the next stage if they meet all the above criteria, and they have all their leaves, if a leaf is blocked by something the tree will never mature. Because trees require constant moisture, it is wise to have them by a source of water. Farmland adjacent to water will maintain 75% moisture, 1 block away it maintains 50% moisture, and 2 blocks away 25%. Leaves and branches will regenerate BUT destroying a log will kill the tree and the trunk will die and turn into a regular log. The in-game Botany guide will give you more specific information on the needs of individual trees.

Config Settings

Spoiler

"MaxTreeGrowthStages": How many times trees grow until they are fully mature,
  "SaplingToTreeSize": Starting size of trees grown from saplings,
  "TreeSizePerGrowthStage": How much bigger the tree gets with every growth stage,
  "TreeRevertGrowthTempThreshold": How much colder or hotter the tree can get past its min and max temperature before growth and regeneration resets,
  "TreeRegenMultiplier": Speed at which trees regenerate leaves,
  "HarshWildPlants": If disabled, wild plants will ignore temperature,
  "FlowersEnabled": If true seeds for flowers can be crafted,
  "SeedPanningEnabled": If true muddy gravel can be panned for shells and seeds,
  "CropSeedsEnabled": Crops seeds can be extracted,
  "BushSeedsEnabled": Seeds for bushes can be made,
  "CactiSeedsEnabled": Seeds for cacti can be made,
  "MushroomSpawnEnabled": Starter cultures for mushrooms can be made,
  "VineGrowthEnabled": Vine will grow with this enabled,
  "LogScoringEnabled": Pine logs can be cut to leak resin,
  "ReedCloningEnabled": Reed roots can be grown,
  "LivingTreesEnabled": Trees will have dynamic needs and growth stages,
  "HarshSaplingsEnabled": When enabled saplings will require the same thing as trees. When disabled it will use vanilla mechanics,
  "SeaweedGrowthEnabled": If true seaweed will grow

Report any bugs or give feedback on this forum page. Enjoy!

https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/53

Disclaimer: Please post any bug reports, suggestions, and feedback on the forum page of this mod. Anywhere else, such as Discord, will be ignored!

Edited by jakecool19
Version 1.1.1
  • Like 7

Updated to v_0.2 which includes:

- Seeds can be extracted from berry bushes to grow new bushes

- Growing plants will break if the block they are under breaks

- Added json attributes "hours", "minTemp", and "maxTemp" for further easy customization

- Temperatures are displayed in block and item info

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Gallus0Razielim said:

I like the idea of mushroom Propigation. But it seems like the sort of thing that should be a multiple step process. Like leather processing level.

perhaps very low reliability , speed, and yield on soil (better soil for small boosts), a shaded pot for the first step up, a specially shaped, cleansed, and treated nurse log for the second step up, a leather layered growth box for better results yet, and eventually some form of extracted gelatin growth chamber for late game super harvest?  maybe a few more steps throughout.  and maybe augment slots/multiblock improvements with certain mushrooms needing special environments to help them?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Why not just look up how people grow mushrooms in real life and keep it at least semi-realistic like the rest of the game? The more you over-complicate something (especially something that in reality isn't at all difficult) the less likely someone is to use your mod.

Shiitake Mushrooms are grown on hardwood or hardwood sawdust, oyster mushrooms are grown on straw and white button mushrooms are grown on composted manure (typically, but you can get success with regular compost)... A little dirt on top and a spritz of water and a cool, dark, damp place plus a little time and presto!

EDIT - Most types of edible mushrooms can even be grown outside with no issues by drilling holes in logs and leaning them up against something in a stand of trees for cover and spritzing them occasionally if it's not raining enough. Growing mushrooms in somewhat primitive greenhouses dates back to at least the 1800s, so making the process complex and annoying for the player is entirely unnecessary and probably annoying to code as well.

Edited by Godogma
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Godogma said:

Why not just look up how people grow mushrooms in real life and keep it at least semi-realistic like the rest of the game? The more you over-complicate something (especially something that in reality isn't at all difficult) the less likely someone is to use your mod.

Shiitake Mushrooms are grown on hardwood or hardwood sawdust, oyster mushrooms are grown on straw and white button mushrooms are grown on composted manure (typically, but you can get success with regular compost)... A little dirt on top and a spritz of water and a cool, dark, damp place plus a little time and presto!

EDIT - Most types of edible mushrooms can even be grown outside with no issues by drilling holes in logs and leaning them up against something in a stand of trees for cover and spritzing them occasionally if it's not raining enough. Growing mushrooms in somewhat primitive greenhouses dates back to at least the 1800s, so making the process complex and annoying for the player is entirely unnecessary and probably annoying to code as well.

i actually have done so irl, i also know 2 scientists whom i am friends with that do various types of fungal/mycanid research as hobbies, thus my suggestions for what versions would fall where in the simplest/least effective to best versions, most of which would be fairly simple how i suggested them, instead of going into the huge diatribes i had to listed to about nutrient powders, antibiotics, moisture controlling fans, specialized light conditions, wood preference... seriously, if you want to lose an ear the too much chatter ask a fugi nerd about their projects... and this coming from someone who is an inventor and loves to learn haha

And yet I've had decent results with a log, a drill bit and a piece of oak from my front yard.

Just because you can make things overly complicated doesn't mean you have to. Unless you're going to boost growth rate, satiation etc for mushrooms it's just not worth the extra effort because they only give 80 satiation to start with.

EDIT: Having just checked I've confirmed that they're the least effective 'vegetable' class crop in the game with all the others varying between 100 and 300 satiation; would being able to grow them be very neat and entertaining for a homestead build? It sure would, but making them require all sorts of custom assets to even produce reliably or in useful fashion means there's not going to be a lot of interest if you have to jump through a lot of hoops for the current reward.

Edited by Godogma

Amen to that.

There's a lot of ways to do things. Sure, if you're a hobbyist you can set up a hydroponic garden with perfectly measured nutrient levels, lights, spacing, the works. Or you could just do what my family has done for my whole life and just dig rows, throw some seeds down, add some fertilizer occasionally and then harvest a buncha stuff. Or you could grow stuff in vertical pots. There's about a thousand and one ways to do things in a lazy but effective way.

Mushrooms can also be grown in lazy but effective ways. The easiest and laziest way I know of is just drilling some holes in a damp log and stuffing bits of the mushroom stems into the holes and waiting. Low tech, low fuss. I also concur with Godogma: the less complicated a process is, the more likely I am going to care about it from a game-play perspective, and the less interested I will be with mods that add overly complicated systems to the game because they will almost invariably be systems I will rarely if ever actually use. This is especially true if there is a less troublesome way to achieve similar results that doesn't waste time and energy.

That said, I actually popped over here to note that none of the plants I've been planting with this mod are growing. I'm guessing maybe something in the 1.14 update broke it. They will get to the "less than a day" stage of growth and then just sit there forever. Literal weeks have gone by at "less than one day" left to grow. It's kind of become a running gag with our group that plays on the server ("Well a day to god is as a thousand years, so they must be very divine plants").

1: i love that joke ashiel.

2: that was what i suggested, that you can do the easy way if you want, the better ways are for making much more prolific batches, quicker regrowth, or maybe custom better mushroom items with better stats.  and yeah, they look nice as other later game stuff would, but you can also keep lowtech and just not care about massive crop yield and grinding.  you want to just have a fairy ring of stumps around your base? go for it, its slow, but works, you want a mushroom box that pumps out soup ingredients in your near-modern kitchen set up? that works too, just a bit pricey to get set up.  having levels to everything makes it so it fits anyone's playstyle.

I've noticed if your in creative you can simple shift right-click with mushrooms in your had and it will plant it on the ground. 

I was thinking about being able to shift harvest mushroom stims to simply be able to move them by added a new item called mushroom stim that you could shift click to plant by removing making it so you can plant it in survival without being in creative. it's simple and as mentioned they are not a vary good food source compared to other crops.

I'm one of those annoying Minecraft players that have an auto farm and auto sorting system for every farmable crop and item in the game even if I don't use most of them at all. some farms are simply there just to be there. I don't actually use them all. I wish there was a way to auto sort items in VS that would be one of the best things ever to me.

I was going to add a way to grow berry bushes in my mod but when I seen this mod I decided not to do it. it would have been done differently. it would make all berry bushes have the ability to stack 2 bushes high and what would happen is when you plant just the one bush on the bottom above it would grow a small bush that would get bigger overtime until full size then it would become farmable. you could then break the top bush and place it down then you would have the two bushes start growing a new bush on top of each of them. I don't remember what mod it was. I want to think it was a pam's harvest craft mod but not sure in Minecraft that make a berry bush spread and grow not only up but sideways too. I don't know the limits to how big these can get but it was something like that which game be the thought of doing something similar in VS.

if I could simply remove the creative only tag for planting a mushroom down I would. it would be a very basic and simple mushroom farming option as a stand alone mod.

• Like 1

Is it just me or is impossible to extract seeds from bushes? The mod seems to work for the flowers, even for horsetail, but I can't extract from berry bushes

@Sukotto82

it would make all berry bushes have the ability to stack 2 bushes high

That would be at least partly incorrect, I don't not about cranberries, but blueberry bushes are low on the ground, they don't grow tall

Edited by Stefano Da Giau

2 hours ago, Sukotto82 said:

I've noticed if your in creative you can simple shift right-click with mushrooms in your had and it will plant it on the ground. 

I was thinking about being able to shift harvest mushroom stims to simply be able to move them by added a new item called mushroom stim that you could shift click to plant by removing making it so you can plant it in survival without being in creative. it's simple and as mentioned they are not a vary good food source compared to other crops.

I'm one of those annoying Minecraft players that have an auto farm and auto sorting system for every farmable crop and item in the game even if I don't use most of them at all. some farms are simply there just to be there. I don't actually use them all. I wish there was a way to auto sort items in VS that would be one of the best things ever to me.

I was going to add a way to grow berry bushes in my mod but when I seen this mod I decided not to do it. it would have been done differently. it would make all berry bushes have the ability to stack 2 bushes high and what would happen is when you plant just the one bush on the bottom above it would grow a small bush that would get bigger overtime until full size then it would become farmable. you could then break the top bush and place it down then you would have the two bushes start growing a new bush on top of each of them. I don't remember what mod it was. I want to think it was a pam's harvest craft mod but not sure in Minecraft that make a berry bush spread and grow not only up but sideways too. I don't know the limits to how big these can get but it was something like that which game be the thought of doing something similar in VS.

if I could simply remove the creative only tag for planting a mushroom down I would. it would be a very basic and simple mushroom farming option as a stand alone mod.

Sounds like a good couple of mods to have to me if you were interested in putting them together.

1 hour ago, Stefano Da Giau said:

Is it just me or is impossible to extract seeds from bushes? The mod seems to work for the flowers, even for horsetail, but I can't extract from berry bushes

@Sukotto82

That would be at least partly incorrect, I don't not about cranberries, but blueberry bushes are low on the ground, they don't grow tall

Our blueberry bushes here are taller than me and I'm 6'2" tall.

Looking it up evidently there are both "high-bush" and "low-bush" varieties of blueberries and some of them grow up to 12 feet tall; I suppose the ones we planted are of a high bush variety. Low bush blueberries evidently grow to between 2 and 4 feet tall.

13 hours ago, Godogma said:

Sounds like a good couple of mods to have to me if you were interested in putting them together.

Our blueberry bushes here are taller than me and I'm 6'2" tall.

Looking it up evidently there are both "high-bush" and "low-bush" varieties of blueberries and some of them grow up to 12 feet tall; I suppose the ones we planted are of a high bush variety. Low bush blueberries evidently grow to between 2 and 4 feet tall.

Ok then I guess italian alps ones are the midget kind lol pardon my ignorance

1: i agree, and it also makes sense, especially since the animals can be tamed over generations so why not selective crop breeding or at least better specialized farming?

2: "if anything can be automated*, it should be automated"  *(with the same or better results than what was done before) is one of my mottos so i totally get that viewpoint.

3: there are abut 16 known bushes in the "blueberry" family plus about 9 other species that are wrongly called blueberries, the smallest types are only shrubs about 8 inches wide by 3 inches tall, the largest are a small tree that can be about 22ft or so and 10 ft across... roughly, nature and all.  the most standard commercial crop plant in america is about 4 ft wide and 5 ft tall, though they prune it back to increase yield

4: yeah, there is a reason that hoppers were one of the first items ripped from a mod into base game minecraft

5: the new update borked a lot of crop mods so possibly

6: the variety that you likely have is indeed a shrub variety, those are more common to such higher elevations, however they can grow a decent bit larger with very careful change of location and soil nutrients being ideal.

22 hours ago, Godogma said:

I'll leave that up to jakecool19 since they are already working on a mod related to this. up to them what they decide to do with it but I'm not good enough for adding new mechanics to the game. I haven't touched the coding only messed with some of the JSON. files with my Clay+Misc. mod and I'm still learning. I need to rewrite my entire mod for right now I do everything in the roaming>vintagestory>assets>survival folder and then use the mod maker to create the zip for the mod then I unzip the mod add a textures folder with the textures to it then re zip it and put it up on the mod released forum. 

I need to start doing things in a mod folder instead of the games asset>survival folder and get used to using game: reference before everything related to vanilla assets so adding a new growing mechanic like spreading berry bushes or something is currently beyond what I can do lol.

• Like 1

Sorry guys for the radio silence, I have been really busy with school work as I am finishing up finals this week. I will release an update later today that will address the non growing problem, caused by an api update in 1.14. Also now wild plants will benefit from greenhouse bonus just like normal crops! As far as mushroom farming goes, mass mushroom farming did not really happen until much later in history so I did not think that I would add it, although seeing the demand for it I might add a feature to allow mushrooms to spread randomly, similar to Minecraft mushrooms, so players could get reliable amounts from certain spots, although right now I'm working on a much bigger mod building off of this one right now. I have got the code part of it done for the most part now which leaves a lot tedious JSON patching/adding to do, which I will have plenty of time to do with winter break next week, so MAYBE I might have an early access version of the mod out next week 😉. Thank you all for your feedback and reports, and please let me know any other bugs/changes you would like to see.

Edited by jakecool19
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Mass Mushroom farming? Who wants mass mushroom farming? We're on homestead scale if that; having reliable mushroom farms where you want them on a household level is very easily doable and has been done for centuries.

Not to mention now we have blast furnaces in the base game; Vintage Story has firmly entered the Industrial era.

I like the greenhouse bonus for wild plants though and I'm glad you haven't just abandoned the mod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.