Game freezes on character customization screen

Dean Yockey

While the game runs fine on my main computer, I wanted to be able to get it to run on my brother's computer too, so we could play together online. Unfortunately, we can't get it to work on my brother's computer. Even when on the lowest graphical settings, the game freezes on the character customization screen, before any models load. The game doesn't actually crash, and we just have to end the game process, so there's no crash report but I was advised to include client-main.txt, so it's attached below. My brother's computer can run most 3D games, and we've played MC online using his computer.

We just got the game a few days ago, so we're using version 1.13.4.0.

Computer specs:

Windows 10 Home. (Version 1803, OS Build 17134.765)
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, 3.50 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

DirextX Version: DirectX 12

Graphics Device:
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Approx Total Memory: 4064 MB
Display Memory (VRAM): 480 MB
Shared Memory: 3583 MB

I've included DxDiag.txt, too, with information from dxdiag about my system information.

I hope that's enough information. I really would like to be able to play with my brother online.

client-main.txt DxDiag.txt

In client-main.txt, we can see this as the very last log entry:

21.10.2020 19:54:24 [Error] after final compo   - OpenGL threw an error: InvalidOperation Enable Gl Debug Mode in the settings or clientsettings.json to track this error

Try following the recommendation. Find clientsettings.json in your data folder (typically %appdata%\VintagestoryData), look for "glDebugMode": false, and set it to true.

Run the game again. I'm not exactly sure what's supposed to happen, but I suspect that it'll write alot of extra stuff into the logs. Describe the result and provide client-main.txt and potentially also client-debug.txt if there is anything interesting in there.

After doing that, the game crashed instantly on startup. The text in the crash reporter says:

Running on 64 bit Windows with 8 GB RAM
Version: v1.13.4 (Stable)10/23/2020 1:19:25 PM: Critical error occurred
System.Exception: GL_INVALID_VALUE error generated. Program handle does not refer to an object generated by OpenGL.
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientPlatformWindows.DebugCallback(DebugSource source, DebugType type, Int32 id, DebugSeverity severity, Int32 length, IntPtr message, IntPtr userParam)
   at OpenTK.Graphics.OpenGL.GL.GetUniformLocation(Int32 program, String name)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ShaderProgram.Compile()
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientPlatformWindows.Start()
   at _lYLQLGyldvbDG9rPQyiRVeIqQVp._EEzpApWBQHtHR4iMJabXK2wDvlA(_ex0VSgRAdtsvhANmJHZHaf9ATWt , String[] )
   at _IcGByoJhapvESnm6vaOawAHbkeU._EEzpApWBQHtHR4iMJabXK2wDvlA(ThreadStart )
-------------------------------

I included client-debug.txt and client-main.txt. I don't think client-debug has anything useful in it, but I wouldn't really know, so here it is anyways.

client-main.txt seems to say something similar to the text above, about "GL_INVALID_VALUE" and I'm not really sure how to deal with that.

Also, I included client-crash.txt, just in case, since this is the first time it actually produced this file, but it seems to say similar stuff.

client-debug.txt client-main.txt client-crash.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.