The serious need for Armor.

tony Liberatto

When starting a new world is acceptable to be killed by monsters and wild animals. After you build a base and progress into the game you should be able to get some protection.

Not talking about a god mode or being indestructible. Just something that would give the player better chances of surviving. After all, when you are already in the bronze age and calmly in the forest cutting down an Oak tree, you do not expect to suddenly be surrounded by 12 wolves, when that happens no amount of fast clicking can save you.

We just got clothing like, 2 updates ago.  I'm guessing we'll get armor fairly soon.  Even if it's just leather to start.  Wolves are fairly easy to deal with by pillaring, honestly.  Also some of you new players may not know, you can throw plain old rocks as weapon.  You just hold control and hold right click, iirc.

Edited by redram

Ya, if they catch you in a container or writing on a sign it's pretty much curtains.  I was wrong on the rock throwing btw, it's control and right click, not shift.  Another fun fact, you can place rocks back on the ground after you've picked them up.  That one is probably shift-right-click.   Can't do it with ores or flint though, sadly.  You also can't throw ores and and flint as weapons.

Can't wait for armour.  Wolves wont be the terrifying foes that currently are now.  Which is fine because I'm sure there will be much more terrifying one shot kill foes after armour is implemented.  I hope armour is better designed though as to not make all other amour but diamond armour (just an example) useless.  Does anyone every actually craft leather armour in Minecraft?  Maybe heavy armour will have speed and swimming reductions or something.  I dunno.  I suppose a big difference with this game is you can't simply craft an iron pickaxe, do a bunch of strip minning and have the best armour within a few ingame days.  So maybe it wont be as much of a problem with the different crafting ages in place.  Maybe you'll have to craft leather armour as thats all you'll have for some time.

Well, depending on how the crafting works exactly, in theory the heavier armors could take dramatically more material and time.  As long as they eventually wear out, it will add up over time, and be a possible deterrent.  Speed reductions are possibly the worst penalty in a game like this.  It doesn't take much to make a thing totally undesirable.  The could implement a rule that you cannot sleep while wearing heavy armor.  That's make it more an inconvenience.  Possibly reduce the number of containers the player can carry, or limit the types.  But inventory is another penalty one has to be very careful about.

Speed limits for heavy armor might be viable if you have alternate methods of transportation, like horse-drawn carriage, trains, boats, ... where the lower walk or run speed doesn't matter. If the game eventually gets some Smart Moving like abilities - charge jumping, grabbing onto ledges, climbing, dangling from certain ceilings, crawling through 1 block large holes, ... - this could be another thing you could take away from players wearing heavy armor.

The game could be full of decisions such as "do I want more protection, or stay agile?". Doing this would also mean that heavy armor can actually make you feel really powerful, because it can be balanced in such a way that most conventional attacks have little to no effect, and you wouldn't have to worry standing in the middle of a horde of drifters and take a bit of an ineffective beating, not worrying about trying to avoid attacks or anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DMKW said:

I hope armour is better designed though as to not make all other amour but diamond armour (just an example) useless.  Does anyone every actually craft leather armour in Minecraft?

No worries, we never intended to make any armor type useless. Particularly the leather! It will be a must to have, if you want to step inside the cave to get the bronze. Armors will go hand in hand with metal age player is currently in.

And yea, there will be no diamond armors, however, various gem decoration (on your armor piece) for visual purposes is certainly thinkable! I would like using diamonds for encrusting drills, few high tier tools, jewellery, as an expensive trade good and perhaps to simply hord them under a beautiful display case to show off your wealth. ^_^

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saraty said:

And yea, there will be no diamond armors, however, various gem decoration (on your armor piece) for visual purposes is certainly thinkable! I would like using diamonds for encrusting drills, few high tier tools, jewellery, as an expensive trade good and perhaps to simply hord them under a beautiful display case to show off your wealth. ^_^

Really like that. 

3 hours ago, copygirl said:

If the game eventually gets some Smart Moving like abilities - charge jumping, grabbing onto ledges, climbing, dangling from certain ceilings, crawling through 1 block large holes, ... - this could be another thing you could take away from players wearing heavy armor.

Ya, those would also be good disadvantages.  Maybe if there were locked loot chests, and you could pick the lock (but not in heavy armor) and if you simply break the chest you only get like, half the stuff inside.  Ya, I agree there could be all kinds of disadvantages that don't depend on a speed nerf.

• 2 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.