Prospecting loose stones

Criperum

For me it feels tedious to dig a huge hole in the soil or gravel to get to the single stone block to propick it. As i know in real life geologists examine and break loose stones found on the ground to get the general impression of what they can find under the ground without actually digging.

I think it would be nice to get that ability in the game. Like you use propick on a loose stone(or three) and it gives you some less precise info about possible ores in the chunk.

Or even better loose stones can be just included in the list of blocks that can be propicked with the first mode. 

I mean for example you propick one loose stone and 2 blocks, 2 loose stones and 1 block etc.

1 hour ago, Владислав Кудряшов said:

As i know in real life geologists examine and break loose stones found on the ground to get the general impression of what they can find under the ground without actually digging.

That's already the case. For example, if you find a peridotit stone, there'll be a peridotit layer where you might find peridot or olivine, which you can't find in other stone types, or things like copper or iron. Found a chalk stone? You will find chalk and maybe certain other stuff underneath, but not tin or bismuth or certain other stuff, at least in the chalk layer. Bauxit? Nothing. Want to find tin that's close to the top? Look in areas with peridotit, andesite, granite, basalt, phyllite or slate stones. Found suevite stones? Great indicator for meteorites and maybe some diamonds. Want to use obsidian instead of flint? Look for basalt. And so on... The info where to find what is in the handbook.

And of course, if you find a stone with, for example, copper in it, just dig straig down a couple of blocks and you'll find a small surface deposit.

Edited by junawood

2 hours ago, Владислав Кудряшов said:

Can you place a stone on the ground so it became loose stone again?

Yes, just crouch and right click, just like placing ceramics and so forth.  Won't work with flint, but works with all other general stones afaik.  And yes this is exactly how it was used before it was patched out - carry around a bunch of stones and place them conveniently for easy prospecting.

I personally wish the propic could just work if you right clicked a block or something. Having to make random holes in the ground is annoying and to top it off, the propic isn't really that fast at digging, making it all the more annoying.

2 hours ago, Feone Varen said:

Hm I don't really notice a shortage of stones on the ground usually, not sure if this will have that much impact there.

I think the point is being able to prospect exactly where you want easily, making it much easier to make a sample grid. Which I guess is kind of an exploit, but I dunno, is having people dig down for like 2~3 blocks of dirt when they want to prospect really that important?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.