Meteoric Expansion v1.2.2 - New Content: Meteor Showers

Taska Raine

Meteoric Expansion

The skies burn with balls of fire barrelling towards the planet at cosmic speeds....Is this the apocalypse?

Meteor_jpg.thumb.jpg.62f7239f0c89d9859195a6d78a4e4b92.jpg

Welcome to Meteoric Expansion!

This mod aims to bring the cosmos to Vintage Story in a very literal sense. In vanilla Vintage Story it's possible to stumble across small surface deposits of meteoric iron...but where did it come from? Meteors don't exist in vanilla!

Meteoric Expansion fills this space. This mod will spawn occasional randomized meteors that will streak through the skies, burning up or exploding like a real meteor would. There's also a small chance that they'll crash to the ground, depositing their riches into the world...!

Additionally, cosmetic meteor showers are an uncommon occurance. Day or night, you may see bands of glittering trails as meteors burn up high in the atmosphere.

IMPORTANT

Meteoric Expansion ships with configurable options!

The falling meteor system and cosmetic meteor shower system are independant of one another. Each can be disabled in the Meteoric Expansion config if you'd prefer to just have one of the systems active.

By default meteors are NOT destructive and will NOT damage the world or player structures. With the destructive option set to false Meteoric Expansion is mostly cosmetic. You may find a few scattered bits at the collision site, but no meteorite embedded in the ground. Risk vs reward...  

To change your config, load up a game with the mod installed and enabled. After the mod runs once, a MeteoricExpansionConfig.json file will be available for edit in...

'C:\Users\{Your Username}\AppData\Roaming\VintagestoryData\ModConfig'

Exit to menu, edit this file, then load your save to see the changes!

Further config details can be found by opening the mod ZIP and reading the readme in 'assets\meteoricexpansion\config\'

Download Mod

Download the latest version of Meteoric Expansion for Vintage Story 1.17.0: Meteoric Expansion v1.2.2

To download previous versions of the mod, view version change logs, report issues, or to view the mod source files, please visit: Meteoric Expansion GitHub

My Other Mods

Ancient Tools: A collection of useful tools from ancient times.

Ore Crystals: Adds crystals to ore deposits along with other various crystal-based craftables!

Item Lights: Gives items the same illumination capabilities as blocks.

Enjoying my mods? Please do consider supporting me on Patreon, it'd be a great help!

Digital-Patreon-Wordmark_WhiteOnBlack-Sm.thumb.jpg.d959c3c2204366bdde5f2ce93820814f.jpg

Edited by Taska Raine
Updated to version 1.2.2
  • Like 5
  • Cookie time 1
  • Amazing! 3
  • Mind=blown 2
  • Thanks 1

• Taska Raine changed the title to Meteoric Expansion v1.0.1

I've just updated Meteoric Expansion to version 1.0.1.

This fixes a bug discovered by lisabet where meteor codes would be used instead of names within the handbook. 

Also, meteors will no longer spawn with rhodochrosite or pentlandite as a mineral. These minerals aren't currently used in vanilla for anything so I saw no reason to use them in meteors.

23 hours ago, Taska Raine said:

I've just updated Meteoric Expansion to version 1.0.1.

This fixes a bug discovered by lisabet where meteor codes would be used instead of names within the handbook. 

Also, meteors will no longer spawn with rhodochrosite or pentlandite as a mineral. These minerals aren't currently used in vanilla for anything so I saw no reason to use them in meteors.

Is 6 chunks the maximum distance because of game limit or personal choice? Also, would it be possible to have the spawn rate in the config set in seconds and not in minutes? :3

• Cookie time 1

It was personal preference really. I'm not aware of any limits to the distance that they spawn... the only trouble I forsee might be if they 'land' where the chunks haven't been loaded. No resources or anything will spawn, I hope that's all that would happen. I can totally add config options to control that with the next update if there are no major problems.

I can change to seconds too but that comes with a potential problem that I noticed in testing... too many meteor tails out at once eat up a lot of particles and well, then the tails become patchy when there's none left to use x3. I'll look into that one. Since it's controlable, shouldn't be a problem.

2 hours ago, Taska Raine said:

It was personal preference really. I'm not aware of any limits to the distance that they spawn... the only trouble I forsee might be if they 'land' where the chunks haven't been loaded. No resources or anything will spawn, I hope that's all that would happen. I can totally add config options to control that with the next update if there are no major problems.

I can change to seconds too but that comes with a potential problem that I noticed in testing... too many meteor tails out at once eat up a lot of particles and well, then the tails become patchy when there's none left to use x3. I'll look into that one. Since it's controlable, shouldn't be a problem.

Oh I haven't thought about that, the matter was just to check if everything is working properly, now that I think about it I haven't seen anything in the first 2 hours of a playthrough, and I set the mod to activate every 1-2 minutes, is there a sound effect triggered by the fall/impact by any chance?

25 minutes ago, Stefano Da Giau said:

Oh I haven't thought about that, the matter was just to check if everything is working properly, now that I think about it I haven't seen anything in the first 2 hours of a playthrough, and I set the mod to activate every 1-2 minutes, is there a sound effect triggered by the fall/impact by any chance?

Yep, if they are within sound range you should hear a slight sizzle There are airburst sounds and impact noises when they hit the ground, too. That's odd... you should be seeing them frequently enough at that spawn rate, at least in the distance.

Do you see any errors in your server/client logs at C:\Users\{You}\AppData\Roaming\VintagestoryData\Logs ?

If you could share the contents of your config, too, that would be great. In case that something got tweaked that shouldn't have been.

Edited by Taska Raine

8 hours ago, Taska Raine said:

Yep, if they are within sound range you should hear a slight sizzle There are airburst sounds and impact noises when they hit the ground, too. That's odd... you should be seeing them frequently enough at that spawn rate, at least in the distance.

Do you see any errors in your server/client logs at C:\Users\{You}\AppData\Roaming\VintagestoryData\Logs ?

If you could share the contents of your config, too, that would be great. In case that something got tweaked that shouldn't have been.

I only found right now a line in the client-main.txt file stating:

8.12.2020 21:38:03 [Warning] Texture asset 'meteoricexpansion:textures/.png' not found (defined in Shape file meteoricexpansion:entity/meteor)

Edited by Stefano Da Giau

4 hours ago, Stefano Da Giau said:

I only found right now a line in the client-main.txt file stating:

8.12.2020 21:38:03 [Warning] Texture asset 'meteoricexpansion:textures/.png' not found (defined in Shape file meteoricexpansion:entity/meteor)

Ah, that warning is a result of some code that I forgot to remove. It shouldn't have any effect on the operation of the mod.

The only other thing that I can think of is that you may have edited the backup config in the .zip folder for the mod instead of the config in the VintagestoryData\ModConfig folder, or that the the config was reset to default for some reason and the meteors never came close enough to be audible.

I'll try to put out an update that will let you control the spawn range shortly.

Ah, that warning is a result of some code that I forgot to remove. It shouldn't have any effect on the operation of the mod.

The only other thing that I can think of is that you may have edited the backup config in the .zip folder for the mod instead of the config in the VintagestoryData\ModConfig folder, or that the the config was reset to default for some reason and the meteors never came close enough to be audible.

I'll try to put out an update that will let you control the spawn range shortly.

Nope :3 I knew there was one in the .zip file but I didn't touch it

• Taska Raine changed the title to Meteoric Expansion v1.0.2

I have found 1-2 spots that look like the meteorite sites near my base but with nothing inside, so you may be right about what happens when they land in areas that I haven't been through yet.

23 hours ago, Taska Raine said:

No resources or anything will spawn, I hope that's all that would happen

On 12/7/2020 at 12:31 AM, JabZ said:

How close to me can they spawn? I'd like to use the destructive ones to get meteoric Iron but I'm afraid they might hit my rather large house/windmill

I've only found 3 spots I'm certain of; first two near my base were both chromite (once in granite, once in kimberlite) and the last one while exploring was chalk and galena; I assume meteoric iron is a possibility but it's not the only possibility :)  I also noticed (I assume this is connected) that if you manage to find the path it streaked over you find nuggets and rock pieces from it even if you don't find the impact site.  Twice I've found magnetite nuggets (not bits) laying around and once that was along with andesite rocks; I don't recall what the other rock type was.

@Stefano Da GiauIs there a command that will check if this is functional? I installed it on a map I imported from 1.13 but I haven't ever seen a meteor and I've played several hours since I installed the mod. I changed the configuration to do destructive so I could get resources from meteors in the configuration file but I haven't seen one fall.

I think the meteors really need a rumbling sound while they're in flight, no matter how unrealistic. Right now I only ever hear the airburst/impact, and I completely miss most of them. Like, one of them streaked across a major part of the sky and impacted a mere 40 blocks behind me, and I only noticed the giant trail after the impact made me turn around in surprise.

These meteors all have Rogue levels with stealth bonuses, I tell you. Sneak up on you all the time!

Fun fact, by the way: I don't have the Destructive option turned on, so the impact did nothing to the landscape. However, I did pick up seven conglomerate rocks and five nuggets of magnetite randomly strewn over a moderate area which were definitely dropped by that thing. An insignificant amount, but I was still surprised to find anything at all.

On 12/17/2020 at 1:36 PM, Streetwind said:

I think the meteors really need a rumbling sound while they're in flight, no matter how unrealistic. Right now I only ever hear the airburst/impact, and I completely miss most of them. Like, one of them streaked across a major part of the sky and impacted a mere 40 blocks behind me, and I only noticed the giant trail after the impact made me turn around in surprise.

These meteors all have Rogue levels with stealth bonuses, I tell you. Sneak up on you all the time!

Fun fact, by the way: I don't have the Destructive option turned on, so the impact did nothing to the landscape. However, I did pick up seven conglomerate rocks and five nuggets of magnetite randomly strewn over a moderate area which were definitely dropped by that thing. An insignificant amount, but I was still surprised to find anything at all.

Meteors in real life hiss and sizzle as they move through the atmosphere, which I have tried to replicate in the mod. They do sizzle, it just... might not be loud enough to be heard on all sound setups. It likely gets drowned out by the sound of rain, too. They should begin to make noise whenever they come within 256 blocks of a player, but maybe something is preventing that from happening. I'll have to look into that.

Edit: Sounds stop playing when the meteor entity is derendered. The particle tail will still streak as the derendered meteor continues to move.

@Steel Fire

The impact sounds are slightly different, the airburst sounds more like a gunshot, higher pitched, while the ground impact one is deeper and more gravel-y. There is variance in the pitch, though, so you really need to pay attention to know which it was.

@Godogma

I kept my testing commands out of the release versions for the simple fact that they could be used to grief. The best way to test if they're working would be to reduce spawn time of the meteors to minimum 0 minutes, maximum 1 minute spawn times in the config.

Edited by Taska Raine

I have never consciously noticed a sizzling meteor. I mean, maybe I have heard the noise but did not associate it with a meteor; there's torches and firepits everywhere around me a lot of the time. If something sizzles I will probably just subconsciously associate it with that. Have you jumped into water with a lit torch recently? They go out with a very distinct sizzling noise nowadays.

• Thanks 1

Meteors in real life hiss and sizzle as they move through the atmosphere, which I have tried to replicate in the mod. They do sizzle, it just... might not be loud enough to be heard on all sound setups. It likely gets drowned out by the sound of rain, too. They should begin to make noise whenever they come within 256 blocks of a player, but maybe something is preventing that from happening. I'll have to look into that.

@Steel Fire

The impact sounds are slightly different, the airburst sounds more like a gunshot, higher pitched, while the ground impact one is deeper and more gravel-y. There is variance in the pitch, though, so you really need to pay attention to know which it was.

The sizzle can definitely get drowned out by rain noise and in some places the wind noise too. I imagine if you're in a workshop with running automation that it wouldn't be heard either.

I'll have to try to see if I can notice the airburst vs impact difference. Thanks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.