[1.14.*] Surface Translocators

LordDan

LordDan's Surface Translocators

This content-only mod adds Translocators to the surface world generation in three different variations.
Existing vanilla Translocators remain untouched.

(MOD NOW MOVED TO THE NEW MOD DIRECTORY)

This is mostly a 'toe-in-the-water' release - I have many other ideas for housing these translocators but first need to
see if there is a need for it, as such, please let me know if you find this useful and would like to see more variations.

This is also a first VS mod for me, whilst I have tested it as best as I can and made efforts to keep them fairly rare
it may not be perfect.

2021-01-18_13-20-49.png

2021-01-18_12-50-25.png

2021-01-18_12-53-04.png

lorddans-surface-translocators-b1.zip

Edited by LordDan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Do these link only to other surface translocators, or do they integrate and network with stock underground ones?

It's a content-only mod so no code changes at all. As such it uses the default Translocator code, so it will randomly pick any other Translocator on the map, surface or Vanilla.

I really like the idea of your mod because I prefer surface exploration to underground exploration. But it feels like the translocators generate too frequently and so far I have often found at least two of them in close proximity. It seems they generate clustered rather than spread out. And all of the ones I have found look like the one in your first picture above (which I thought would be the rarest variant to encounter...). I have easily found at least 10 surface translocators and all of them looked like that. This seems strange and unintended. 
Here are some pics:

map1.jpg

map2.jpg

3 hours ago, Monahven said:

I really like the idea of your mod because I prefer surface exploration to underground exploration. But it feels like the translocators generate too frequently and so far I have often found at least two of them in close proximity. It seems they generate clustered rather than spread out. And all of the ones I have found look like the one in your first picture above (which I thought would be the rarest variant to encounter...). I have easily found at least 10 surface translocators and all of them looked like that. This seems strange and unintended. [...]

Watching Ashantins videos, it seems default translocators are not too uncommon themself, but as they are underground they are harder to find.

As there weren't code changes made, i guess maybe everywhere where a translocator could have been spawned, if there wasn't a cave to generate the room adjacent to, a translocator on the surface was generated instead?

Edited by Hal13

Thanks for pointing this out, I believe I see the problem already.

I had used the vanilla surface ruins rarity values as a base and set the most common one to 0.035, the middle tier one to 0.025 and the one you're seeing most frequently to 0.15. This clearly should be 0.015 and is an error on my part. I don't wan to release a whole new version for the sake of a single zero so I'll build a new variant over the weekend and release it with that.

If you wanted to correct it yourself it's very easy to do. You just need to open lorddans-surface-translocators-b1\assets\game\patches\survival-worldgen-structures.json and change

"chance": 0.15,

to

"chance": 0.015,

and save the file.

Watching Ashantins videos, it seems default translocators are not too uncommon themself, but as they are underground they are harder to find.

I found this to be true when making this mod, I was quite surprised at how common they actually are when they appear to be much rarer than they actually are.

Edited by LordDan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LordDan said:

If you wanted to correct it yourself it's very easy to do. You just need to open lorddans-surface-translocators-b1\assets\game\patches\survival-worldgen-structures.json and change

Yeah I found those but I don't have a feeling for what the values mean, if that makes sense. Like, I don't know which values would be good or what kind of rarity they'd correspond to. Otherwise I would've changed them already. But thanks for that! 

On 1/22/2021 at 9:51 PM, Monahven said:

Yeah I found those but I don't have a feeling for what the values mean, if that makes sense. Like, I don't know which values would be good or what kind of rarity they'd correspond to. Otherwise I would've changed them already. But thanks for that! 

This is the number of attempts to spawn per chunk

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like this mod crashes under 1.15:

16.7.2021 20:40:31 [Fatal] System.Exception: Asset game:worldgen/schematics/overground/ldsurfacetrans01a.json could not be found
   à Vintagestory.Common.AssetManager.Get(AssetLocation Location)
   à Vintagestory.ServerMods.WorldGenStructure.Init(ICoreServerAPI api, BlockLayerConfig config, RockStrataConfig rockstrata, LCGRandom rand)
   à Vintagestory.ServerMods.WorldGenStructuresConfig.Init(ICoreServerAPI api)
   à Vintagestory.ServerMods.GenStructures.initWorldGen()
   à Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemSupplyChunks.LoadWorldgenHandlerAndSpawnChunks()
   à Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.EnterRunPhase(EnumServerRunPhase runPhase)
   à Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.Launch()
   à _aZ2fvA6N0dSuJcMaBGoJm3sgDNM._lHZsoVxkJ5SHBBeifPpkH8BnMus()

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, DrOldman said:

Slightly corrected. It is a pity that the author has not corrected this for a long time.
1.15.9  1.15.10

lorddans-surface-translocators-b2.zip 446.01 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for keeping this alive, I'm still around, just working nights and all the overtime I can get to recoup my losses from redundancy thanks to pandy.

I'll update the ModDB and OP when I'm free over the weekend with the appropriate credits to yourself. 

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.