Mobile Tent for exploring

Teerose

Hi, i like explore the map, while i running tousends of blocks. Everytime i take a bed and a door with me an some blocks to build a small home for the night. I takes time to build and destroy this home, so i can take the door and bed for the next thousend blocks with me for the next night. So i thought a mobile tent that makes a save  place for the night, fast building and fast destroing would be great.

Edited by Teerose
  • Like 3
  • Cookie time 1

8 minutes ago, Teerose said:

Hi, i like explore the map, while i running tousends of blocks. Everytime i take a bed and a door with me an some blocks to build a small home for the night. I takes time to build and destroy this home, so i can take the door and bed for the next thousend blocks with me for the next night. So i thought a mobile tent that makes a save  place for the night, fast building and fast destroing would be great.

Can't you just make a bed from grass along the way and use dirt/packed dirt as door?

3 hours ago, Hal13 said:

Tbh, apart from cold regions, only a bed is sufficient, or isn't it?

But yes, a tent would be great.

I mean, technically, I guess. Maybe I'm a super coward, but the idea of open air to anything spawning in the night while I'm asleep puts off.

But, if we're talking about tents, I don't know how much I would trust some oiled canvas to keep me safe from drifters, who already like trying to phase through doors to reach you.

On 3/15/2021 at 4:07 PM, Teerose said:

I takes time to build and destroy this home, so i can take the door and bed for the next thousend blocks with me

Have you tried to put a full stack of hay blocks in your inventory ? No need to dig dirt before the night and hay blocks are very quickly dismissed (2 hits). No need to take a door either. I always have a stack in my bag : instant tent, instant pillar when scaffolding, walling the drifters in caves to mine quietly, and so on ...

• Like 1

But it's not an instant tent. An instant tent would literally be a block that you place one time and turns into a tent. Might be cool if it gave you warning when being ambushed by drifters at night, like your character waking up to the sounds of drifters banging on the tent.

Yurts. We need yurts.

Make yurt "sections" and a yurt door craftable with bamboo/split bamboo, hides, cloth and string or crude rope made from vines or reeds.

When one section is placed next to another, either adjacent or diagonal to, they form a connection just as do fence segments.  When a circuit is finished and the ends are connected, a roof appears over the structure. It would count as an enclosed room.  There would also have to be coded into their creation that the sections had to be placed in such a way as to form a square or semi-circle.  No idea how that would be done, as I have no knowledge of coding limitations. 

If that could not be done easily, then perhaps yurts of various sizes could be constructed and simply placed when a player sneek-clicks a tile where the center of the yurt should be located, and the structure appears as long as it is placed on a flat, solid surface large enough to accommodate it.

There should be a minimum and a maximum size for yurts. I would envision the minimum being a 3x3 area inside the structure , and the maximum being large enough to serve as a small house.  If yurts are not customizable by placing one section at a time and need to be made and placed whole, then perhaps yurt size options could be of 3x3, 7x7, and 11x11 interior sizes.

Enthusiastically submitted for consideration...
~TH~

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 2:54 PM, Thalius said:

Yurts. We need yurts.

Make yurt "sections" and a yurt door craftable with bamboo/split bamboo, hides, cloth and string or crude rope made from vines or reeds.

When one section is placed next to another, either adjacent or diagonal to, they form a connection just as do fence segments.  When a circuit is finished and the ends are connected, a roof appears over the structure. It would count as an enclosed room.  There would also have to be coded into their creation that the sections had to be placed in such a way as to form a square or semi-circle.  No idea how that would be done, as I have no knowledge of coding limitations. 

If that could not be done easily, then perhaps yurts of various sizes could be constructed and simply placed when a player sneek-clicks a tile where the center of the yurt should be located, and the structure appears as long as it is placed on a flat, solid surface large enough to accommodate it.

There should be a minimum and a maximum size for yurts. I would envision the minimum being a 3x3 area inside the structure , and the maximum being large enough to serve as a small house.  If yurts are not customizable by placing one section at a time and need to be made and placed whole, then perhaps yurt size options could be of 3x3, 7x7, and 11x11 interior sizes.

Enthusiastically submitted for consideration...
~TH~

Sounds mostly awesome, just the bamboo part does not... Yurts are traditionally made with wood (and i haven't come across bamboo in any of my worlds yet), maybe boards (just because sticks are a bit too cheap)? and the doors look mostly like normal doors for game purposes i'd say just use the normal doors. yurts could be 5x5(ring+1in the middle)-3x3-1 (layers) multiblock structures, where each block acts like a chiseled block? but then taking it down would take at least as long as taking down a straw hut...

as far as i understand it, if it were some furniture type block like beds you could only give it 1 function not several depending on where to click, right? open/close would already be one, sleeping in it would be another and placing stuff inside wouldn't be possible, tight?

• Like 1

I understand what you are saying, but I still think they should require bamboo. Or at the very least boards should be able to be cut up into slats, but that would lock yurts behind acquiring a saw.  Bamboo is light weight, and would serve the purpose well and logically, in my book, and can be acquired without advanced tools once you find it.

As for bamboo being harder to find, I'd have no problem at all with having to travel south a long ways and search for a warmer climate zone where I can acquire bamboo if I want to build a yurt.

Some in other posts have mentioned that at the moment there is no real incentive to travel very far in the game outside of where you spawn. If everything in the game can be built with basic resources acquired in one climate band, there never will be any incentive to travel much aside from just feeling like it.  I'd love to see cool, game changing things like yurts be locked behind having to travel and search out different climates and geography.

Just my personal opinion on the subject though. ;)

~TH~

6 minutes ago, Thalius said:

but that would lock yurts behind acquiring a saw

Theoretically they would use bendable young stems (and boards, depending on type of yurt), but there's nothing like that in the game, an alternative would be sticks, but as mentioned that might be too cheap, or maybe not, maybe you can't reuse most of the sticks when breaking the yurt, similar to firebricks in bloomeries?

16 minutes ago, Thalius said:

would serve the purpose well and logically

That's something i disagree with. Most tents, especially yurts or beduin tents, are made for climates in which you'd need some form of isolation (deserts or colder climates mostly), made by material somewhat easily to be replaced, requiring material from the tropics to craft them just doesn't make sense to me.

15 minutes ago, Thalius said:

Bamboo is light weight

Player characters can carry several metric tons of material even only using their bare hands, i don't think weight is really a problem.

20 minutes ago, Thalius said:

Some in other posts have mentioned that at the moment there is no real incentive to travel very far in the game outside of where you spawn.

I don't think locking the means to travel far easily, behind having traveled far is the wrong way to give an incentive to travel far.

I never thought of the yurt as a means for making long distance traveling easier.  I honestly can't envision a single way that a yurt or a tent would significantly simplify or speed up long distance travel by more than than a minute, if one knows what they are doing.  I often run several thousand blocks in a game day, hole up for the night in a cob and hay stack hut, sleep the night away on a grass mat, and leave out just before sunrise the next morning. I've made 60k+ runs that way.  I'm not sure it gets much faster than that.

A yurt or a tent of some kind is more about immersion and fun than really speeding up any traveling or making it easier.  At least as I see the suggestion.  Larger yurts would serve a nomadic play style nicely.  I see them as being a nice qol item that should be a bit of a challenge to obtain, but yet not require metal ages to achieve. 

In the absence of slats or lattice work type wood materials in the game, bamboo was a natural pick in my estimation. I know that in real life it would not have been the material of choice in the cultures in which yurts were used, but they had materials at hand that are not in the game.  Allow us to split logs with an axe to make wood shafts or slats, and we'd have something more along the lines of what would be needed for an actual yurt, if we want to get realistic with it.

Maybe I should have made the suggestion for yurts on its own rather than dropping it under a discussion on tents.  There is a lot that could be unpacked and discussed concerning them, and they would be a fantastic addition and very satisfying to acquire if they are worked into the game well.

(And as a side note, require wood shafts as handles for tools as well and for making spears... but that is a different suggestion altogether).

Again, just my opinions on the subject. Not trying to argue. I know we disagree on some of the points in this, but the discussion is good to have. ;)

~TH~

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Thalius said:

Larger yurts would serve a nomadic play style nicely.  I see them as being a nice qol item

Exactly that's why having them might encourage players to use them, trying the nomadic way for a while. just having something, encourages using it, and as it is little fun to go camping in your own garden...

and i think this discussion fits nicely here, better than to spread related suggestions over too many topics.

Edited by Hal13
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.