Hostile mobs

Balduranne

Wolves specifically.

I know they're supposed to be formidable, but they're just an exercise in frustration. They 2-hit you, and their chase range seems excessive. I've been mostly avoiding them, but when you're walking around in tall grass, you'll get jumped sooner or later. Coped with losing just about everything you have on you and the inability to find it again - It discourages exploration.

The general consensus from the current community seems to be hardcore survival, but for me all that does is cause frustration.

I'd rather have them nerfed, see them less often, or have a proper way of repelling them. As it is, they kill my experience

In the Darkagecraft server, we changed their damage to 6 ,  so it takes a total of 4 bytes for them to kill you.

My strategy is that whenever I am exploring I have a stack of dirt in my hotbar and as soon as I spot a wolf I quickly jump on 2 blocks of dirt. They can't reach me, and I can kill them with a sword.

3 hours ago, redram said:

@Balduranne Do you think it'd help when the game has armor, making them not so 2-shot-y?  Or is your problem before you've even gotten to a point of having a few leather for armor?

Having some armor to mitigate the damage would certainly help, although I still think they could have do less damage. 

I'd be happy if I could just outrun them, but they never seem to let go of pursuit. Something that real wolves do.

15 hours ago, tony Liberatto said:

In the Darkagecraft server, we changed their damage to 6 ,  so it takes a total of 4 bytes for them to kill you.

My strategy is that whenever I am exploring I have a stack of dirt in my hotbar and as soon as I spot a wolf I quickly jump on 2 blocks of dirt. They can't reach me, and I can kill them with a sword.

I'll have to do that for my mod too. I was doing that, but with 3 dirt and spears, but all the tall grass meant I just could build it fast enough at some point.

Personally I like them with all their perks. They make game more interesting even in iron age. I also like that they spawn quite a lot, letting me hunt more often and giving leather, meat and fat.
E.g. drifters atm are not dangerous at all. Grass reduces visibility but you can jump from time to time to look around.
I am not a fan of hardcore so anyway no disappointment if they are nerfed.

Is there an option in game to change the damage they do? Or a way to maybe uncheck them so they don't spawn? If there is not maybe add this? The more options there are I believe the wider of a player base can become. Mods are great for changing things, although some people prefer not to mess with them.

There is no in-game way to change damage. Could you imagine how many how large of a menu that'd be to configure everything people could possibly want a configuration for? Also when is the last time you've been in a game and had the ability to fine-tune every element of the game? At most, you get some sound and graphical options and a difficulty slider. In VS you choose your difficulty on world creation. Though right now there are only two world creation types because it's early access. Short of going in and changing the game files every update to what you want, mods are how you customize your gameplay experience.

But, I still think it would be a good idea to have a config file. Where people could change some settings and play the game in a more personal way.

Not saying to get each mob damage, but maybe the player could choose how much health he would have. At least for Single Player, for servers, it would need to be global.

There are some people that enjoy the exploration and building of the survival but do not want the hostile mobs. 

Since this is a commercial Game, is in the best interest of the Developers to make the game enjoyable to the maximum number of players.

I for myself like the danger of the wolves. The way your hart bits when they catch you unawares and is just a scary. It feels good afterwards when you go back and kill the wolf.

No, I am not suggesting a peaceful mode. I am suggesting to have a config option where the player can choose to have either a completely peaceful mode or even more dangerous mobs. To each according to what they want from the game.

I think config options help to settle disputes since each player can tweak whatever way they want.

In a config file, the player could have an option not to have any kind of hostile mobs spawning in the game, or to have more of them, or for the mobs to deal less damage or more, to be easier to kill or harder.

Like the little change we did for the wolf damage in our server, I think it should be easier for the common player to make those changes.

But a mod would only change the creature and item behaviour to one set. It would not let the player change the setting to his own liking.

One example is the mod that Stroam made for our server where he set the Wolf damage to 6 from the original 10.

Yes, any player could potentially download this mod and have it in his game. But what if another player thinks that 6 is still too much? maybe he wants it to be 3. Should he them come to the forums and asks for a modder to make another mod that changes it to 3?

How many mods are you willing to make? There is no way to have as many mods as there are players. Each player wants the game to be in a different way. If a developer is able to make the game configurable and thus attracting a bigger player base, why not do it?

Again, I am not advocating for a specific change, only for the possibility to let the player decide how he wants to play the game.

A mod should be about adding another mob, or item, or blocks. Or imagine a new interaction with all of those.

As for the hostile mobs, there are many ways to achieve the result that the OP wants.The config file could just increase the player Health, or Increase the player protection to damage, or decrease all mobs damage instead of one by one.

It's about freedom for the player and makes the game enjoyable to more players.

This is a line from the TFC config:

player {
    # The maximum achievable health pool total.
    I:HealthGainCap=3000

This single line enables the player to choose how much total health he can achieve in the game. You are free to make it smaller or bigger. Do you seriously think that TFC had less mods, because it let the player set the health in a config?

Somehow it gives me the impression that Milo and Stroam are against Config files in principle, not in merit.

I have played thousands of our of Ark Survival Evolved. The game has a complex Config, where I can change a lot of settings, including not to have certain dinos spawn. How hard it is to domesticate them and how much damage I would take from them. Just look how many mods Ark has.

having a config file will not diminish the need for mods, but maybe it will attract more players, making it possible to have even more mods as the game achieves recognition.

Archived