World Gen option to toggle spawning of Traders

Neutral

A customization toggle before generating a world which removes traders and their buildings from spawning.

I always loved the sense of loneliness in the world of Minecraft before the obsessive introduction of villagers and other NPCs and ridiculous meaningless 'lore' drove me away. I just want to create things in a peaceful but subtly mysterious world entirely to myself, create my own meaning, come up with my own ideas about the lore. All these fascinating ruins, aqueducts and monuments dotted around the world make me interested in the past civilization that came before and what could have happened to them, and then that wonder is destroyed in the next moment when I come across a random trader no worse the wear in every inconvenient location I travel. 

In addition to being impossible to evict, I feel in a game all about survival trading is like cheating, and even though I don't bother to trade the very existence of a trader or other living being in a world that in every way seems devoid of human life just feels out of place and kills my personal enjoyment.

As for the items and blocks that can only be acquired from traders, perhaps they could be added to the loot vessel loot tables found inside ruins, or a separate 'decorative' category, or craftable recipes be added.

• Like 5

I agree... I always found it strange that traders are just, everywhere, with their wares ready the second you spawn. It implies that they do trading with lots of people, which decimates the lonely feel that's been so carefully crafted.

On the other hand, I really enjoy the lore. Perhaps two separate settings--one that turns off lore, and another that turns off NPCs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Currently, traders are obscenely common, restock every week or so, and only buy and sell very small quantities of useful goods.

The optimal strategy is to find a spot with ~5 or more useful traders, build a road between them, farm the specific resources they buy, then do a trading run between them once a week.

A more interesting gameplay environment would be 1/5th the density of traders, but each trader buys and sells 5x as much.  The rarer traders are, and the more spaced out they are, the longer the roads and the bigger your trades would need to be.  This would also heavily reward a translocator network.

There's also the option of spacing traders out in time in addition to space.  Traders that restock less often, or only show up in spring, or only after every other temporal storm, would reward creating "trading depots" next to traders.  If the type of trader changed between storms, that would reward "scouting" traders once per season, followed by a rush to make trades before the season ended.  This would be a bad idea on servers with long seasons, but it would make for more interesting gameplay as an option.

Lastly, half of the trades seem useless.  It definitely feels like the current version of traders is a placeholder.  Artisans, for example, can sell fired crocks.  A basic item you can make in any biome.  You can sell them precious gemstones and useful clay... or easily mass-produced charcoal.  Builders are even worse - is there a reason to buy anything other than glass from a builder?  Who honestly needs to buy wood? Are any of you willing to sell lanterns - at any price?

Hmmm... I wonder how hard it would be mod traders...

• 1 month later...

Would love to get rid of them too! They simply don't fit in the theme/lore. Who they trade with (except for the player)? There are other "seraphs"? If so, why we can't meet them?

A rare wanderer that shows up from time to time and doesn't mind to trade some wares before disappearing would be good, but a stationary trader that restocks every week doesn't make any sense

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.