Monsters

Michaloid
Go to solution Solved by Silent Shadow,

Hi! I wanted to know if there's an option to reduce or remove monsters. Cuz i keep dying to drifters that don't stop coming and the only thing i have is a wooden club and a flint spear, and i haven't figured out a strategy to kill them without taking damage.

Also horsetails are super hard to come by...

Here's how you kill them:
You walk up and hit one at the edge of your attack range, then back away before it can attack. Unless you're trapped in a cave with no room to maneuver, you can handle it. Might want something better than flint, though.

If that's not enough, here: 
https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/166
https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/169

• Thanks 1

• Solution

If you find you keep getting ambushed, you can stack two dirt blocks under yourself and you will be unreachable. Nice for surveys or marking your map.

Don't bother with the club, have another flint spear. Swords (metal clubs) are very nice later on for quickly killing at the cost of reduced range. Spears can do a lot of damage when thrown but don't last long (not a problem with flint however, just make another.) Beenades are kinda useless, if funny.

If you go underground at any real depth, have some armor (wood lamellar is fine and easy to make, if low grade) and some horsetail reed bandages (find the horsetail in 'wet' forests, it's plentiful there.)

Fences are great for minimizing the danger of Drifters underground. You can form a quick wall to fight drifters behind, section off tunnels to prevent a large group spawning and fighting you all at once, and create pit traps to collect Drifters safely out of the way (line a one block depth pit with fences so drifters can walk over them into the pit but unable to climb out. Just do not fall in yourself.) Fences are also nice to let you mine the ore you want without getting interrupted. Keep in mind however that locusts do not care about fences and can walk around.

2 hours ago, Silent Shadow said:

If you go underground at any real depth, have some armor

Thing is, the cattail armor is super weak and easy to break.

Also i'm done with my world, it barely has any copper.

Seed: 411845642

Edited by Michaloid

Go for wood lamellar armor. No metal or barrels are required to make it, just some resin (respawns on the spawned trees. Planted trees never get it to my knowledge), some med/large cured pelts (hide + fat + time) and firewood. It is decent armor for taking a few hits underground and should last you until you can mine enough ore for a metal suit.

You are not wrong about the cattail armor, I usually don't bother.

On default settings, your world will have plenty of copper, you just got to find it. Starting a new world with the same settings won't change that. I would recommend exploring a bit to find seeds, ruins, traders, and some place to settle down. Look at the rock bits while you're exploring and you'll find plenty to mark on your map.

• Like 1

I'm not sure everyone spawns at the same spot, but i started your seed and before 13.00 first day i found 6 copper deposits, one with the ore vain visual from a cave. Personally i think copper deposits are too common, think they could be a little larger but a little more scarce. There where a lot of underbrush in some regions close to where i spawn. Remove the bushes if you want to look, or search in an open area.

I guess you know that under every deposit of copper there is copper ore beneath, once you get access to a copper pickaxe? 

If you are new to the game and don't know how to defeat drifters, stay in your house during night and don't bother with caves, at least deeper ones, that way drifters are no problem. You can enter them later when you are ready.

If you still want to kill them, do it like Silent Shadow says, build a two block high, pillar, or use a wall, a pit or the roof of your house to attack them. A pit to catch them is nice, that way they cant run away. Or kill them in water, they are really bad at swimming. But don't jump into water during night with a torch though....

I never bother with armour until can get gambeson. Think its the best compared to how easy it is to make. 

On 6/19/2021 at 11:32 AM, Michaloid said:

Also i'm done with my world, it barely has any copper.

If all else fails you can pan for copper.  Stand in a block of water, place a sand or gravel block next to you and right click on the sand/gravel while holding your wooden pan.  It will take a while (good night time activity) to get the copper you need and you'll get a bunch of other stuff, so you may want a storage vessel nearby.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.