Vitals display II

Stroam

Which ones do you like (can vote for more than one)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which ones do you like (can vote for more than one)

• honeycomb (top left)
    • number and icon (top middle)
    • squares (top right)
    • horizontal bars (middle left)
    • Vertical bars (middle right)
    • cave art (bottom)

Need some more feedback. I've got a variety of displays that include health, saturation, exhaustion, oxygen, and thirst. These are improved designs and hopefully a lot more difficult to pick from. These will only appear when not completely full though health and oxygen are full in these examples for demonstration. 

vitals2.png.29b7f6f98d8f26eb4508aeba2e502813.png

I would choose classic horizontal bars for health and exhaustion, as they are combat relevant stats and the player needs to have a detailed view on them quickly. I would really like to see the honeycombs for hunger and thirst.

Any temporary stats like oxygen (or possibly temperature) could appear as a blinking icon (bubbles for oxygen), that blinks faster the lower the value and won't disappear/blink when at zero (when at full value, it wouldn't be displayed on the screen). The blinking gives a sense of urgency, which properly fits these stats imo.

Using different display methods is obviously more work, but it helps differentiate the stats and is often more fitting for their function. 

Horizontal bars for compactness, though if it were up to me I'd put the symbols in there as well (basically middle right option but horizontal), to help in differentiating them at a glance.  It also makes it more intuitive for new player.

Six people and a near even spread across three of them. That's what I like to see. It means I'm getting closer.
@Erik You make valid points. Some information could be condensed into three segments, (a little hungry, hungry, very hungry), and be just fine while other such as exhaustion would be better to a lot more granularity so you can plan better. 
@redram Symbols are a lot easier to understand than numbers and color. Both red and green have been used as health bars in various games. I'd argue all the designs can be considered compact. What are your thoughts on a heart for health vs a plus sign for health? Also, what do you think of bars in a row such as you see here vs dots in a row or carrots in a row similar to how Zelda and Minecraft do it? Would it okay to only show the numbers when chat is open, do you think?

Ya red is pretty universally health so that one has a very distinct precedent.  I'd probably stick with heart for health.  I'm fine with bars in a  row.  I think in some cases it's useful to have icons - for instance bubbles for oxygen when holding breath.  That's pretty intuitive but simple.  But when you get into lines of carrots and hunks of meat, I find it a bit cartoonish for my tastes I guess.  As for bars composed of segments or dots, I'd lean bars.   Showing numbers only when chat is open sounds plausible.

I like the pictographs. Personally, I think just a single colour coded icon would be fine, if anyone wants really fine grained detail either have a numerical 00/100% mouseover, or perhaps mods could give differen readings. But I really think keeping the UI uncluttered, and only providing the minimal information necessary, while keeping the look at the correct aesthetic is the major goal.

To clarify: I think at least air, and exhaustion icons should only show up when theres a need. But maybe food, water, and health should also only show up when they get below a certain range, maybe 80%? Perhaps also a very fine coloured bar could be used as well.

I still like the honeycomb.  It's in the same style as dial gauges, like clocks, air pressure, speedometers and a lot of other circular measuring devices that we humans have become accustomed to.  This design combines both the analog dial and digital numeric, so still the best choice for me.  It's also well defined, and not likely to get lost in the very busy graphics of the VS world. 

Archived