Clothes making / Loom

Balduranne

So sooner or later we're going to need to make clothes, but I never put this suggestion on the forum;

The crafting grid would be very inefficient for it, since you would have to figure out how to craft dozens of similar items using the same materials with different arrangements. 

With that in mind, I think the answer would be a loom: 

VSuoD7v.png

There's several ways in which it would work. 

1) Right click on loom, a menu opens that shows you a list of items you can craft with what you have available. This could either detect what you have in your inventory, or it could have its own inventory slots, similar to how a crucible works.

2) Right click on loom, pick the type of item you want to create (Coat, shirt, pants, etc), you then see a menu of available items to make (Knapping/smithing style). Select one, add materials and uh, then something. 

I'm not sure how to make it more active, but I'm leaning towards the first option, where the loom has its own internal storage and you select what you want to craft based on what you put in. Put in some cloth (Linen), leather/hide, and fur, and you can make shoes, a fur lined cloak and other things. There would have to be a leap of logic to make items like leather shoes or belts, since you'd probably have to add some metal bits to them. 

If it was possible to animate blocks, you could sit by the loom and actually use it to take time and craft your outfit, rather than being instant.  At any rate, I do believe that a combination of menu letting you pick which item you want to craft is necessary. 

Something similar to Tinker's Construct work tables could be used for clothing.  A loom of course would make the cloth, but then to make clothing from it, you need to cut pieces from a pattern then assemble them.  A table to make known patterns, then a table to make the parts using different types of material, then an assembly table/workbench.  Recipes for different clothing items could be found or unlocked, and new materials added as they are found, leather, flax, wool, etc. 

It could be simplified to two blocks, one for pattern/part making then one for assembly.

A loom makes sheets of cloth so I think it should have an internal inventory for yarn at which point clicking on the loom starts to make a sheet. In addition, the loom will draw from any yarn baskets nearby(way to expand internal inventory). If it runs out you can add more and pick up where you left off. These sheets of fabric should retain information on what yarn was used(cotton, wool, linen, etc). Furthermore, the loom can be selected for what ply is used. Increasing the ply increases the cost but adds the fine modifier to the sheet. This is for mostly roleplaying reasons but certain items could see buffs depending on the material and ply. Also, modders down the road will love being able to play around with that system. 
I love the pattern and assembly idea proposed by WillOfStone. A pattern table would be awesome for the patterns and a mannequin would be perfect for assembly/display.

I would prefer an inventory/GUI less system. Just right-click on the loom with the yarn you want to use. The first yarn marks it to only use that kind and starts filling the face of the loom. Similar to the way TFC works. Once the Loom has enough yarn the player clicks to work the loom and make the piece of cloth. 
I think to be a bit more immersive the Loom should be big, like 2 x 2. just so the output is also a big piece that could be spread over a surface and cut to the desired shape.

I agree with tony, that if there's any practical way to make the loom a multiblock structure, it'd be really nice.  It'd be much more similar to irl looms.  It always bothered me just a bit, how tiny TFC looms are. 

Also agree that a pattern& assembly combo would be best.  I of course like my suggestion from this thread.  My focus there was leather and metal armor, but the same principle could easily be used for clothing.  Shirts and pants could use the exact same armatures as armor.  Dresses could have their own.  Or clothing could have separate ones, maybe made of reeds.  Although maybe clothes-making should be behind a certain tech gate?  That way there is an actual tech point at which the player graduates from hide clothing to fabric?

I'm thinking the process would basically be, make raw cloth on loom, apply all the raw material to the mannequin, and then use the pattern on the covered mannequin, and out comes the clothing.  This is of course a bit reverse of how it goes irl.  I guess maybe you could apply the pattern to the mannequin first, and then apply the raw material over it.   Still not totally correct compared to rl, but close enough either way I'd say.  Such patterns would provide a nice ongoing need for paper.   There'd be the interesting question of whether or not the cloth needs to be dyed first.  Presumably we would eventually have silk options, in addition to linen, cotton, wool, etc.  Fur lining could be added for warmth.  smaller/oddball pieces like cloaks, hats, gloves and boots probably could just use the normal grid, or even have their own process eventually.

But ya, overall, I think the loom just makes raw cloth, then the player assembles it by using a mannequin and pattern.  You could easily end up with a genuine looking tailor's shop, between the loom(s?), mannequins, dying pots maybe.  I think it could look real good.

2 hours ago, tony Liberatto said:

I would prefer an inventory/GUI less system.

A visual update on the loom to mark the thread in the internal inventory works. Can still draw from nearby yarn baskets and ply can be done using a spinning wheel to turn single ply yarn into two-ply yarn. 

2 hours ago, tony Liberatto said:

I think to be a bit more immersive the Loom should be big, like 2 x 2. just so the output is also a big piece that could be spread over a surface and cut to the desired shape.

I think the model shown may need to be changed in that case but I don't see why you can't make loom parts that assemble into a loom similar to how a firepit is constructed.

I like the idea of the mannequins for all types of clothing, but think the player should place the cloth on top of a surface and cut to the shape, them apply the cut pieces to the mannequin for sewing. 
Once you place the fabric, right-clicking with a pair of scissors would open a selector, similar to knapping or clay molding, but instead of removing a pixel it would cut and once done pops out the desired shape.

7 hours ago, Balduranne said:

My one problem with the other suggestions is - How do you select which outfit to craft exactly?

A pattern, as mentioned by Stroam and I.   The pattern might be made at a pattern table, and involve a GUI, with a specific pattern for each clothing item.  But probably don't want each pattern to have a unique item id, so it'd have to be a dynamic object of sorts somehow.  Maybe with a picture generated from clothing model?

Or, you just craft a generic 'pattern' in your grid.  You apply this to the mannequin after all pieces are in place.  This pops up a menu of valid pieces of clothing that can be made with the materials you've applied to the mannequin.   Still requires a selection GUI, but no more intrusive than the selection ones of knapping, clay working, or smithing.  If what you've applied is not valid for anything, then you get a chat message to that effect and nothing happens.

Make a big table. 2 x 2 blocks. place fabric on top. Right, click with a pair of scissors. A selection shows Up similar to the one for clay molding or knapping. From there, you select the basic shape of the piece of clothing you want to make. 
Long pants.
Short pants.
Long sleeve shirt.
Short sleeve shirt.

Sleeveless Shirt.

Same options for Tunics or dresses.
We can even have submenus for more variety.

The pattern shows up as lines on top of the fabric,  then you use the scissors to cut the fabric.
Without making too complicated, you just need to pieces, one for the front and one for the back. 
Right-click the pieces on the Straw mannequin.

Use a needle and string to sew the pieces together. 
Colors and decorations are applied afterward, and since we will have predefined patterns it will be a question Of clicking the Mannequin to open a GUI them fill it with all the required materials to create the desired Pattern. 
I spect that if the Tunic is decorated with Shells you need to feed the GUI with Shells. And So on and So forth.

I like the mannequin idea.  My mother used to make a lot of our clothes when I was a kid.  A sewing table/work table was used to cut pieces using patterns and then basic seams were sewn.  My sister and I were the mannequins, for fitting and finish work.  lol

Agree, Mannequins would complement the work area. 
I would have a room with a big working table to cut the fabric, (Maybe give a use for the paper to make models).

Them some Mannequins.

Some Chests, 
And It would be really cool if we could have some shelves with the items showing.
Of course, we will need needles and thread.
For decorating the clothes we can have beads, teeth, feathers, ...

• 1 month later...

I love the idea of the mannequin and tailoring table, use of patterns, paper and all that but don't forget spinning, drop spindles for early game and spinning wheels for later game, and this is where the dyeing happens, before the weaving.  I would love to see a free form carpet weaving option so you could weave your own personal rugs but only with yarn you have dyed (colors you have) I didn't see any comments re: wool but linen, cotton, wool, silk and hemp are the most used fibers.  Is there another discussion of rope and string things elsewhere?  because that is a very interesting and related topic  

Archived