Do Natural Crops Spread?

PhotriusPyrelus
Go to solution Solved by Streetwind,

• Solution

Pretty sure there is no random spawning mechanic either. I've played for multiple ingame years in worlds with zero wild crop respawns.

You just sometimes come across a plant you missed the first five times going through that area. It happens. Just like it does with surface copper deposits - where you return from your three thousand block copper scouting mission only to discover the deposit right next to your base that you completely missed all this time. ;)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Pretty sure there is no random spawning mechanic either. I've played for multiple ingame years in worlds with zero wild crop respawns.

You just sometimes come across a plant you missed the first five times going through that area. It happens. Just like it does with surface copper deposits - where you return from your three thousand block copper scouting mission only to discover the deposit right next to your base that you completely missed all this time. ;)

Yeah, I figure it was just me not noticing, but thought I'd ask.  I swear some other game I played had crops that could very rarely spread.  I think Eco, but I'm not sure.  :shrug:

The wiki is updated exclusively by volunteer players and can contain mistakes and misinformation.

Or... you know, I could also be wrong. :) Perfectly possible. But in that case, wild crop respawning is so rare that it might as well be nonexistant, because I've literally never seen it happen myself in over 300 hours of gameplay.

What does happen, by the way, is existing wild crops repeating their growth cycle. When you look at wild crops in general, you'll notice that it's pretty rare for any of them to be in the fully mature, final stage. That is because something causes them to revert back to stage one. Most likely they're eaten by wild animals. I didn't see it happen myself, but I once waited for two ingame months for a wild crop near my house to mature to its last remaining stage because I thought it would give me more stuff, and surely it would grow up any moment now. Aaaaaany moment now. Then, over a span of less than 48 ingame hours of me not looking at it, it went from stage 5 out of 6 back to stage 1 out of 6. It was also in a fairly rabbit-infested area.

Edited by Streetwind

I think I have seen it happen since I had some pop up in an area I settled in and traveled through frequently, but I have no proof beyond certainty that I had scoured that area clean.

Wild crops are not eaten by wild animals and some crops are not eaten by wild animals at all. Again per the wiki:

There are a few crops that will not be eaten by rabbits, namely rice, onions and pumpkins. Those could be planted without protection, however rice and onions should be planted in crop rotation with other plants, which would again need rabbit protection.
Wild crops will be ignored by rabbits.

It is only most of the crops that you plant that get chewed on by rabbits.

I am also confident in most of the wiki's articles, as everything I have tested has matched the wiki.

Edited by Silent Shadow

And now I present proof that wild crops do spawn after world gen. If you want to replicate this, I highly recommend using /wgen pos climate to find a spot with high shrub and rainfall. Some barren, almost desert places do not even regrow grass after several in game years.

2021-09-04_07-46-42.thumb.png.c36feefb3adb3396a943978f63c5b62a.png
2021-09-04_07-49-04.thumb.png.5abcf063deb7a32f12ca35a0e704e85c.png

2021-09-04_07-49-08.thumb.png.f589fc1290ae015796abff08cf7ee06d.png

All hail the magic conch wiki!

Edited by Silent Shadow
grammar, funnies

I think it really depends on the crop. Some crops like cabbage need to be unharvested left for over a year to get the seeds for the next generation. Others like squash will just grow and grow until they are huge and apparently tasteless. Some plants like the Tomato will rot on the vine and so should be picked when ripe. I am not a farmer or even a gardener though so I don't really know.

2 hours ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

do mature crops disappear?

Well, they do not disappear completely, but when they've been mature for a while, they go back to the first growing stage, like @Streetwind already explained. You normally won't be there when that happens, but I stood right in front of the crop when it "disappeared" twice. One time just when I wanted to harvest it -damn!-, and the other time when I was looking at two mature cassava plants and one suddenly shrunk to the tiny first growth stage. ;)

3 hours ago, Silent Shadow said:

(Pushes glasses up face) Actually, according to the wiki, crops will occasionally spawn after chunk generation.

Crops or Wild Foods spawn on world gen but also spawn over time on existing terrain.

@Tyron @redram Is that actually the case? Not that it's in the wiki, but that new plants spawn? ;)

I found that low fertility soil, low moisture, and low shrubbery rating would prevent crops and even grass from respawning. When I moved to a more verdant area I only had to wait a few in-game months for the crops to spawn.

I would check the soil quality and the climate (via /wgen pos climate) of the area you are in and move to a better area if any factors listed above are low.

Edited by Silent Shadow

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.