Bullseye 2.4.2 - bug fixes and tweaks!

TeacupAngel

On 5/19/2022 at 8:18 PM, pennedgalaxy said:

Found a bug that kept overloading on the server I'm a part of, if I died whilst still aiming my bow there's a high chance this would get thrown at the server and I'd be unable to join plus the server would simply repeat this until a shut down resolved it

unknown.png

Hi there! Sorry about the crashes, I'm afraid I need more information though. I tried lots of way of getting killed when aiming a bow on my test server, but never had this crash happen. Can you please post the entire log, or if not, then at least the entire list of mods used, the version of the mod and the version of the game itself? I'm afraid there isn't much I can do about this without knowing more.

Can't post the entire log as it unfortunately gets erased if the server restarts but I can give you a full list of the mods. The server is 1.16.5 and here's the list of mods: 

• Advanced Smithing
  • Alchemy
  • Ancient Tools
  • AnMiTech
  • Backpack Pack
  • Better Drifters
  • Bricklayers
  • Bullseye
  • Carry Capacity
  • Cat Taming
  • Cave Content
  • CivBooks
  • Creatures and Critters
  • Fancy Doors
  • Fields of Gold
  • From Golden Combs
  • Hammer's Ringing Fall
  • Lands of Chaos
  • Lichen
  • Medieval Expansion
  • Meteoric Expansion
  • More Animals
  • More Classes
  • Neccesaries
  • Outlaw Mod
  • Oxygen Not Included
  • Pack Animals
  • PetAI
  • Player Corpse
  • Primitive Survival
  • Compass Mod (though it has been tweaked by a friend to fix it breaking on being added to 1.16+ versions)
  • Spear And Arrow Head Recycling
  • Spyglass
  • Stone Quarry
  • Th3Essentials
  • Trade-o-Mat
  • Useful Stuff
  • Wild Craft
  • Wild Farming
  • Wolf Taming
  • Workbench Expansion
  • xRowboat

We also recently added your Compatibility Fix mod to see if that'll help prevent the crashes. Luckily I've avoided them thus far since I now know dying whilst aiming seems to be the cause though why that is the cause I have no idea.

7 hours ago, pennedgalaxy said:

Can't post the entire log as it unfortunately gets erased if the server restarts but I can give you a full list of the mods. The server is 1.16.5 and here's the list of mods: 

• Advanced Smithing
  • Alchemy
  • Ancient Tools
  • AnMiTech
  • Backpack Pack
  • Better Drifters
  • Bricklayers
  • Bullseye
  • Carry Capacity
  • Cat Taming
  • Cave Content
  • CivBooks
  • Creatures and Critters
  • Fancy Doors
  • Fields of Gold
  • From Golden Combs
  • Hammer's Ringing Fall
  • Lands of Chaos
  • Lichen
  • Medieval Expansion
  • Meteoric Expansion
  • More Animals
  • More Classes
  • Neccesaries
  • Outlaw Mod
  • Oxygen Not Included
  • Pack Animals
  • PetAI
  • Player Corpse
  • Primitive Survival
  • Compass Mod (though it has been tweaked by a friend to fix it breaking on being added to 1.16+ versions)
  • Spear And Arrow Head Recycling
  • Spyglass
  • Stone Quarry
  • Th3Essentials
  • Trade-o-Mat
  • Useful Stuff
  • Wild Craft
  • Wild Farming
  • Wolf Taming
  • Workbench Expansion
  • xRowboat

We also recently added your Compatibility Fix mod to see if that'll help prevent the crashes. Luckily I've avoided them thus far since I now know dying whilst aiming seems to be the cause though why that is the cause I have no idea.

Thank you for the list! I tried a few likely suspects but no dice so far, everything played together perfectly nice. I ran out of time to test for today unfortunately, Tomorrow I should have more time to try it all and see if I can finally get the crash to happen :)

• 4 weeks later...

I am getting a bug where if I try throw a spear it gets stuck in the air and I cannot retrieve it. I don't have any other weapon mods installed and have also tried the compatibility patch with no luck. 

Edit: Ok after deleting it, restarting the game and reinstalling a fresh download it seems to be working again... 

Edited by micko0o

On 6/18/2022 at 6:34 AM, micko0o said:

I am getting a bug where if I try throw a spear it gets stuck in the air and I cannot retrieve it. I don't have any other weapon mods installed and have also tried the compatibility patch with no luck. 

Edit: Ok after deleting it, restarting the game and reinstalling a fresh download it seems to be working again... 

On 6/20/2022 at 12:44 AM, Thranos said:

Getting same bug as above, reinstalling Bullseye didn't fix it but restarting the game did. 

EDIT: Fixed by removing https://mods.vintagestory.at/compatibilityfix from my mod list.

Edit x2: Issue persists but is less common after removal of compat fix.

Thank you for telling me about this issue! This is a real headscratcher, I have never seen that happen once before, and now within a day or two there's quite a few people talking about seeing it too. If I can ask, what version of the game are you running, what other mods do you play with (if any), and how did you get the bug to happen?

(By the way, CompatibilityFix really shouldn't have anything to do with this. All it does is basically tap VS on the shoulder and say "Hey, don't forget to load the compatibility files!" It stops doing anything before Bullseye is even loaded, so the chances of it affecting this bug seem astronomically tiny)

I've got this issue too, sometimes relogging into the world works sometimes, and other times not. But restarting the game is the best way to fix it.

There doesn't seem to be a clear cut way of getting it to bug out though. When i start my game i try using a spear and if i see a white crosshair in the middle

i know that will bug out the projectile. The projectiles that are stuck in midhair persist even after restarting and "resolving" this behavior, though you can unstuck

these by building blocks into it (dirt or whatever). that makes it "hit" the block and then you can collect your spear or arrow back.

Here are the mods i'm running now.943433298_Capturedcran2022-06-21122805.png.a9a813e96e47ca9cc208790f4c88f95f.png

That's all i know in my case.

Edited by Tyranus

21 hours ago, TeacupAngel said:

Thank you for telling me about this issue! This is a real headscratcher, I have never seen that happen once before, and now within a day or two there's quite a few people talking about seeing it too. If I can ask, what version of the game are you running, what other mods do you play with (if any), and how did you get the bug to happen?

(By the way, CompatibilityFix really shouldn't have anything to do with this. All it does is basically tap VS on the shoulder and say "Hey, don't forget to load the compatibility files!" It stops doing anything before Bullseye is even loaded, so the chances of it affecting this bug seem astronomically tiny)

Lastest VS version, the mods I share with Tyranus are Bullseye (of course), CarryCapacity, MedievalExpansion, MoreRoads, Primitive Survival, Spyglass, Xlib, and Xskills.

Well, this is frustrating. I spent almost 15 hours in the last week trying every combination of mods, in-game situations, and single-/multiplayer I could think of, but I still can't get any of the issues to happen on my end. The spears all fly as they should and there's no crashes either.

I appreciate your help everyone, thank you. Sadly it does feel like without a dedicated QA tester to help me reproduce the issue I might just never get it to happen at all. Frankly I need a break after all this anyway.

I'll add a lot more error checking to the next version of the mod, so hopefully most of the issues should be resolved even if I never figure out what the issue itself is. It's a lot of tedious work though, so it will only be coming for 1.17. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Wanting to follow up with the previous posters : Shooting an arrow yielded the same result. Arrow doesnt properly launch, and floats at camera view.

multiplayer, and this modlist. For now, we've uninstalled the mod since it made archery unplayable. Also running latest VS build

explorer_vfnRADx2i0.png

Edited by Bizu

All ranged-weapon using players are occasionally affected by this on the server I'm playing and sort-of-running, but we've discovered the following:

A- It doesn't affect everyone at once
B- If someone gets this bug, they can fix it by restarting their client, which works 100% of the time
C- No errors appear in the server console
D- Everyone can see the frozen projectile hanging in the air, even if the bug is not affecting them at the time
E- The Bullseye reticule disappears when whatever goes wrong goes wrong, 100% of the time

Hopefully some of this helps.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thranos said:

All ranged-weapon using players are occasionally affected by this on the server I'm playing and sort-of-running, but we've discovered the following:

B- If someone gets this bug, they can fix it by restarting their client, which works 100% of the time
D- Everyone can see the frozen projectile hanging in the air, even if the bug is not affecting them at the time
E- The Bullseye reticule disappears when whatever goes wrong goes wrong, 100% of the time

That actually does help more than you might realise, thank you! So if I get it right, whenever the bug happens, the player loses the reticle but can still keep shooting, and each shot they make after leaves a projectile stuck in the air for everyone. If that's the case, I can actually start piecing this together now and the issue is in some of the code I was suspecting the least. Dang haha

Sorry I put this on you, I know you want to have fun playing the game and not be my personal testers for these issues. Thank you so much again :)

Edited by TeacupAngel

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2022 at 6:53 AM, Nudge said:

Any way to remove the changes to aiming and readying of next shot mechanics, but keeping everything else?

There's no config to just turn off these mechanics, as they are pretty integral to the mod, but you might be able to edit the files to make it . If you unpack the mod as a directory in your Mods folder and go to then go to assets/bullseye/patches, you should see three important files, itemtypes-tool-bow.json, itemtypes-tool-spear.json, and itemtypes-tool-sling.json. At the top of each of these is the parameters for each respective weapon type. In each, you should overwrite these three values, or add them if they are missing:

cooldownTime: 0,
horizontalLimit: 0,
verticalLimit: 0,
verticalOffset: 0,

That should make all weapons behave like spears usually do in Bullseye, with the mouse being locked to the centre of the screen but the reticle still swaying around a bit. If you want to get as close to vanilla as you possibly can with its random spread, you can also add this:

aimDrift: 0,
aimTwitch: 0,
projectileSpread: 5,

That will completely lock the reticle to the centre, and give the projectiles 5 degree random spread. All these changes will also completely throw balance out of whack, of course, so it will be up to you to change it to your tastes.

15 hours ago, EreticKB said:

Anyone test it with BHT? It adds some more spears too, but i have low priority for tests right now.

I'm afraid you'll have to help me out here, what is BHT?

Edit: Ah, someone tipped me off that you likely mean Better Than Heresy. Yes, there's probably a conflict there, since from a glance it does the exact same thing Bullseye does, adding high-tier spears and a spear casting mold. I'll see about adding compatibility to the next release :)

Edited by TeacupAngel

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 8:07 PM, Thranos said:

Just wanted to chime in that this issue still exists!  I play multiplayer with my SO and I join their game through LAN, so far I've been the only one with the above issues, but they can still see my floating spears. 

Not sure if it helps, but one other odd thing happened after we logged out and back in, my SO could see the floating spears just fine, but when I logged back in the spears poofed out of existence.  Let me know if you need any other info and thanks for looking into this.  :) 

(Side note, I found out about the issue during an "AHHHH!" moment where a drifter crawled out of the grass and at my face, so there were about 5 spears floating near each other.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ajajane said:

Just wanted to chime in that this issue still exists!  I play multiplayer with my SO and I join their game through LAN, so far I've been the only one with the above issues, but they can still see my floating spears. 

Not sure if it helps, but one other odd thing happened after we logged out and back in, my SO could see the floating spears just fine, but when I logged back in the spears poofed out of existence.  Let me know if you need any other info and thanks for looking into this.  :) 

(Side note, I found out about the issue during an "AHHHH!" moment where a drifter crawled out of the grass and at my face, so there were about 5 spears floating near each other.)

Thank you for letting me know! I'm still looking for log files from someone who has this issue - if you could send me client-main.txt and client-debug.txt from the Logs directory after the bug happens (an easy way to find it is to click the Open Mods Folder button in mod manager, and then going one directory up), that would be incredibly helpful and allow me to fix the bug much faster :) Without that I can only try and guess how to actually fix the issue, since it never actually happens to me no matter what I try

By the way, you might be able to get your spears back if you place a block over where they are. That should make the game think they hit the ground, and let you pick them up :)

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Martin Bartasek said:

I have packed whole Logs folder, hopefully you will able to find something that will help you with the spear bug. I noticed the bug few minutes before I closed the game (at about 14:55).

Logs.zip 141.89 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you very much, that's genuinely quite helpful! I released a new version of the mod just a few hours ago that might hopefully be the one to fix the issue for good. I'd definitely recommend updating if you can :)

• 3 months later...

One of the players on my multiplayer server kept crashing when they tried to use their bow. I was unable to replicate this problem but we found out that it happens when they try to use it when there's no arrows on them. Here's their crash log:

Running on 64 bit Windows with 16 GB RAM 
Game Version: v1.17.9 (Stable)
12/26/2022 4:41:46 PM: Critical error occurred in the following mod: bullseye@2.4.1
Loaded Mods: aculinaryartillery@1.0.11, ancienttools@1.4.9, tonwexp@1.1.0, backpackpack@1.0.3, betterdrifters@2.1.3, cavecontent@1.0.1, creaturescan@1.0.0, extraclayforming@1.0.0, fancysky@1.0.4, fieldsofgold@2.1.1, hideandfabric@1.2.9, meteoricexpansion@1.2.2, moreclasses@1.2.5, necessariesfix@1.1.3-rc.1, primitivesurvival@3.1.1, rustandrails@1.0.4, sustainableforestry@1.1.0, tradeomat@1.6.3, game@1.17.9, wildcrafttrees@1.1.2, wildcraft@1.5.1, carryon@0.10.3, expandedfoods@1.6.4, fromgoldencombs@1.3.15, hammersringingfall@1.2.5, lichen@1.6.1, medievalexpansion@3.8.1, mortaldamage@1.4.1, playercorpse@1.5.5, stonequarry@2.0.0-rc.4, usefulstuff17@1.0.2, creative@1.17.9, survival@1.17.9, workbenchexpansion@1.5.1, xlib@0.6.14, bullseye@2.4.1, compass@1.1.3, em@1.1.0, xskills@0.6.14, bricklayers@1.2.0
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Bullseye.BullseyeItemBow.<>c__DisplayClass5_0.<GetNextAmmoSlot>b__0(ItemSlot invslot) in E:\VintageStory Mods\1.17\Bullseye\src\BullseyeItemBow.cs:line 147
   at Vintagestory.API.Common.EntityPlayer.WalkInventory(OnInventorySlot handler) in VintagestoryApi\Common\Entity\EntityPlayer.cs:line 1120
   at Bullseye.BullseyeItemBow.GetNextAmmoSlot(EntityAgent byEntity, ItemSlot weaponSlot, Boolean isStartCheck) in E:\VintageStory Mods\1.17\Bullseye\src\BullseyeItemBow.cs:line 145
   at Bullseye.BullseyeItemRangedWeapon.OnHeldInteractStart(ItemSlot slot, EntityAgent byEntity, BlockSelection blockSel, EntitySelection entitySel, Boolean firstEvent, EnumHandHandling& handling) in E:\VintageStory Mods\1.17\Bullseye\src\BullseyeItemRangedWeapon.cs:line 229
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.SystemMouseInWorldInteractions.TryBeginUseActiveSlotItem(BlockSelection blockSel, EntitySelection entitySel, EnumHandInteract useType, EnumHandHandling& handling) in VintagestoryLib\Client\Systems\Player\MouseInWorldInteractions.cs:line 852
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.SystemMouseInWorldInteractions.TryBeginUseActiveSlotItem(BlockSelection blockSel, EntitySelection entitySel) in VintagestoryLib\Client\Systems\Player\MouseInWorldInteractions.cs:line 835
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.SystemMouseInWorldInteractions.HandleMouseInteractionsNoBlockSelected(Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\Systems\Player\MouseInWorldInteractions.cs:line 389
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.SystemMouseInWorldInteractions.OnFinalizeFrame(Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\Systems\Player\MouseInWorldInteractions.cs:line 86
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientEventManager.TriggerRenderStage(EnumRenderStage stage, Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\Util\ClientEventManager.cs:line 201
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientMain.TriggerRenderStage(EnumRenderStage stage, Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientMain.cs:line 1174
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientMain.RenderToDefaultFramebuffer(Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientMain.cs:line 1362
   at Vintagestory.Client.GuiScreenRunningGame.RenderToDefaultFramebuffer(Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\MainMenu\Screens\GuiScreenRunningGame.cs:line 202
   at Vintagestory.Client.ScreenManager.Render(Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ScreenManager.cs:line 718
   at Vintagestory.Client.ScreenManager.OnNewFrame(Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ScreenManager.cs:line 622
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientPlatformWindows.window_RenderFrame(Object sender, FrameEventArgs e) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientPlatform\GameWindow.cs:line 124
   at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.RaiseRenderFrame(Double elapsed, Double& timestamp) in C:\Users\Nexrem\Desktop\transfer\opentk\src\OpenTK\GameWindow.cs:line 476
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.DispatchRenderFrame() in C:\Users\Nexrem\Desktop\transfer\opentk\src\OpenTK\GameWindow.cs:line 452
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.Run(Double updates_per_second, Double frames_per_second) in C:\Users\Nexrem\Desktop\transfer\opentk\src\OpenTK\GameWindow.cs:line 375
   at Vintagestory.Client.ClientProgram.Start(ClientProgramArgs args, String[] rawArgs)
   at Vintagestory.ClientNative.CrashReporter.Start(ThreadStart start) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientPlatform\ClientNative\CrashReporter.cs:line 93

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question for anyone who can help clarify; what exactly do the colors of the reticles mean? I'm fairly certain the initial 'red' means 'not optimal firing', and white is 'optimal firing', but the yellow reticle is what I'm interested in mostly. Mainly because when targeting is yellow, I can loose an arrow faster than before, but is there a damage penalty for loosing quicker? Is there a bonus to reward hitting the 'sweet spot', like in some archery games?

Anyhow, love the mod! Thank you for all the hard work!

Edited by PastaNipples
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dang I kind of got my hopes up that this mod introduces a functional hitbox system to the game, so headshots would deal more damage. 
I realize how much actual effort and fundamental overhauling of the base game engine that would take, but a vain hope was still a hope.

• TeacupAngel changed the title to Bullseye 2.4.2 - bug fixes and tweaks!

Oh goodness, I haven't had as much time lately and really let this thread get away from me. Sorry about that, folks!

On 12/27/2022 at 3:04 AM, Iphour said:

One of the players on my multiplayer server kept crashing when they tried to use their bow. I was unable to replicate this problem but we found out that it happens when they try to use it when there's no arrows on them. Here's their crash log:

-log snipped-

Thank you for the report! Unfortunately the fix didn't make it into 2.4.2, but I'm working on it right now and it will be in the next release :)

On 1/10/2023 at 10:12 PM, PastaNipples said:

Question for anyone who can help clarify; what exactly do the colors of the reticles mean? I'm fairly certain the initial 'red' means 'not optimal firing', and white is 'optimal firing', but the yellow reticle is what I'm interested in mostly. Mainly because when targeting is yellow, I can loose an arrow faster than before, but is there a damage penalty for loosing quicker? Is there a bonus to reward hitting the 'sweet spot', like in some archery games?

Anyhow, love the mod! Thank you for all the hard work!

There's no difference in damage. Yellow means that accuracy is still low, so the reticle might twitch out of the way at the last moment. But if you are willing to take that risk, you can take a snap shot and still deal full damage. No sweet spot with more damage, you can take a good amount of time to take aim if wanted.

Eventually all this will be in an in-game guide, but there's a lot of other important things I need to get done as well. And if I'm going to make a guide, I want to do it properly ^^

On 2/3/2023 at 7:33 PM, Khornet said:

Dang I kind of got my hopes up that this mod introduces a functional hitbox system to the game, so headshots would deal more damage. 
I realize how much actual effort and fundamental overhauling of the base game engine that would take, but a vain hope was still a hope.

I'd love to do that one day, I've already even made some early plans on how I'd go about a system like that! But sadly it's like you say, it'd be a lot of effort to add when the game has no support for anything like this yet. And it's a question if it would even be fun to play with at this point - as it is, the exact position of creatures can be out of sync between the client and the server (that applies even to singleplayer since your computer runs both the server and the client.) I imagine it would get frustrating very quickly if the server judged your perfectly aimed shot to be a hit to the foot or something like that, haha.

From what the devs say, 1.19 is supposed to be a Dejank 2.0 update. Maybe it will be more viable for me to introduce a hitbox system then, we'll see!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.