best way to pass the night

Kolyenka

6 minutes ago, maibock said:

Neat! What're you knitting specifically? Might even get it done earlier than spring depending on what you're doing.

im knitting a hap (type of shawl) ! and that would be ideal, but it's only 12 day months in that world, so i'd be surprised if i did, lol

do you knit ?

I've never put a pic on here before, Rockhound Lounge always says "blah blah exceeds maximum blah blah", but I'll give it a whirl here.

2021-11-16_09-14-46.thumb.png.4d19abbbd048e8482395bf91f393bf40.png

Alright, this looks like a random pick, but I'm kind of like Red on Blacklist; all of my stories start out with something wildly random, but I always have a point. So: all summer long, I look for large deposits of stuff, or just fun-looking areas, and build what I call "travel lodges", like the one you see here. There's not a tremendous amount of stuff in them, just homes where it's fun to stop off for the night. All of these lodges are connected to roads with street signs; I've had this game for years, so even though I don't build in creative mode, I have a ton of them, as you can imagine. So, my point is: I feel you, I would go nuts just waiting for the night to pass. Some of my lodges are like four or five ingame days away, so I'm on the road a lot. Temperature isn't really a thing for me, as all of my homes are in warm/hot zones. Drfiters aren't a big concern for me;rarely do I get stopped on roads. Temporal storms are a thing; that's why I like large homes. Drifters can pass through walls during storms, but I can't, so I like a large arena to fight them in. Starvation isn't too much of a worry for me, but I have the Primitive Survival mod. So, being that I always have a pool in every lodge, my pools often turn into crab tanks. 

My final thought: I admire knitting and sewing. The Navy taught me to sew my own patches on my uniforms, but that's something I lack the skill and patience for. Luckily, there was always a dry cleaners on base; those gals became quite familiar with me by the end of my shore duty. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ryan Thomas said:

I've never put a pic on here before, Rockhound Lounge always says "blah blah exceeds maximum blah blah", but I'll give it a whirl here.

2021-11-16_09-14-46.thumb.png.4d19abbbd048e8482395bf91f393bf40.png

Alright, this looks like a random pick, but I'm kind of like Red on Blacklist; all of my stories start out with something wildly random, but I always have a point. So: all summer long, I look for large deposits of stuff, or just fun-looking areas, and build what I call "travel lodges", like the one you see here. There's not a tremendous amount of stuff in them, just homes where it's fun to stop off for the night. All of these lodges are connected to roads with street signs; I've had this game for years, so even though I don't build in creative mode, I have a ton of them, as you can imagine. So, my point is: I feel you, I would go nuts just waiting for the night to pass. Some of my lodges are like four or five ingame days away, so I'm on the road a lot. Temperature isn't really a thing for me, as all of my homes are in warm/hot zones. Drfiters aren't a big concern for me;rarely do I get stopped on roads. Temporal storms are a thing; that's why I like large homes. Drifters can pass through walls during storms, but I can't, so I like a large arena to fight them in. Starvation isn't too much of a worry for me, but I have the Primitive Survival mod. So, being that I always have a pool in every lodge, my pools often turn into crab tanks. 

My final thought: I admire knitting and sewing. The Navy taught me to sew my own patches on my uniforms, but that's something I lack the skill and patience for. Luckily, there was always a dry cleaners on base; those gals became quite familiar with me by the end of my shore duty. 

Sounds like you have a great setup to pass the nights ! Long networks of travel lodges to go between seems like a good way to keep things interesting.

And tbh, I'm not the most patient of men either. But knitting for me has nothing to do with patience and everything to do with keeping my hands busy. There's basically nothing else that I can do in every situation (grocery store, train, waiting at the DMV, hanging out at home) and if I have to sit still I get real twitchy. But I can definitely understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Another thing I like to do while passing time at night is swim, you can see my pool in the picture. I've never had a drifter spawn in there, but I also use a lot of lighting, from QPTech. But pools are sometimes a pain in the butt. If I find a nice shoreline, I build my bedroom on it, and just extend the walls that are in the water all the way to the bottom of the seabed. That's one time I do jump in creative mode, because sometimes shorelines drop off pretty quick and fairly deep. For conversation sake, if you wondered what would possess me to do such a thing, the most restful sleep I've had was the times my fellow shipmates, Marines, and I would fall asleep around a campfire on the beach in Oceanside, CA. Mind you, this was like 20 years ago, I have no clue if it's still safe to do such a thing. But I loved sleeping on the beach in real life, so why not ingame? Can't just sleep out in the open bc of drifters, but you can if you build walls (obviously not a floor) and have just a ton of lighting in there. I like to put a couple of tiki torches on the shoreline in my bedroom, too, from the ZEEkea mod. 

• Like 1

I've got to be weird or something, because this was a wildly difficult challenge for me. There's always something I can be doing in Vintage Story, I can also easily sit with my arms on my armrest, passing the night by watching butterflies out my window or something in-game. But to pass the night, not doing anything, but keeping my hands busy; that's hard for me! I ended up having my character look out the window while I did dishes. That took less time than anticipated. So I de-haired the vacuum cleaner. How, dude, how in the world can women shed that bad and not lose hair? If that much hair came off my head, I'd be bald. Fin, done, bald as Charlie Brown. But my wife, Jenn,is worse than those dogs...... I can't remember the breed's name, the ones that look like hippies from the 60s. I actually dulled a hunting knife once from de-hairing the vacuum cleaner. Last month or so, I'm in the basement, and this thing came walking by; this glob of stuff. As I'm standing there trying to identify what in the world this weird creature is, it dawns on me that it's a poor Daddy Long Legs tangled to heck and back in a tumbleweed of Jenn's hair. How!? I'm jealous; I can feel cold air on my head a little easier than last year, but my wife's probably shed a full wig or two, and still has hair thicker than ever.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 8:13 AM, Ryan Thomas said:

So I de-haired the vacuum cleaner. How, dude, how in the world can women shed that bad and not lose hair? If that much hair came off my head, I'd be bald. Fin, done, bald as Charlie Brown. But my wife, Jenn,is worse than those dogs...... I can't remember the breed's name, the ones that look like hippies from the 60s. I actually dulled a hunting knife once from de-hairing the vacuum cleaner. Last month or so, I'm in the basement, and this thing came walking by; this glob of stuff. As I'm standing there trying to identify what in the world this weird creature is, it dawns on me that it's a poor Daddy Long Legs tangled to heck and back in a tumbleweed of Jenn's hair. How!? I'm jealous; I can feel cold air on my head a little easier than last year, but my wife's probably shed a full wig or two, and still has hair thicker than ever.  

Tell me about it!  I have to de-hair the vacuum every time someone vacuums the main living areas!  The bedrooms are even worse!!  Glad my wife broke down and bought a new vacuum.  She got one that is designed to prevent hair wrapping around the roller.  AND IT WORKS!  I picked up the vacuum and took a few seconds to pick off some tangles of hair.

Man, if we're being totally off-topic, I got an office chair recently and it stopped rolling around very well. Imagine my surprise when I flip it over and there are FULL HAIRBALLS in each wheel. I spent half an hour tearing them apart with a knife. 😱 I guess that'd be a good way to pass a couple nights in VS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.