More Readable Map Icons

Plum

Hiya!

I did a search for "map icons" and found one result; it was a suggestion from a year ago. :(

I'm old...'ish. Ok, I'm 52 but I have been involved in computers and writing/art my whole life. Needless to say, the ol' peepers just ain't what they use'ta be! 🤓 I try and choose 'bright' colours when marking locations on the map, but man...they are just so hard to see for me! Admittedly, I play at a high-resolution, but I also play on a 65" QLED TV. It's just that some of the colours and icons sort of blend in a bit too much to the pixelated map.

I suggest allowing for a variable Glow Effect around them or a flat "circular, solid colour" (just picture a solid black circle under the coloured icon, for example).

Another option...and I THINK I saw this done...or I was dreaming...(EDIT: Nope, wasn't dreaming! ;) ), was a map that was more "flat" looking and less "detailed pixel" looking.

EDIT: LOL! Yup, I think it was an earlier (?) version of the map. Right here below. And, in case it wasn't obvious...   I LIKE THE BEFORE VERSION BETTER.

Is there some sort of Option or config tweek I can do to use the 'old/before' version? Probably hard coded now, huh? Icons would show up, for me at least, a whole lot better on the 'old/before' map! :D 

map-beforeafter.gif

^_^

Paul L. Ming

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same boat, but upon looking into it the accesible code for Minimap Icons isn't just json files and images as I would have hoped for.

I would love to make new icons for the minimap so if anyone works on the code side of things I'd be willing to help do some art for them :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sparkle Kitti said:

I'd like to see color choice be a drop down instead of having to type it in. I'd also like to be able to set a default color and be able to leave it blank for the default.

Ab9F6xpARkLFtcKoZ5refa-320-80.jpg

Proper Colour Swatch > Dropdown

Dropdown would be tedious just as the current drop down for icons is, imagine having to scroll through 32+ colours.

Icons currently should also be changed to look similarly to the Cave Art where its a big sheet you can see all the options easily from.

Edited by Smile
Added Image

11 minutes ago, Smile said:

Dropdown would be tedious just as the current drop down for icons is, imagine having to scroll through 32+ colours.

I don't think 32 colors is necessary; at the size of the icons, I don't think more than about 12-16 would be clearly distinguishable. The grid palettes are a bit slower to use than a standard dropdown, because you have to move the mouse more....

2 hours ago, Smile said:

Ab9F6xpARkLFtcKoZ5refa-320-80.jpg

Proper Colour Swatch > Dropdown

Icons currently should also be changed to look similarly to the Cave Art where its a big sheet you can see all the options easily from.

I was thinking mare a small dropdown with just the colors that are available to use. It can be just text as well

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sparkle Kitti said:

just the colors that are available to use

7 hours ago, Philtre said:

I don't think 32 colors is necessary;

16 million hex (#FFFFFF) coded colours and 140 english/word parsable colours (at least what the site below says).
I wouldn't suggest a drop down box for either of them. These are colours you can use right now in the game the websites I linked are when you click (List).

image.png.05e53bedef81e24bf19c7e847890d951.png

https://yorktown.cbe.wwu.edu/sandvig/shared/NetColors.aspx
https://yorktown.cbe.wwu.edu/sandvig/shared/ColorPicker.aspx

Edited by Smile

5 hours ago, Smile said:

16 million hex (#FFFFFF) coded colours and 140 english/word parsable colours

My point is that we don't need 100 colors, much less 16 million, because there is no point in including colors that are too similar; they all need to be distinct enough from each other that they can be clearly told apart. Ideally, you'd want a set of colors hand-picked to give good contrast and readability, and considering the size of the map icons, I doubt that you could find a set with more than maybe 20 colors.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

59 minutes ago, Philtre said:

My point is that we don't need 100 colors, much less 16 million, because there is no point in including colors that are too similar; they all need to be distinct enough from each other that they can be clearly told apart. Ideally, you'd want a set of colors hand-picked to give good contrast and readability, and considering the size of the map icons, I doubt that you could find a set with more than maybe 20 colors.

But with the ability to make your own out of the whole spectrum you leave no one out at all with any potential number of colour blindness problems.
Picking 20 colours risks picking too many that would isolate certain players.

9 hours ago, Smile said:

But with the ability to make your own out of the whole spectrum you leave no one out at all with any potential number of colour blindness problems.

There have been attempts to come up with color palettes that work for color-blind people. They tend to have a limited number of colors (and unfortunately also are frequently quite ugly.) Here's some examples:

https://thenode.biologists.com/data-visualization-with-flying-colors/research/

https://medium.com/cafe-pixo/inclusive-color-palettes-for-the-web-bbfe8cf2410e

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Smile said:

Truth. Offering a limited palette but allowing customization would fix that. And probably for most of us, the default would work fine, the colors specifically selected to avoid common minimap colors. There's nothing stopping a color blind individual from selecting colors he could distinguish. And for those who really need 16 million colors 😉, you can still take the time to find one to your liking.

I'm not saying disable any colors, merely that adding a waypoint can be a bit iffy in the early game, particularly since IME, wolves don't seem to howl much anymore. The first you know they are there is when you are adding a waypoint and losing half your HP...

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Sparkle Kitti said:

That's essentially what we have now only you have to type the word and try again if it's not one of the available.

That really is not how it works, sorry but theres 16 million hex code colours avaiable right now

11 hours ago, Philtre said:

(and unfortunately also are frequently quite ugly.)

Give them the ability to make any colour they want with a swatch so us visually non impaired can't make an opinion like this.

7 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Truth. Offering a limited palette but allowing customization would fix that.

Simply letting people have a swatch and then a "favourite" colours section would solve I think the issue these people who want specific pallets.
This is what every colour swatch I know of (paint, photoshop etc) has. a swatch and favourite/recently used. And a basic pallete too wow!

Just paint / windows swatch, I can tell no one in this thread uses these apps not gonna lie.
image.png.41be09b35182612d0821e6f72f66e184.png

Suddenly I had to start advocating for the visually impaired during this thread jeez.

Edited by Smile
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.