Fences in water

Khornet

Because that's how block voxel games work. Each block space can have exactly one block occupying it at any given time. If you try to place another block in the same location, it'll either fail to place, or it will overwrite the block that is already there.

Not all blocks visually fill the full 1x1x1 meter block space. But they are still a block, and still cannot share the block space with any other block. Meaning: a fence block cannot be in the same space as a water block. Period.

In order to make it work, a custom workaround is required that sidesteps this limitation. Depending on the game engine used, this may be fairly straightforward, or incredily difficult. Minecraft for example eventually came up with such a workaround for its engine - after nine years of development. Vintage Story uses a custom engine, and so I have no idea how hard or easy it might be to implement.

It also takes development time away from actual features, and since Vintage Story is not yet feature complete, this issue very likely way down the priority list at the moment.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Not all blocks visually fill the full 1x1x1 meter block space. But they are still a block, and still cannot share the block space with any other block. Meaning: a fence block cannot be in the same space as a water block. Period.

If it works for reeds, it can work for other blocks.

• Like 3

Hmm, good point, actually. Then the VS engine must already have such a workaround available for use.

That's good news actually, since it should ideally be possible to apply it to other blocks as well... unless it was made for reeds specifically and cannot easily be generalized. There's always that danger with in-development games where a one-off solution ("I need reeds to grow in water for this update!") is made on the quick without an eye for broader application down the road. A universal solution is hard to engineer when most of your features aren't even designed yet - how are you supposed to know how to support them?

Still, it makes me cautiously optimistic, and btw I am totally in favor of as many "waterlogged" (term as used in Minecraft) blocks as we can get. :)

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 1:18 PM, Streetwind said:

Hmm, good point, actually. Then the VS engine must already have such a workaround available for use.

That's good news actually, since it should ideally be possible to apply it to other blocks as well... unless it was made for reeds specifically and cannot easily be generalized. There's always that danger with in-development games where a one-off solution ("I need reeds to grow in water for this update!") is made on the quick without an eye for broader application down the road. A universal solution is hard to engineer when most of your features aren't even designed yet - how are you supposed to know how to support them?

Still, it makes me cautiously optimistic, and btw I am totally in favor of as many "waterlogged" (term as used in Minecraft) blocks as we can get. :)

Unless the water logged reed roots are a different block than non-water logged roots.  If those blocks are unique and separate, then we're back to waiting for the devs to working out a water-logged option for other placeable blocks.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

Unless the water logged reed roots are a different block than non-water logged roots.  If those blocks are unique and separate, then we're back to waiting for the devs to working out a water-logged option for other placeable blocks.

Looks like that's the answer. Put dirt around a reed like this:

[code]

MMMM

MRLM

MMMM

[/code]

M-Medium fert soil

L-Low fert soil

R-Cooper's reed

When you remove the L, the water does not flow from the reed to the tile. When you then remove the R, water flows into L as expected.

The conclusion I draw is that while the water/'reed block and the land/reed block have the same drops, they have a different replace, the land reed with air/nothing, the water reed with a regular old water source block.

Doesn't necessarily mean we have to wait for devs. All we need to know is how to specify the replace element. Which might lead to some really bizarre mods, like replacing lead with gold or something.

Edited by Thorfinn
Didn't realize code tags were not a thing

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.