More advanced snow

atsn

I think the snow in Vintage Story has a lot of potential. It could be extended to fall in different areas with different colors. For example, dust storms in the desert that leave beige snow (dust) behind. Or things like volcanoes and forest fires produce grey snow (ash).

It would also be very cool if you allowed snow to fall anywhere. What I mean is that instead of snow generator detecting and not placing snow on things like fences, it put it there anyway. The snow would detect what block was below it and conform its shape to that block. In the case of fences, the snow would sit just on the tops of the posts, and then on the ground at the base of it. I'm not sure if it would be feasible to do automatically, but maybe the models could contain some information about where snow would be placed?

I think this could add a lot to the game visually.

Yes, yes and yes I want ^_^

Hm. I currently have 5 unused bits of data storage per block. I  originally had the idea to use it to hold information about water, so that water could flow through blocks. But perhaps it makes more sense to use those for other things, like 1 bit to store if a block is snow covered or not. And if a block is snow covered, it could apply a different block model and texture (if available)

30 minutes ago, Tyron said:

I  originally had the idea to use it to hold information about water, so that water could flow through blocks.

Snow and water should not be mutually exclusive. Maybe 2 bits for block cover type (nothing, water/ice, lava, context dependent), 3 bits for block cover thickness (0-7). Maybe a chunk could hold the context about the last precipitation, e.g. snow or dust or a combination of both.

Yea you're right actually, 3 bits should suffice for water. I'd use 1 bit for snow cover and the last bit free for something else, until we actually need multiple cover types.

Many interesting things we can do with the few bits \o/
The last bit could also determine if the block has been generated naturally or placed by the player. (affects mob spawning?)

Oh, I could implement the water and snow cover bit stuff as seperate mod. Then other mods could use them for their own purposes. Neverending stream of ideas >.<

• 1 year later...

if snow fall will be a thing then might seasons be planned planned?  Leaves change colour and fall from non evergreen trees and a block bit maybe be used for dead leaves appearing on blocks below foliage blocks?  Leaves could be raked and mixed with grass and egg shells in a composter to create high quality soil.  Or do you want the highest quality soil to be a rare find?  I'm stuck because I do like the idea of the best soil being something you rarely come across and have to work into your farms as you find it.  I have plenty of medium fertility soil but I'm going to be pumped when I finally come across a little of the black stuff.

edit: Although if leaves are on the ground only a few times in an ingame year then I guess it makes gathering them a rare event

edit2: I just realized that there really isn't much of a need to rake leaves as they could just be harvested from the trees themselves and placed in a composter to die and decay.  Oh well lol

I rather like the rich soil being rare.  I found a patch the other day and knapped me up a stone shovel immediately and collected all of it!  I think the more hard-to-find goods there are, the better.  It makes finding them exciting.  But compost could certainly be used to replenish the nutrients I would think.  Though I don't think I really want to be raking leaves.  Maybe once food decay is in, decaying food could become good compost, including animal byproducts such as shells, bones, etc.

Yeah I agree.  Raking leaves is a pretty stupid idea in hindsight lol.  I haven't found any high fertility soil yet and will be thrilled when I do.  I agree that it should be rare and uncraftable.  It's like Minecraft with the mossy cobble which used to only be found in dungeons.  Some things should always remain rare and uncraftable.  

20 hours ago, DMKW said:

if snow fall will be a thing then might seasons be planned planned?  Leaves change colour and fall from non evergreen trees and a block bit maybe be used for dead leaves appearing on blocks below foliage blocks? 

Yes, I've been wanting to add TFC-Style Seasons since day 1. So far it's been a low priority until more of the core game is done.

Archived