No maps in Wilderness Survival

Muru

One of my main gripes with Wilderness Survival is the lack of a map or coordinates. Without it prospecting becomes a lot more tedious, traveling can make you repeatedly lose your way without leaving breadcrumbs or having good sense of direction, and generally the game is just slower.

I usually just turn on coordinates because I don't want to bother with placing signs whenever I prospect for something or having to place packed dirt behind me whenever I want to go somewhere kinda far from my house. If there was some sort of compass like this in vanilla I think it'd be a lot better of an experience. Yeah, it's more of a challenge to not know where the hell you are, to a certain extent though, it just becomes boring running around like an idiot for 2 hours after getting lost

I'd like to hear others solutions, like a map that players have to make themselves, or what you personally do to account for not having a map/coords in wilderness survival

Except that the absence of a map or coordinates is the defining feature of Wilderness Survival. What else does it really have that's genuinely unique?

I'd agree that a compass would enhance the experience, but even the two compass upgrades that that mod presents could be argued to detract from the map-less experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashery said:

Except that the absence of a map or coordinates is the defining feature of Wilderness Survival. What else does it really have that's genuinely unique?

I'd agree that a compass would enhance the experience, but even the two compass upgrades that that mod presents could be argued to detract from the map-less experience.

I'd disagree. No map/coords is just the thing that affects gameplay the most. There's plenty of other configs that are changed with wilderness survival. If it was just no map/coords, it wouldn't really be wilderness survival, would it?

Yeah, I think the relative compass in that mod should just be changed to point to where your spawn is currently set to, rather than where the compass was crafted. Not like you can label the compasses anyway, so it'd be easy to lose track of which is which. I don't really think the origin compass is needed either. Just a normal NESW compass would be a lot better, honestly

It's by far the most significant change, though. Harder combat doesn't fundamentally change the game. Neither does faster food decay. Nor does spawning further from the origin when you die. All those do, at worst, is make the game a bit less forgiving.

I just started a new game without the map or coords. It is a different ball game for sure. I've not got lost, at least not yet. I like think i have good sense of direction.

I like the game better this way. I just can't run away from a wolf to any direction, i have to know where to run or where i am all the time. Finding a surface copper and remembering the location later is tough. Simple marking for some cave is way different without the map.

I'm using natural landmarks all the time and i'm making dirt pillars to mark my way and pillars are pointing to home. I'm planning to build roads to all directions. I have to use notepad for the locations like this:

- copper north
- copper south-west, next to small bond
- clay far north, east from ruins

I have to use the sun for directions. At night it's ten times harder to navigate. It's fatal to get lost in the dark.

Thanks for the compass mod link. That's a nice tip. I might use it if the things get worst later in game.

15 hours ago, Maid said:

One of my main gripes with Wilderness Survival is the lack of a map or coordinates. Without it prospecting becomes a lot more tedious, traveling can make you repeatedly lose your way without leaving breadcrumbs or having good sense of direction, and generally the game is just slower.

15 hours ago, Maid said:

it's more of a challenge to not know where the hell you are

That's the point. Wilderness Survival is supposed to be harder and slower and more challenging and the main difference to the other modes is the risk of getting lost and not finding your base again because you made mistakes while running around or because you died and respawned somewhere 5k blocks around your original spawn point.

If you don't like that, play a different mode or change the settings or use mods.

Some people who like Wilderness Survival even want to remove the last non-natural bits that can tell you something about the cardinal direction, like the orientation of the tool heads while knapping.

10 hours ago, Maid said:

There's plenty of other configs that are changed with wilderness survival.

Yeah, and everything is supposed to make it harder, slower, more challenging and increase the risk of getting lost and losing everything if you are not careful enough. That's the point of the Wilderness Survival mode.

Edited by junawood
  • Like 1

Flowers are your friend. It's really easy to pick out the lone woad or dwarf furze on the ridgeline. Switch to lupine or something else really obvious when you are in a sea of yellow. You can leave a firepit or six around it to serve as a supply cache. You are carrying around a crapton of flowers to put around whatever wild bees you find, anyway. Just make sure you can see the last flower from where you place the next. You need to place markers much closer, but just converting a single block to farmland makes an indelible mark. A couple more hoed tiles can point you towards the next marker. A packed earth on top of a fence post also stands out. As does a lit or unlit torch.

And remember that wildfire is also your friend. 

[EDIT]

Oh, and if you are planning to play for a while, plant a tree not from the area not too far from whatever you use for markers. Those crimson maples are good. As are pines anywhere other than pine forests.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

Feel like ingame maps similar to the ones in Project Zomboid would also work for Wilderness Survival, just with some Vintage Story touch to them. E.g. The maps being blank by default, needing to be filled in using charcoal or other pigments, alongside being able to place symbols from a preset list... could also come in set sizes, needing to be expanded further with additional parchment.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It's a way to check direction, when you press:

Spoiler

ctrl+f3

With in game minimap game are too easy, but when i with friends on multiplayer explore 33.000x16.000 blocks area and something over 150 translocator it will be hard to remember evertything. its a good to dawning a map in medieval style - with relative positions of objects on map. Or i have a copy of our world ( generated by same seed and setups ) in creative mode, when we find something in wilderness  i'm use this copy in creative to fast find same pleaces and generate map - making print screen and binding together into big map in photoshop. Then export map files to Google Drive Drawing and adding symbols, texts, roads. Google Drawing can be easy share to other players. In this way we have map, but when we will use the new translocator we first must find them localisation before i can mapped them and add to our map. It's a compromise between playing without an auto-map and having a map.

GKIm6hZ.jpeg 

Edited by Laskuna
  • Like 3
  • Mind=blown 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2022 at 1:29 AM, maibock said:

Feel like ingame maps similar to the ones in Project Zomboid would also work for Wilderness Survival, just with some Vintage Story touch to them. E.g. The maps being blank by default, needing to be filled in using charcoal or other pigments, alongside being able to place symbols from a preset list... could also come in set sizes, needing to be expanded further with additional parchment.

Parchment, or alternative leather. First books are made by leather. For every Square of a map you need one peace leather and a pigment, depending also on the size of this leather. For creating a map, better also, that you can only paint/write the empty mappart, what the player can see actually, so you need to climb a mountain, hill, tower etc. for a better/faster map creating.

Edited by RobinHood
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.