Knapping Issue

EMSpara

Still having an issue when knapping flint. The game won't crash but it freezes and then Windows gives two options: close program or wait for it to respond. Never works when you wait so I have to close program. I can place the flint down, but when I go to start knapping, then it freezes up. I am looking into where I can successfully knap if I don't have one of the current tool I am trying to replace. It is an issue and it will not send a crash report since technically it isn't crashing, just not responding. Anyone else have this issue? 

@EMSparaI've had this issue before, and it was always for me caused by me trying to knap a placed surface, with a different material or no material or some other item.  As long as I knap with matching stones, I don't have that problem.  It's a very old bug and I think it's caused by specific graphic cards, because Tyron couldn't track it down.   Generally speaking, when you do bug reports, you should really state some system specs - at the very least your operating system, and the graphics card you're using.  These are very relevant details oftentimes.

Ok, added a small check in v1.9.4 in a section of code that could theoretically make the game freeze but never should in practice. If it really is the spot, it'll crash in v1.9.4 instead of freezing so we'd at least get a crash report. But I don't expect that to happen.

Sure. Ty for the info. Still doing it BTW. System info copied from dxdiag:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/13/2019, 15:51:06
       Machine name: GAMING
   Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_ltsb_escrow.190313-1806)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
       System Model: MS-7915
               BIOS: V1.0
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
             Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16334MB RAM
          Page File: 3636MB used, 16928MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode

Video Card is a Radeon 5700.

Edited by EMSpara
added more info

OK I am not really sure what you meant by knapping a placed surface or knapping with matching stones. I am knapping flint into a spearhead on the ground and I get frozen. I knapp any flint on the ground and I freeze up. How do I avoid this?

I think what RedRam meant was that you must be holding a stone in your hand for it to work. I've had something similar happen with other grids and it is always because I'm not holding the correct item, which means I can no longer interact with the grid.

Ya when flint knapping and clay forming you need to have flint/stone or clay in your hands respectively.   My problems always happened if I tried to do it with empty hand, or a torch or something else.

Related, I also get freezes still when I'm mining a block and it breaks and behind it is something like a flint knapping grid or a stack of firewood and I haven't let up yet and so I guess the game trys to do the same interaction (block breaking) with the thing behind, which doesn't use left click in that way.   It happens to me in a particular ruin once in awhile, because there's firewood behind the cobble.   Exact same type of freeze. 

I've basically just learned to avoid the trigger scenarios in both cases.

OK tried it just now with the flint in my hand while knapping a spearhead and it works! Thanks for the tips and please give more if anyone has them. Right now on single player mode I am using a traders hut as a temporary base. Seems easier than trying to build something to start. I did read as long as you have a wall 2 high around you (dirt or cobble etc.) no monsters can get you but you have to jump up blocks to get in our out. Would be nice to have an easier type door to make, like a straw or reed door. Then get fancy later on when I am making tools etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.