New Player, Questions

Rhyagelle

Hello,

I really like the game so far, spent 10 hours already in the world learning what I could and exploring. I also followed the guide link from the game to the wiki to read it and started learning about clay and smithing, but there are things I was wondering about that I can't seem to find answers for. Now hopefully I'll make sense here, but I might not so if that's the case I'll rephrase myself.

1. Is there a basics guide somewhere, for getting started beyond the one on the wiki? I'm having trouble finding certain ores/resources and figuring things out not on the wiki. Yup. I'm the newb that had trouble adjusting to Minecraft. haha

2.  Can I pick up non-claimed "loot" on the world map? For example, I've found temples and what appears to be abandoned houses with boxes and storage units that I could really use, and I've tried breaking them with various tools, but they don't drop, they simply break. Is this not possible to do?

That's really it for now, just a newb with some questions on getting started beyond flint/copper tools and eating berries for the rest of my life. If anyone could point me in the right direction if they got the answers, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks~

Regarding ores, check back on the wiki and find the article on using the prospecting pick. It can help point you in the right direction to finding potential higher concentrations of ores. Vintage story isn't like Minecraft for ore distribution. In basic MC you can pretty much find everything, everywhere; not so much here. Finding the alloys you need to advance near where you've set up base can be a challenge if RNG hasn't been kind to you.

Storage boxes and such that are around the world in ruins, should be able to be picked up on breaking them, for many of them at least. That said, in 1.9.6, a lot of that stuff, and your own stuff like ladders, was being destroyed on breaking when it shouldn't have, it was a bug associated with another change. I know it's fixed in 1.9.7 for ladders, not sure about other things.

• Like 1

If you find delapidated chests in ruins, those are meant merely to hold loot.  They're specifically designed to not drop, so that you don't get 'early' chests.  Sometimes they do spawn empty in certain ruin templates, which is a bug.

It sounds like you know about the in-game help guide accessed by pressing 'H', but you can also look at any block and hold shift-H, and you will get a pop-up about that specific block.   This is very useful to see what ores *can* spawn in a specific stone block.

• Like 1

Hello and thanks for the replies! 😊

11 hours ago, Kimberly Arcuri said:

Regarding ores, check back on the wiki and find the article on using the prospecting pick. It can help point you in the right direction to finding potential higher concentrations of ores. Vintage story isn't like Minecraft for ore distribution. In basic MC you can pretty much find everything, everywhere; not so much here. Finding the alloys you need to advance near where you've set up base can be a challenge if RNG hasn't been kind to you.

Storage boxes and such that are around the world in ruins, should be able to be picked up on breaking them, for many of them at least. That said, in 1.9.6, a lot of that stuff, and your own stuff like ladders, was being destroyed on breaking when it shouldn't have, it was a bug associated with another change. I know it's fixed in 1.9.7 for ladders, not sure about other things.

Oh, well the prospecting pick certainly sounds useful to avoid dead ends! lol The video is very helpful too, thank you for pointing this out to me.  I would have spent hours wandering around, getting lost, looking for ore otherwise. I've actually spent time picking up loose copper bits to make  the pick (and then some), so that's what I'll do when I log in.

As for the storage boxes breaking, I was on v1.9.7-rc.1, using a save from 1.9.6.  I tried just about everything in the room, the bed and tables included, and they just broke. Are saves not supposed to be carried over from older versions? I'll test a new world on v1.9.7-rc.1 and find a dungeon (?) to see if I can break the stuff.

1 hour ago, redram said:

If you find delapidated chests in ruins, those are meant merely to hold loot.  They're specifically designed to not drop, so that you don't get 'early' chests.  Sometimes they do spawn empty in certain ruin templates, which is a bug.

It sounds like you know about the in-game help guide accessed by pressing 'H', but you can also look at any block and hold shift-H, and you will get a pop-up about that specific block.   This is very useful to see what ores *can* spawn in a specific stone block.

There were chests that were dilapidated and, as I could tell, fine. I tried them all. And there were tables and beds and other things in the place that wouldn't break. The only thing I didn't try was the cobble floor and the loot boxes because I didn't want to waste them either, in case it was a bug.

I didn't know about shift-H. I'll try it out. :)

2 hours ago, Rhyagelle said:

There were chests that were dilapidated and, as I could tell, fine. I tried them all. And there were tables and beds and other things in the place that wouldn't break.

And this was not a trader wagon?   Trader wagons are 'claimed', which mean if you break anything in the claim area it doesn't drop, it immediately is replaced back where it was.    If you were on a public server, players can also claim their area for the same effect.

If these were just ruins on a single player world, that would be very odd.  Post a screenshot of the place, perhaps?

23 hours ago, redram said:

And this was not a trader wagon?   Trader wagons are 'claimed', which mean if you break anything in the claim area it doesn't drop, it immediately is replaced back where it was.    If you were on a public server, players can also claim their area for the same effect.

If these were just ruins on a single player world, that would be very odd.  Post a screenshot of the place, perhaps?

It wasn't a trader wagon, unless they don't always occupy them and they aren't always a wagon (and the message can bug out?). I was mining in a cave when I came across a room made made of the stone the temples are made of. Inside there was a bed, tons of chests (broken looking or new) and loot containers.  I also wasn't getting the messages that the area was claimed, and I was on singleplayer.

And sure, I'll try and go back to the place and get a screenshot.

Well for some reason the forum doesn't allow me to edit my post (it was only 10ms ago?), but here's a screenshot of the room I found that I can't break anything in. After I broke 2 chests and didn't get anything, I quit and made a backup of the save so that I wouldn't lose anymore stuff.

2019-05-26_11-43-26.thumb.png.9107818f7593e9d60b76acd6cd0d7d10.png

Info: Only mod used was Waypoints + my save was carried over from 1.9.6.

Edited by Rhyagelle
info

5 hours ago, redram said:

Were the loot vessels dropping stuff?  I don't see any chests in that picture.  Crates don't ever drop anything aside from the crate itself.

I broke 1 of the vessels, it simply broke. Nothing came of it. And yea, there were chests there, I broke them trying to collect them. Its that they don't drop as an item. My main goal was to take some of the storage containers for my home because I'm tight on space. When I tried to pick up the intact chest, it simply shattered. I tried another intact chest this time with a copper pickaxe, it shattered. I tried again with an axe, and it shattered too.

(basically my problem is this: the loot vessels are empty & I can't pick up any of the resources there so I can take it with me back to my base. I wasted the only chests there trying to pick them up.)

Edited by Rhyagelle

Well I regenerated the world, same seed and height (and name), and got back there. The cave is exactly the same, only the room was not generated into the cave, so it is empty. So I can't retest the items on a new save. :( I'll look for another dungeon room thing on the save that is having the problem and see if it persists. 

This sounds like a bug. The chests will be destroyed if you break them, but the items they contain should still be there (I've seen this on Ashantin's videos -- I just right click on the chest to open it and remove contents, but an empty chest cannot be opened in that manner).

There is one room that I've seen empty chests.. it also has a broken translocator. I've never come across any other empty chests except at a trader's wagon.

As has already been mentioned, both types of crates can be broken and picked up to use as decoration elsewhere. So if they are just breaking and disappearing, that must be a bug. There has been a recent bug that causes some items to break and disappear (like ladders and wooden pathways) and I'm not clear on whether that has been fixed or not. Which version are you on? 1.9.8 was just released.

• Like 1

I can't pick up any of the resources there so I can take it with me back to my base. I wasted the only chests there trying to pick them up.

Yeah... in order to actually take the chests back to your base and use them, you'd need to edit their .json file. The empty loot vessels shouldn't be happening..and you should be able to pick up nearly all of the other items (except broken translocators).

Ah, so the chests (not boxes?) aren't actually able to be picked up without editing a .json file? Okay that'd explain it then. What about the bed and other items, same for them too? They weren't dropping as items either when I broke them. Disregarding the loot vessels thing of course, because I'm certain it is a bug. Back in 1.9.6 when I started I found some and they worked just fine. Oh, and to answer your question, I was on v1.9.7-rc.1 using a save from 1.9.6. 

Since the room's loot is already broken and redoing my seed doesn't generate the dungeon just the empty cave, I'll just start a new save anyhow on the latest update. The loot vessels aren't dropping anything for me outside of that dungeon now either. 😅

No, the bed and other items can be picked up and then used elsewhere. Although it is possible that they also suffered from the bug that caused ladders and wooden paths to disappear when trying to pick them up.

Looks like we have 1.9.9 now. Hopefully whatever wasn't working in your game is fine now! Best wishes!

p.s. If you edit the chest.json, they need to be able to drop and also NOT be retrieve only. The 3 collapsed chests, I made collapsed3 have only 4 slots because it looks so delapidated. collapsed1 is the most pristine of the 3 collapsed chests, if that is of interest to you.

p.p.s Oh yeah, and also the slot changes won't take effect until you pick up the chest and then place it down again.

Edited by dakko
  • Like 1

Okay then, well the beds and stuff definitely were bugged. Well alright then I will try the 1.9.9 update. The .json edits is beyond me and I accept bugs in an early access game. I've had immense fun in the game so far so it means nothing to be to bump into bugs here and now. Plus starting over just means I know more at the beginning to get it done faster anyhow.  😊

Thanks for all of the help guys!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.