Where can I find any of the Grains?

Cavius
Go to solution Solved by Cavius,

I have explored my map fairly well and have done at least two wide circular laps around my starting location... pushing further and further out... hours of searching with zero grains found.

My biome is warm and forested with birch and oak... cranberries, white mushrooms, and a small patch of turnips.

I have pushed back nature and cleaned a good section to create a base etc.

I was hoping to find Flax https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php/Flax

Going to check some ruins and pray for seeds.

Am I missing something?

Do I have a bad world seed?

Edited by Cavius

I've had no issues finding wild crops in 1.16...

Is this your first time playing Vintage Story? Do you already know what the various wild crops look like, or are you unsure what it is you need to find? The grains in particular can look vaguely similar to grass at a distance, so it's possible that you simply didn't realize there were crops.

• Thanks 1

I am definitely new to the game. Been trying to find wild flax, spelt, rice, etc. I haven't found even one. 

I have watched some videos online to check out what they look like.

It is possible that I have dismissed them as grass. Will check again and update this post.

Thank you for the advice.

3 hours ago, Cavius said:

...and a small patch of turnips.

Generally speaking, turnips, flax, and grains are found near each other and normally are in an open, flat-ish or hilled area. Is that patch of turnips on the edge of your explored area?

They do not occur in forested areas. If you have forest floor, you will not find them. It sounds like you just need to explore a little further away to reach an open area. Are you playing with regular climate or are you playing patchy climate? I only play patchy, so maybe someone else can help advise on how to find what you need.

If you get into the right area, be sure to get up high so that you can look out over the terrain (even a small hill will help). Often you will find food up on the hills too, that cannot be seen from below. But tall grass can hide a lot of stuff until you are right on top of it. Alternatively, throw down a few ladders to give yourself a better view.

Edited by dakko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cavius said:

It is possible that I have dismissed them as grass. Will check again and update this post.

Thank you for the advice.

Grains are easy to mistake for grass.  Best indicator is that grass is rendered in a cross where grain grows in a square.

Grass block next to chick

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.d80361e53f0a6f1a16099c05379f7def.jpg

example of immature grain

mqdefault.jpg.4c6a27fe959a2b80542342b793c3eb8e.jpg

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.