Bear spawning conditions?

Maelstrom
Go to solution Solved by Saricane,

I've had them assault me in my settlement that is near (but not in) a forested area.  I've heard wolves prior to upgrading to 1.17 but have not had wolf attacks within the same area as I've had 3 bear attacks.  I'm not sure if the bears spawned in the forest and wandered into my settlement or if the spawned in the plains and found their way to my home.  

Additionally, in running through a heavily brush filled area (sans trees) I came across a bear, but I've also had wolves in that same area as well.

Based on my experience it seems that bears spawn where wolves do and have other places they can spawn as well.  Seems like desert may be the only place safe from spawning bears.

A bear spawned right in my walled out apiary area where there is no natural forest in a 200 blocks radius. It is right next to my tree farm though. Just as I exited the beekeeping shack the screen suddenly went brown and there was heavy breathing in my ears. Luckily the bastard was quite big, couldn't fit through the shack door and ended up in the composter barrel.

• Solution

No link between forest (or another specific kind of vegetation) and bears. Not linked either with wolves. Each kind of bear (5 types) spawns when min/max T° and min/max rain conditions are fulfilled. So roughly, it depends mainly on the latitude.

Keep in mind that bear stop spawning when light is 8+. So, putting lights around your base and most importantly around your animal enclosures will prevent them from spawning.

Edited by Saricane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Saricane said:

No link between forest (or another specific kind of vegetation) and bears. Not linked either with wolves. Each kind of bear (5 types) spawns when min/max T° and min/max rain conditions are fulfilled. So roughly, it depends mainly on the latitude.

Keep in mind that bear stop spawning when light is 8+. So, putting lights around your base and most importantly around your animal enclosures will prevent them from spawning.

Much appreciated!

On 11/1/2022 at 2:54 PM, Thorfinn said:

[Watching.]

I've heard them (but not always seen them) in forests and tundra. At least where snow abounds and trees do not. I have not heard them on just joe-standard plains, to the best of my recollection.

Hey, got mauled by a bear on plains last night. Nearest log sections probably 200 tiles away, though there were lots of birch bushes.

Not that I doubted y'all. Just that I had not yet experienced that. Pretty aggressive critters, eh?

The brown and black bears are very aggressive.  I presume the polar bears as well.

From what I've seen the sun bears and pandas are much less aggressive towards seraphs.

It's to the point that I am very careful moving around temperate areas once I know brown and black bears are spawning in the area.  I put up "stands" where I can take refuge if necessary, and often check which direction I will sprint if one turns up.  (And at least the brown bears run fast enough to keep up with you and make more attacks if you are a commoner.  I would guess Hunters will run fast enough to get away.)

Bears will also hang out with wolves - so you can end up encountering a combined group of them.

On 11/1/2022 at 7:58 PM, Maelstrom said:

Has there been any research in what conditions are required for a bear to spawn? 

In my limited experience it seems like it's similar to wolves, but I'm getting bears where I don't get wolves.  Seems like bears may have more lenient spawning conditions than wolves.

The game has no mercy on you. You will die. Don't try to understand how and when. It will even happen inside your own house. Death lurks around any corner. The only only control you have in how you will face it:

You can walk around the world, clad in heavy armor, like a coward, with a plummeting hunger bar and inability to get anything done from being weighed down from all that plate, and it still might get you, and you will fall with two puddles of blood surrounding you, one crimson red, and one brown.

OR

You can go about the world with your head held high and face it, only conveniently armed and armored, and ready to fight to the death should your predator surprise you.

Anything else than that is being huddled around the light with a false sense of security.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.