Any use for flint other than knapping tools?

FortMark

If I've got Primitive Survival installed, I'll gather for probably way too long in order to make more fishhooks than I will ever use. Otherwise, I probably never gather more than a dozen. Though the hoarder in me places them back on the ground when I'm copper, rather than just yeeting them.

On 1/28/2023 at 5:46 PM, FortMark said:

I'm starting to acquire a lot and not sure if I should keep trying to store it?

If you're playing vanilla, no. After the first 3-4 hours, flint is nearly useless. Keep 4-5 pieces in case you miscalculated something's durability and end up needing an emergency tool on the fly, toss the rest away as useless trash.

Some mods can make it more useful (looking at you, flint pickaxe, flint hammer & crude flint saw). But even then, that just extends the usefulness a scant few hours longer and makes the range of options for your emergency tool backup plan bigger; the main point still stands - flint is literally the Stone Age material of choice, and just like we stopped using it IRL once we learned how to use metal (except for hobbies and as a component in cigarette lighters), the same applies in this game.

Edited by Mysticar

I'm the kind that by the time I get bored and start a new game, have accumulated a half-chest of charcoal and dozens of charcoal pits in the couple thousand tiles around me, just in case I decide to bother with steel, which I've only done a couple times. Last game was the first one I consciously carried around flint to make axes for the crafting grid to make firewood. It really made the copper (never found tin, so got to iron with a mix of bismuth and black) last a lot longer. Undecided whether I'd do the same with iron. Probably not. There are already several dozen 3x3 pits of charcoal for the digging.

I think you can use it for path material if you like that kind of thing. Spears are too damaging to try to bring in goats from very far for animal husbandry, but using rocks would extend the distance some.

That's about all I can think of.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 11:02 AM, Bulteer said:

Use flint tools in the crafting grid, where tool speed doesn't matter. Flint knives for leather working or flint axes to make firewood save durability on your metal tools.

Not sure I want to spend a ton of time knapping all the flint axes to convert 2 trunks of logs into firewood.  A lot less time used in smelting a single bronze axe to accomplish all that chopping.

How do you accumulate two trunks of logs? Why would you want all of it turned into firewood? Genuinely curious, not critical. That said, that's what I do my first temporal storm or two. It's not worth fighting the buggers for the measly 3 fiber I'd get, so I just shelter in place. It may not be a guaranteed no-spawn region, but there is only one tile they might spawn, the one I'm sitting in, and there's a 1x1x1 space in front of me that I use to knap and clayform, with an accessible trunk for materials and products.

[EDIT]

Thinking about it, it might be possible for one of the crawlers to spawn in the space the trunk is. I don't know if they can do that or not under storm spawn rules. Maybe I should switch to using a chest instead of a trunk. In fact, I don't know that they can't spawn on the tile I'm knapping on and the tile I'm sitting in. Haven't yet, but that doesn't mean they can't.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

4 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

How do you accumulate two trunks of logs? Why would you want all of it turned into firewood? Genuinely curious, not critical.

How - chop trees, a LOT of trees. 
Why? Making steel requires a LOT of coal.  I find it quicker to chop some really big trees and create charcoal than mine out a bunch of coal.  16 ingots of steel requires something like 2-3 stacks of coal to fuel the process.  Get two furnaces going simultaneously and we're looking at 4-5 stacks of coal.

As for knapping during storms?  I've had success pillaring up about 20 blocks and knapping on the block I stand upon.  

Edited by Maelstrom

Ah. Yes, steel is charcoal extensive. 128 per batch, or something massive like that, I think. I just never bring trunks home in the first place, other than what I want to use for planks or crafting. I just pit it up pretty much right where I cut the trees. I don't think it makes all that much difference. True, one stack of trunks becomes slightly more than one stack of charcoal, but this way, whatever empty spaces in inventory I have coming  back home just gets filled with charcoal when I come past the pits. By wintertime, I've often got a trunk full of charcoal anyway. I think late, late game, I'd start bringing wood back, but not to store. To pit ASAP. Honestly, I'm losing interest when it gets to steel. There's just not enough bang for the buck. I find it hard enough to get sufficiently motivated to try to understand what I'm seeing trying to move boxes around smithing the parts of the iron anvil.

I used to pillar up, but had some mondo-drifter spawn right on top of me and he either one-shotted me, or he knocked me off for the coup de grace, I don't recall. Yes, pretty rare, but evidently can happen, even when I was actively knapping. So far, I have not been spawned on top of when n a 2-high space while sitting on a hay bed. Yes, the other tile above the bed is cobblestone or packed earth or something similar. So far so good, but that's what I used to say about pillaring, too. ;)

7 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Tree farm makes log gathering much easier.  Plant a forest near home, deforest said forest, convert firewood to charcoal, rinse, repeat.

Pine is especially good for this. Grows quickly, solid wood yield, high seed drop chance, and can be planted fairly densely (In 1.16, I had two blocks of empty space between each tree).

How about a tinder box? A limited-use tool to instantly ignite stuff.

image.png.723139aa46bcd6f52aea58dd2042c6d4.png
Crafting
Clay bowl + flint + iron/steel bits + dry grass

[EDIT] Oops! Should perhaps have posted this in the suggestions section.

Edited by Frepo

14 hours ago, Ashery said:

Pine is especially good for this. Grows quickly, solid wood yield, high seed drop chance, and can be planted fairly densely (In 1.16, I had two blocks of empty space between each tree).

I go with a single space between pine and birch trees.  I find oak and maple produce more per planting, but haven't tested overall yield for a specific amount of game time.  Will have to look into that.

You never get the massive trees in a woodlot, do you?

Different strokes, I guess. I used to do woodlots, but have come to realize that if there's a bear out there, I want to see him at max visual range rather than behind the next tree. I don't care to be on heightened alert when I'm milking the chickens or mucking out the bee stall.

Though one tile separation? Maybe that's a good idea. Yes, you can outrun bears in the wild by dodging around trees, so long as there are no straight lines for him to put his better speed to use, but bears don't seem to be able to get through 1 tile. Not quickly, anyway.

How about other spawns? I assume that means trash pandas, but do wolves spawn in trees or on forest soil or near horsetails, or what? I just assume if there are horsetails or ferns or sticks, there are wolves. But I never put much thought into whether it was those things or just a certain forest density or whatever.

On 3/9/2023 at 6:57 PM, Thorfinn said:

I just assume if there are horsetails or ferns or sticks, there are wolves. But I never put much thought into whether it was those things or just a certain forest density or whatever.

Wolves spawn in what is at world gen a forest (but not in all forests), even if you cut down all trees in that area.

It is part of the reason so many people have wolf problems:
      They find a place with a nice view except for the fact that it is really close to a forest.
      No problem! I will just cut down the trees that are in the way!
      Why are there so many wolves here?!?! (hint: you built right on top of the spawn point. Un-lucky)

They won't spawn in a player created forest if you made it in what was e.g a plains biome.
I do not know about bear spawning conditions. I have literally never seen one.

TL-DR: Wolf spawn points are set on world gen and are static. If you find wolves in an area you will find them around there again later even if you kill them.

EDIT: The opposite is not necessarily true. There might be a wolf spawn point there, that did not spawn them yet for whatever reason (or you maybe did not come across them yet). Your best chance is choosing plains, hills and mountains with little natural wood growth getting wood and tree seeds from elsewhere and making your own forest/treefarm.

Edited by Hells Razer

from what I see and understand: wolves' spawn conditions are forest floor blocks. If you cut trees - wolves spawn. If you replace the dirt of forest floor with regular dirt - they DON'T spawn. Even in their designated spawn points of world generation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hells Razer said:

Wolf spawn points are set on world gen and are static. If you find wolves in an area you will find them around there again later even if you kill them.

That might be useful. If the spots could be isolated, they could be fenced in and you can begin a new side hustle as a wolf rancher.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.