After the game started crashing...

mac1969

Greetings,

I run v1.17.11 (Stable) of the game with no mods. Out of the blue the game started crashing within few seconds after I log in. Posted in issue tracker, as sugested in the crash report, but my report was closed few minutes later for being a duplicate of another report!!! No explanation and no direct message to me. My game keeps crashing and I cant play, like at all.

When you buy I product and it breaks down, you have the right to know whats wrong and how long it will take those in charge to fix it. I enjoy the game and want to play it. I know there may be a problem and I'm not mad about that. But the way my report was handled pisses me off.

Please, look into it.

Thank you in advance.

I looked into it, but im not a coder, so I cant figure it out. I have another save, that works fine. Guess its about the zone, ro something in my inventory.

Anyway, I dont mind waiting, its all about the way it was closed - no explanation. It takes 1 minute, tops, to write a message saying, we will look into it and will let you know. Simple as that!

No. And it wont matter. As I said, I have another save that works just fine.

Here, this is the crash report, in case somebody wanna help:

Running on 64 bit Windows with 31 GB RAM 
Game Version: v1.17.11 (Stable)
10.3.2023 г. 10:06:01: Critical error occurred
Loaded Mods: game@1.17.11, creative@1.17.11, survival@1.17.11
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Vintagestory.GameContent.BlockEntityFruitTreePart.GenFoliageMesh(Boolean withSticks, MeshData& foliageMesh, MeshData& sticksMesh) in VSSurvivalMod\Systems\FruitTree\BEFruitTreePart.cs:line 212
   at Vintagestory.GameContent.BlockEntityFruitTreeBranch.GenMeshes() in VSSurvivalMod\Systems\FruitTree\BEFruitTreeBranch.cs:line 250
   at Vintagestory.GameContent.BlockEntityFruitTreeBranch.GenMesh() in VSSurvivalMod\Systems\FruitTree\BEFruitTreeBranch.cs:line 236
   at Vintagestory.GameContent.BlockEntityFruitTreeBranch.FromTreeAttributes(ITreeAttribute tree, IWorldAccessor worldForResolving) in VSSurvivalMod\Systems\FruitTree\BEFruitTreeBranch.cs:line 386
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientChunk.AddOrUpdateBlockEntityFromPacket(Packet_BlockEntity p, ClientMain game) in VintagestoryLib\Client\Model\ClientChunk.cs:line 422
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.GeneralPacketHandler.HandleBlockEntities(Packet_Server packet) in VintagestoryLib\Client\Systems\GeneralPacketHandler.cs:line 817
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientMain.ExecuteMainThreadTasks(Single deltaTime) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientMain.cs:line 1138
   at Vintagestory.Client.GuiScreenRunningGame.RenderToPrimary(Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\MainMenu\Screens\GuiScreenRunningGame.cs:line 123
   at Vintagestory.Client.ScreenManager.Render(Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ScreenManager.cs:line 678
   at Vintagestory.Client.ScreenManager.OnNewFrame(Single dt) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ScreenManager.cs:line 622
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientPlatformWindows.window_RenderFrame(Object sender, FrameEventArgs e) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientPlatform\GameWindow.cs:line 124
   at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.RaiseRenderFrame(Double elapsed, Double& timestamp) in C:\Users\Nexrem\Desktop\transfer\opentk\src\OpenTK\GameWindow.cs:line 476
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.DispatchRenderFrame() in C:\Users\Nexrem\Desktop\transfer\opentk\src\OpenTK\GameWindow.cs:line 452
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.Run(Double updates_per_second, Double frames_per_second) in C:\Users\Nexrem\Desktop\transfer\opentk\src\OpenTK\GameWindow.cs:line 375
   at Vintagestory.Client.ClientProgram.Start(ClientProgramArgs args, String[] rawArgs)
   at Vintagestory.ClientNative.CrashReporter.Start(ThreadStart start) in VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientPlatform\ClientNative\CrashReporter.cs:line 93

Were you chopping down a fruit tree?

Did you see a white cube with red lettering and go check it out? Consider that to be a "Here be dragons" inscription.

That said, I have not seen that in a while in unmodded 1.17. I thought most of those had been found. Regardless, it probably helped immensely to know exactly which tree had not been fixed.

You can try opening it in repair mode. Click on the pencil icon (edit) to the right of the world name, and somewhere down near the bottom is a button that says something like that. [EDIT] Oh, if you care about that world, and hope to try something else later, be sure to click on the button somewhere down near the bottom that says "Make a backup" or something like that BEFORE you try repair mode. [/EDIT]

Good luck!

Edited by Thorfinn

It just loads the map in repair mode. That is supposed to automagically fix all the invalid objects in the world. I understand often it gets used when someone stops using a particular mod and the world is filled with white cubes. Personally, I never bother. If I'm discontinuing a mod, I restart a new world.

I still don't know how some invalid fruit tree snuck past all the playtesting that's been going on, unless maybe you were starting tropical/subtropical? We always start temperate, and there are lots of games we never see things like hyenas or papyrus. Acacia only because we often play with Primitive Survival. 

Edited by Thorfinn

On vanilla, no. For whatever reason, there is something in the world that does not have a class or object definition in the game files, and I would think that any default spawns, mapgens and drops would not only be instantiated, but easily correctable by repair. The only issue would be that if there were mods involved, repair would have to use some ! filtering. I assume it does some, or it would not be useful to those who removed mods, but not having seen the repair code, I have no idea. A while back when 1.17 was in release candidates, someone reported a situation where two fruit trees spawned near enough together to cause a crash when they added leaf nodes, but I didn't pay much attention -- I figured with that detailed a description, it would have been handled. Since then I have seen two adjacent fruit trees, and no crash, so it must have, but maybe they weren't the wrong trees. *Shrug*

If there's even a remote possibility that you might have enabled a mod that affected mapgen or drops, even if you have since removed it, I'm kind of a broken record -- delete the Cache directory in the player data directory, i.e., whatever\VintagestoryData\Cache and let it regenerate, then if that crashes, delete it again and try repair.

I'm still curious, though. Are y'all in a temperate zone?

Edited by Thorfinn

8 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

a situation where two fruit trees spawned near enough together to cause a crash when they added leaf nodes

That's interesting. If it's the leaves specifically that are causing the crash, I should be able to go to the crash zone in winter, find the fruit trees and chop them down to quick-fix the issue, right? Assuming it's even the same problem, of course.

And yeah, I'm in a temperate zone. The only mods I got are a spyglass and a player corpse, and I don't see why either of those should have any reason to affect mapgen.

On 3/9/2023 at 9:39 PM, mac1969 said:

Anyway, I dont mind waiting, its all about the way it was closed - no explanation. It takes 1 minute, tops, to write a message saying, we will look into it and will let you know. Simple as t

If it's closed as a duplicate, than reference to your message should be referenced as well. You can always track the progress in original message.

You don't have to be upset, it's standard procedure. There is no need to have more open issues about the same thing.

The message you are looking for "we will look into it and will let you know" is the duplicate mark. It's not like is closed and ignored, it mean they know about the issue already and will look into it.

Well, I waited until November, and journeyed to the Fruit Tree Exclusion Zone. As I'd hoped, the game didn't crash this time. After a bit of searching, I found this spot. There's a mature pink apple and a young pink apple growing very close to each other, flanked by a maple and an oak. They still had some leaves on, but whatever was causing the problem wasn't there.

I chopped down both the apple trees. Of course, I won't know if that fixed the issue until next summer, but I have a good feeling about this.

2023-03-21_23-00-10.png

2023-03-21_23-00-29.png

Hmm. That's interesting. I've noticed in 1.18 that fruit trees (other than hot climate fruit) are spawning underneath the canopy of larger deciduous trees. Their growth will be inhibited by the other tree because there is NO air space separating them at all, and the fruit tree is completely covered. I've been cutting back the other trees to (hopefully) allow for growth, but I wonder if this peculiarity in the way they spawn has something to do with the crashing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.