Is there any sane way to lead animals?

Clockwork Mind
Go to solution Solved by dakko,

I've read from the survival guide and forum posts that herding animals requires luring them with leapfrogging food troughs, or hurting them to use their aggression/fear. I've also read from posts last year that people were wishing for ropes to be able to attach to animals and pull them around. 

Is this really still the only way to do this? It seems utterly insane (borderline unacceptable) to be playing a game that features a wide open world and animal husbandry, and yet the only way to move them is by spending actual real hours abusing their existing pathfinding. Am I missing a newer feature in the game? Is there an up-to-date mod that adds some kind of actual lure or leash that I wasn't able to find in my mod search? 

I was hoping for something a bit more immersive, on the level of using a rope or handheld food, but I suppose the slightly janky cages are preferable to the gameplay void of the base game.

How is this still a problem that needs mods to fix it? Animal husbandry is a whole mechanical system that's tied into the main progression. How is there still such a big hole in this gameplay loop, and why does the community just seem to accept it? I don't want to seem ungrateful to the devs, who seem to be working really hard to prioritize development time, I'm just confused that the community doesn't talk more about this. It seems like a really big oversight to just accept as the way things are, like if Minecraft didn't let you craft Sticks, and you could only get them from loot chests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I felt the same way (that you're expressing) about farming being gated behind the copper hoe. Stroam made an independent stone hoe mod (probably to shut me up 😅) and eventually the stone hoe was incorporated into the game. Although in that case there was some sort of philosophical issue about stoneage farming being too easy, or some such. *shrugs*  But, good grief, irl you'd just poke the seed into the ground with your fingers or maybe use a stick to break up the dirt a little bit. So I get where you're coming from. Just try not to let it spoil your outlook on the game... it will get there. The Team can only work on one aspect of the roadmap at a time, and different players have different priorities which is where mods can help fill in the gaps.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 11:58 PM, Clockwork Mind said:

How is this still a problem that needs mods to fix it? Animal husbandry is a whole mechanical system that's tied into the main progression. How is there still such a big hole in this gameplay loop, and why does the community just seem to accept it?

Weeeellll...  The developers consist of 1 full time coder (Tyron) and at best a couple additional coders that volunteer.  There's other full time people on the dev team that handle art and story development, but for putting those ideas into code?  Just the one.  I'd say the game we have plus (on average) two major updates a year is pretty freaking good for such a small development team.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.