Why No Seed Thread?

PhotriusPyrelus

Do you have one to share that you like?

Actually, my guess as to why we don't have one is that there are a bajilion different settings you can tweak for worldgen, and my understanding is that there's a lot that's calculated independently of the seed.

So I'd guess that sharing a seed would only work if you set your worldgen the same way, and even then the landscape would be similar, but the ores and caves and whatnot wouldn't match.

Edited by Echoweaver

22 minutes ago, Echoweaver said:

Do you have one to share that you like?

Actually, my guess as to why we don't have one is that there are a bajilion different settings you can tweak for worldgen, and my understanding is that there's a lot that's calculated independently of the seed.

So I'd guess that sharing a seed would only work if you set your worldgen the same way, and even then the landscape would be similar, but the ores and caves and whatnot wouldn't match.

Sure, but you can specify the worldgen settings you used.

I do not have a nice seed to share.  =(  I've been looking for a couple hours for one with a nice spawn location, haven't found one yet.  I did find a really nice seed a year or two ago, but while I still have the save, I don't recall what version of the game generated it.  Regardless, I wanted to start a fresh new seed for this latest version of the game.

40 minutes ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

I did find a really nice seed a year or two ago, but while I still have the save, I don't recall what version of the game generated it.

This won't be helpful now, since you want to start with a fresh new seed, but for future reference, you do have the ability to see which version the save was generated in:

Instead of selecting the save file to play it, click instead on the little icon to the right of the file name. There you will see which version it was generated in. Doing that will also allow you to copy the world gen settings and copy the seed, or start a new world with the same seed.

ETA: sometimes youtubers will share the seed of their Let's Plays. I suppose that is one way to preview a world.

Edited by dakko

I'd assume there's no seed thread due to player progression, as things in this game take a while to get going. I'm certainly no professional when it comes to this game (I'm basically an ape), it took over 14 hours of gameplay for me to get to the copper age. (additionally, I feel that after copper, the majority of the game becomes trivialized)

I'll share a seed with you, but keep in mind you'll have to travel for a while to get good (or crazy) world generation. '1964292447' (pics are from said seed)

2023-05-22_23-24-47.png

2023-05-22_23-24-21.png

2023-05-22_23-27-58.png

12 hours ago, Lord Kane said:

I'd assume there's no seed thread due to player progression, as things in this game take a while to get going. I'm certainly no professional when it comes to this game (I'm basically an ape), it took over 14 hours of gameplay for me to get to the copper age. (additionally, I feel that after copper, the majority of the game becomes trivialized)

I'll share a seed with you, but keep in mind you'll have to travel for a while to get good (or crazy) world generation. '1964292447' (pics are from said seed)

That's some *beautiful* landscape, and thank you for sharing, but what I'm looking for is something with a nice easy spawn.  Lots of vegetables and berries around, and relatively flat.  That last part seems to be the real kicker.  Hills, hills *everywhere*.

2 hours ago, Doom_Possum said:

you don't like hills or something, Man (?)

come on it's VINTAGE STORY, it has to have hills, how else can you erect an Apple Farm ??

I don't really like building on uneven ground.  It makes for nice views, but it always feels so awkward to build on.

Here's the seed I used that I liked so much.  It's seed 1840757324 from version 1.15.5.  I cranked up my view distance to maximum just for taking the screen shots.  I reduced the bitrate(?) of the screen shots in paint.net so I could put all 5 of them in one post, otherwise they too big for the per-post limit.

Here's four in the air just near where you spawn into the world.  The little pit just behind where you spawn next to the tree served as my work space for the first week or so.

2023-05-23_13-45-45.thumb.png.a749d90e529636fb928c3b37b56e59f7.png2023-05-23_13-45-50.thumb.png.6b6915610194e01038f912b5e766ee60.png2023-05-23_13-45-58.thumb.png.1fe72fc56c49764d4b281e138fe6c1e6.png2023-05-23_13-46-04.thumb.png.18613ffa314f5f72a1210b9cbe199eb8.png

Then here's one a few hundred blocks North West, where I actually made my real first real base, using the ruined tower as a starting point.

2023-05-23_13-48-06.thumb.png.3834d8594ebfe7a6cc6be65d0f4d6cfd.png

Here's a limestone start with a pretty decently flat area just to the south. All defaults, survival. [EDIT] Oh, wait. Permadeath, doubled hunger rate, 10 HP, Extremely Rare copper, no tin. I don't know that any of those should affect it but... [/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

14 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Here's a limestone start with a pretty decently flat area just to the south. All defaults, survival. [EDIT] Oh, wait. Permadeath, doubled hunger rate, 10 HP, Extremely Rare copper, no tin. I don't know that any of those should affect it but... [/EDIT]

The area South East of spawn is almost good, but it's a bit small.

Anyway, I found a decentish seed in 682248032.  Spawn in slate grave, but to the east is a nice biome.  There's a nice ruin foundation in the southern part of it, too.

EDIT:  Wow, yeah, I'm getting really, *really* frustrated by the variance even in using the same seed...

Edited by PhotriusPyrelus

15 hours ago, Echoweaver said:

I'm pretty sure that that minerals are calculated separately from the seed. I think really what you'll get from sharing a seed is primarily the landscape.

you are correct.  Minerals, plants, traders and pretty much anything not specifically geography (aka landscape) based is random.  @PhotriusPyrelus this is why there isn't a seed thread.  Pretty much any resource everyone is looking for is going to be different for each instance of the same seed.  Pretty much the one thing that people want variety on is the landscape.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

EDIT:  Wow, yeah, I'm getting really, *really* frustrated by the variance even in using the same seed...

What sort of variance did you see that caused you to write this? Normally I'm not seeing much variance in land formation at all, but I've not played around with it much since 1.18.2.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

you are correct.  Minerals, plants, traders and pretty much anything not specifically geography (aka landscape) based is random.  @PhotriusPyrelus this is why there isn't a seed thread.  Pretty much any resource everyone is looking for is going to be different for each instance of the same seed.  Pretty much the one thing that people want variety on is the landscape.

Yeah, seems about right.  Absolutely baffling why they'd do that...

1 hour ago, dakko said:

What sort of variance did you see that caused you to write this? Normally I'm not seeing much variance in land formation at all, but I've not played around with it much since 1.18.2.

Well, there's a ruin I go to in the seed.  One time there was a berry bush right in the center.  One time it was surrounded by flowers.  One time there were some tree bushes around it.  One time there were some vegetables up against one of the walls.  Weirdly despite the ruin itself seemingly having the same block arrangement for the walls every time, the very last time I rerolled the seed, the walls were a block lower almost the whole way around.

1 minute ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

Yeah, seems about right.  Absolutely baffling why they'd do that...

Well, there's a ruin I go to in the seed.  One time there was a berry bush right in the center.  One time it was surrounded by flowers.  One time there were some tree bushes around it.  One time there were some vegetables up against one of the walls.  Weirdly despite the ruin itself seemingly having the same block arrangement for the walls every time, the very last time I rerolled the seed, the walls were a block lower almost the whole way around.

Huh. I actually wasn't sure whether ruin placement was based on seed. That's useful to know.

2 hours ago, Echoweaver said:

Huh. I actually wasn't sure whether ruin placement was based on seed. That's useful to know.

Placement isn't.  It's always in the same spot (and it's always the same *kind*, but which blocks are cobblestone versus dirt versus air seem to vary.

Edited by PhotriusPyrelus

11 minutes ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

Placement isn't.  It's always in the same spot (and it's always the same *kind*, but which blocks are cobblestone versus dirt versus air seem to vary.

I'm not sure if I understand. If, when you use the same seed, you always get a ruin in the same spot, I assume that would tell us that ruin placement IS dependent on seed, at least as far as placement on the map. It sounds like there are several other variables are randomized, like the loot and what parts of the ruin are missing.

14 minutes ago, Echoweaver said:

I'm not sure if I understand. If, when you use the same seed, you always get a ruin in the same spot, I assume that would tell us that ruin placement IS dependent on seed, at least as far as placement on the map. It sounds like there are several other variables are randomized, like the loot and what parts of the ruin are missing.

Typo, or brain fart.  Ruin placement/location (and type; the one in question has always been a 7x8 rectangle) *IS* dependent on seed.

• Like 1

HI,
Maybe it's a little late, but I think you might like this seed, I used it in my Live series and I must say that for now I'm very satisfied with it there is a lot of flatness in the spawn area and also in the North-East part, several Berries and Cattails always spawn.
I created it at the launch of 1.18 so I don't know if it can still be valid, generated with survival settings, but since I play it live I only increased some parameters such as copper frequency, digging speed and tree growth speed .

Seed : 1077087819

Let me know what you think :)

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 9:38 AM, Jackal Black said:

HI,
Maybe it's a little late, but I think you might like this seed, I used it in my Live series and I must say that for now I'm very satisfied with it there is a lot of flatness in the spawn area and also in the North-East part, several Berries and Cattails always spawn.
I created it at the launch of 1.18 so I don't know if it can still be valid, generated with survival settings, but since I play it live I only increased some parameters such as copper frequency, digging speed and tree growth speed .

Seed : 1077087819

Let me know what you think :)

Yeah, a bit late; I've already got 4 hours in the seed I mentioned above.  I rather like it.

That said, the one you posted is lovely.  You start out in a pretty big shrub biome that I love so much with another big one to the north east across an isthmus.  And there's that big mountain right in view of spawn.  Excellent seed I'll be keeping in my back pocket in case I get frustrated or fed up with the one I'm playing; thanks!  ^_^

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

just don't rush it, a lot of people get very confused with all of the new SEED options (instead of the Classic Mountain), filled with flowers

the developer, i am sure, will leave you space to breathe, and room to survey your land, before the bandits get to your village

seeds determine stone placement AKA the stone layers which includes how the terrain deforms (AKA mountain and plains). then once the stone is placed the game generates a pseudo random heat map for EVERYTHING separatedly. you can "see" the ore heatmap with a prospector pic. just generate one world, go to creative, get a propick and prospect something in a really obvious place. then re-create the world with the same settings and repeat the process.. you'll see how different it re-created the ore map.

once the heat map is created then it applies the chances. for example a 1% chance of spawning a berry bush MAY spawn it, however a 99% MAY NOT spawn it. this is the reason you use your propick until you get something really dense and then you start scouting the area nearby.

this induces a lot of variability, which in one hand is desirable but renders the world impossible to recreate and on the other hand it makes the replayability skyrocket.

lets be honest. most people would love to have a world stuffed to the brim with a lot of food and with all the ores nearby but the game is not about advancing technology but adapting to the rough conditions and surviving

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.