Why doesn't alcohol provide satiation when your hunger bar is full?

BudgetLimeSoda

Alcohol takes ages to make, gives a visual debuff, and provides no nutrition. Why on earth would it provide no fruit satiation when your hunger bar is full if it doesn't even give you nutrition? I was so excited to try my first apple brandy in winter when I had no other fruit and my fruit satiation was low, only to find it did nothing because my hunger bar was full. Surely this should be one of the benefits of alcohol not providing nutrition, you can bump up your fruit satiation whenever you like.

I also think alcohol should cure freezing personally, and there should be nice quartz or lead crystal bottles and glasses and a wine rack (Maybe even customizable labels?).  I love the brewing mechanic, super awesome, but please, give it a little love!  

Keep in mind, once you turned the apple cider into apple brandy you actually made it so it offers no fruit satiety. It will reduce hunger, but doesn't count as fruit anymore. Wines and the other alcohol you brew from a barrel counts as fruit nutrition, but all the distilled alcohol loses its nutrition though still providing satiety. Also, only meals from a bowl or pie check to see if you are full, otherwise all the foods and drinks can be consumed at max hunger but do nothing for you. 

Seeing as there are artisanal bottles, but they currently do nothing, I imagine we may see bottles, jugs, and drinks getting touched upon again soon but that is purely speculation. I do like the idea of using alcohol as a means to "cure" freezing, might make the stumbling about a bit more worth while.

On 5/24/2023 at 10:54 AM, Ogi Teh yeti said:

I do like the idea of using alcohol as a means to "cure" freezing

Only problem is that in reality alcohol expedites death by exposure while numbing the person to the discomfort.  In game you wouldn't suffer cold damage until you suddenly die.  This would create many loud complaints from players.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Only problem is that in reality alcohol expedites death by exposure while numbing the person to the discomfort.  In game you wouldn't suffer cold damage until you suddenly die.  This would create many loud complaints from players.

This is true, however it depends on how realistic it's intended to be. Could just be something like it gives a slight bonus to players heat hardiness or something so it just slows down how fast they lose heat (although the reality is it makes you lose heat faster, you simply just don't feel it).

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 12:57 PM, Echoweaver said:

It would be lovely to see a game motivation for making alcohol. The mechanic for doing it is lovely. There's just no reason to do it beyond roleplaying.

Perhaps if we went the "viking" route?  The idea of drinking a bit before a battle to push through pain a bit.  I think in 7 Days to Die being sightly drunk increased your hand to hand and increased your resistance to stun.  So maybe if it increased damage BUT at some kind of cost... Like if it made your character a bit harder to control.

On 5/24/2023 at 6:57 PM, Echoweaver said:

It would be lovely to see a game motivation for making alcohol. The mechanic for doing it is lovely. There's just no reason to do it beyond roleplaying.

if you mean vines , its cheapest lowest effort to preserve fruit as jam needs honey who can be scarse early on (tho arg trader sells bowls of it) and even if you make it you need sealant

meanwhile fruit wine stored in semi ok cellar can last 25? 35? days ontop of 7 days of no spoiling when you seal it , when your playing alone or with friends i usualy have more fruits then i can eat or store who ends up half of it spoiling as only 2 cooking recipes accept them(atleast till press is made)

leftovers from fruit press is also "easy animal feed for sheep and pigs" tho that spoils really quickly

as for distilled alcohol it opens very good healing items , and making Vinegar(who has no use currently i

e) , not to say RP reasons , lots seam to carve alcohol ingame , deep rock galactic and other games teached me gamers love ingame booze

tho i admit "buffs" should be reworked as lots times new player wont know that meals from cooking pot gives "no hunger buff" and few other items as there are icons or timers

my only gripe is that vinegar not seams to have much use despite being used irl in food preservation since "it was found" , pickles date all way 40 centuries to mesopotamia if not even more

On 5/24/2023 at 6:54 PM, Ogi Teh yeti said:

Keep in mind, once you turned the apple cider into apple brandy you actually made it so it offers no fruit satiety. It will reduce hunger, but doesn't count as fruit anymore. Wines and the other alcohol you brew from a barrel counts as fruit nutrition, but all the distilled alcohol loses its nutrition though still providing satiety. Also, only meals from a bowl or pie check to see if you are full, otherwise all the foods and drinks can be consumed at max hunger but do nothing for you. 

Seeing as there are artisanal bottles, but they currently do nothing, I imagine we may see bottles, jugs, and drinks getting touched upon again soon but that is purely speculation. I do like the idea of using alcohol as a means to "cure" freezing, might make the stumbling about a bit more worth while.

well , other post people spoke about potential traveling traders(to make game interesting) who might pay you for stay and will trade items depending on "room provided" , would give interesting incentive to provide booze or have a tavern NPC could visit

i personaly would like the idea of so as currently trading is big pain , unless you luckout on having good starting trader (like argurniture one selling honey/wax/combs) and lots other traders are only usefull mostly early game

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.