Do you like to use crates?

ArgentumVir

I've been watching a couple guides and it seems like no one actually uses them. Meanwhile the fact that it can store tons of a single item seems really useful to me. Sure you really shouldn't have that many things you want to store like that, but I could see myself making a storage room with crates in each corner.

Because I play a different gamestyle than most (?), I don't find them terribly useful. I'm an engineer IRL, and this intrudes into my philosophy of the game in that I try to time my resource gathering to more or less approximate my resource usage. So I only really need to stash large quantities of stuff if I made a mistake and gathered too much of it when, self-evidently, I should have been doing something else.

I must be missing something here. It's only, what, 7 copper nuggets to make a chest, which lets you store 16 slots of anything, rather than 20 slots of one thing. If you had down time with some apocalyptic activity, you had time to make a half dozen storage vessels, 12 slots each, which didn't cost you any copper at all. You could also get that much storage with just 10 pieces of dry grass, albeit it requires more real estate, which, it turns out, is available in abundance. ;) 

What am I not getting about crates?

1 hour ago, Thorfinn said:

I must be missing something here. It's only, what, 7 copper nuggets to make a chest, which lets you store 16 slots of anything, rather than 20 slots of one thing. If you had down time with some apocalyptic activity, you had time to make a half dozen storage vessels, 12 slots each, which didn't cost you any copper at all. You could also get that much storage with just 10 pieces of dry grass, albeit it requires more real estate, which, it turns out, is available in abundance. ;) 

What am I not getting about crates?

I don't think it's the resource cost, but I think in my world that's certainly a factor since I can't seem to find enough surface deposits. Rather there seems to be a lot of one or two things that like to clog the chests you throw down. Dirt, peat, etc. It's pretty convenient to not have to look through chests too, as you can just hover and click with an empty hand and grab what you need. I honestly prefer the crates to ground storage for stuff like charcoal and peat and wood.

Since you have expressed a JIT style of play where you try and only spend time doing something when you need it, you obviously would prefer chests over crates. Besides that you can combine two chests into a trunk and get another 4 slots in a 2x1x1 package which is also pretty good storage economy. I personally do a lot of chore work at the start of each day. Shaving trees/bushes, harvesting grass, chopping trees. Stuff like that goes really well into crates and just comes out when it's needed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.