Make clay bits cary over to other builds.

I think it would be a good idea to carry over unused clay bits from previous molds, so much clay ends up getting wasted when making most things.
Maybe some sort of counter in the background that tracks unspent bits and carries them over to new projects when a certain key bind is pressed.

On a related note, the throw-nothing-away part of me would like to collect all the metal shavings from smithing and smelt them again.

This post should probably have been in the Suggestions forum, btw.

Something like making a single bowl or a single crock, perhaps? Clayforming always defaults to placing down a square of material, which you can pick back up where the recipe doesn't require it; and it's conceivable that there are recipes which need so little material that not even that initial square is fully consumed, nevermind any additional pieces.

That said, I've never used these recipes, because why sit down to make a single bowl? What a waste of time. And what a waste of pit kiln fuel. Make four instead, barely takes any longer and you never know when an extra bowl might come in handy.

And even if there were wasteful recipes... you get so much clay just from digging it up. The thing that makes me stop digging up clay is not that the clay deposit runs out - it's my last shovel breaking, or my inventory being full. A single individual clay piece is as close to worthless as it gets, nevermind the little pixels in clayforming. I'd rate a single stick more valuable than multiple pieces of clay.

Hence, waste from clayforming is honestly the picture book definition of a non-issue for me, as far as personal opinions go. (And I've made my opinion on smithing waste public in the past.)

Edited by Streetwind
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

Why make only 1 clay bowl?  First night I'll make 1 crucible, 1 bowl, 1 cook pot and 1 crock and cook them all in a single pit kiln when resources are still really scarce.

After that I'm doing the 4 items per craft.

Same, but 2 crucibles instead of a crock. They stack, and, worst case, it can hold stacks of ore (lead, tin, bismuth, silver, etc.) in case I need to leave something behind.

On 3/15/2024 at 9:12 PM, Nerdlin Geeksly said:

I think it would be a good idea to carry over unused clay bits from previous molds, so much clay ends up getting wasted when making most things.
Maybe some sort of counter in the background that tracks unspent bits and carries them over to new projects when a certain key bind is pressed.

I always play in debug view because I write mods, but it actually does have a counter. No clay is ever wasted, it just carries over to your next form.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.