Largest Possible Charcoal Pit Not 11x11x11?

Copperman
Go to solution Solved by Streetwind,

On a server, me and my friend decided to to actually create the stated largest possible charcoal pit which the handbook states is 11x11x11

Unfortunately when we fired it we discovered that the burning only affected 6 blocks deep.

I went to confirm this in creative and made several 11x11x11 woodpiles and burned them and found this effect to be consistent.

Is it actually the case that the maximum size is 11x11x6?

Attached are some pictures of the woodpiles.

2024-04-15_19-30-06.png

2024-04-15_19-30-12.png

2024-04-15_19-30-18.png

2024-04-15_19-30-22.png

• Solution

The maximum size is 13 by 13 by 13.

All firewood within 6 blocks of the firepit will be converted to charcoal. 6+1+6 = 13.

If you put the firepit up on top, then obviously all you're going to get is the 6 layers below it. In order to reach more layers, the firepit must be placed inside the cube of firewood, and you must finish building the cube and covering the pit in the grace period after igniting.

Yes, this is impractical. :P But then, charcoal pits of this size are silly to begin with.

• Like 2

It's not really that hard, but as you point out, not really worth it other than bragging rights.

If you set it up right, all you have to do is light the fire, climb up the rope ladder, remove the rope ladder, remove one non-gravity block (hay would be quickest) so all the wood stacked on top of it falls into the hole, plug it up. All told, 3 seconds or so. I think you could probably obviate the "plug" step by putting a sand block on the very top of the firewood, but I've not tried it.

On 4/16/2024 at 1:10 AM, Streetwind said:

The maximum size is 13 by 13 by 13.

All firewood within 6 blocks of the firepit will be converted to charcoal. 6+1+6 = 13.

If you put the firepit up on top, then obviously all you're going to get is the 6 layers below it. In order to reach more layers, the firepit must be placed inside the cube of firewood, and you must finish building the cube and covering the pit in the grace period after igniting.

Yes, this is impractical. :P But then, charcoal pits of this size are silly to begin with.

Thanks for clearing that up! That makes sense! Yes it was silly. We did it more as a flex than out of practicality

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.