What is the best perk/profession to start with ?

Tubik Gleba

I'm assuming you're talking about which class to pick in the vanilla game, and not something modded. In which case I would say that Commoner is probably the best one for a brand new player to pick, as it offers no drawbacks to its playstyle and will be a solid choice for doing everything the game has to offer. Personally though, I would pick whichever class sounds the coolest and go from there. There may be some drawbacks to work around, but nothing terribly difficult, and the game will be more enjoyable if you're playing a class you actually want to play as opposed to whatever was supposed to be the "best". And if you try a class and decide that you don't like it, you can always start a new world with a different class(I think there's also a console command to switch your character class as well, but I don't know what it is).

If you're referring to the professions in the XSkills mod...I would say either pick a profession that you really enjoy, or pick one that will make the gameplay loops you don't enjoy that much less tedious.

The easiest class to start the game with is Malefactor, as it is specifically statted out to make the earlygame more easy: you find additional resources and food in almost everything in nature, and you get more loot from ruins as well. In addition, animals are less likely to detect and react to the player, which makes both hunting prey and avoiding predators easier. Its special recipe, the sling, is one a lot of players sleep on - it's not the strongest of weapons, but it fires fast. And its ammunition is stupidly cheap, zero effort, and you can pack a huge amount into a limited inventory. The biggest downside of the class is reduced combat potential, especially melee - which is perfectly fine for a new player, as they should be avoiding combat anyway. It does however lead to the Malefactor being quite weak in the lategame.

The Blackguard is in many ways the polar opposite - the early game is more difficult, but it becomes a real powerhouse in the hands of an experienced player. Avoid this if you're just starting out.

The Hunter is quite balanced across all stages of the game, and probably the overall strongest class after all is said and done. A perfectly good pick, even for a new player. Additional food from hunting, better ranged combat, better craftable ranged weapons. The increased movement speed is probably its most popular feature, and it helps with getting away from danger as well as with the tedium of long-distance travel. The main downside, less ore yield, is probably not as big as most people think it is, because ore really is very plentiful out there. New players may struggle with prospecting, which is fair... but especially experienced players can pretty much ignore this downside completely.

The Tailor is an okay class if you play with class-exclusive recipes enabled. Its pros and cons don't look that convincing, but the recipes available are absolutely worth it. On the other hand, you could just turn class-exclusive recipes off, and choose a class with better traits... and the downsides this class has do make it harder to find food and early resources. I'd avoid this class on a first playthrough.

The Clockmaker is weird, and hands down the weakest class overall. None of its upsides matter in practical gameplay, except for the movement speed (which the Hunter also has). The downsides on the other hand do matter, a lot. Sure, it has a fun gimmick where you can tame a certain kind of monster and have it follow you and fight for you... but then again, you can have that with any class if you turn off class-exclusive recipes... Definitely avoid as a new player.

And finally, the Commoner. This is the class for you if you're afraid of red text. Unfortunately, most classes have more upsides than they have downsides, so this leaves the trait-less Commoner as the objectively second-weakest class in the game (just after Clockmaker). It can still be a decent starter, since you don't have to account for a weakness... but in doing so, you're actively forgoing advantages that would make learning the game easier.

TL;DR: pick Hunter or Malefactor to have a leg up as a new player.

Edited by Streetwind
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

TL;DR: pick Hunter or Malefactor to have a leg up as a new player.

You stated it all a lot better than I! 😂 I completely forgot about class-exclusive recipes as well. I would definitely recommend new players turn that option off if they are playing singleplayer, as the sewing kit isn't obtainable otherwise(I don't think it drops as loot from anything and traders don't sell them for some reason). And while sewing kits aren't necessary for standard gameplay, you'll need them to maintain your favorite pieces of clothing and keep them useful.

48 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

The Blackguard is in many ways the polar opposite - the early game is more difficult, but it becomes a real powerhouse in the hands of an experienced player. Avoid this if you're just starting out.

Agreed, for the most part, though I would argue that the extra health can sometimes allow you to sometimes survive situations that other classes probably wouldn't, and it's the ideal pick if you love melee combat. That being said, those kinds of survival scenarios don't come up that often, and if the health is that much of a concern the starting health pool can be easily increased via the world options.

Honestly, I always say to pick whatever class you think looks coolest or whichever's backstory snippet interests you the most!
Even the worst class debuffs aren't a huge factor in defining a playthrough. :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LadyWYT said:

while sewing kits aren't necessary for standard gameplay, you'll need them to maintain your favorite pieces of clothing and keep them useful.

Not exactly.  Flax fabric is a generic recipe and repairs clothes.  Just not as much repair as sewing kits.

• Like 1
  • Mind=blown 1

3 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Not exactly.  Flax fabric is a generic recipe and repairs clothes.  Just not as much repair as sewing kits.

WHAT?! I'm gonna go try this! I didn't even know that was a thing, I thought it had to be sewing kits. Now I can turn the class-exclusive recipes back on like I had originally!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LadyWYT said:

WHAT?! I'm gonna go try this! I didn't even know that was a thing, I thought it had to be sewing kits. Now I can turn the class-exclusive recipes back on like I had originally!

Flax twine restores 10%
Any linen sheet or any cloth restores 50%
Sewing kits restore 75%

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.