Helve Hammer Power

So... I'm pretty sure i need more Sails -- cause this set up Jams and doesn't run my helve hammer.   I'd like to confirm that i don't have anything else messed up with torque and whatnot.   I want to put a quern and pulverizer on the large gear eventually -- but right now I don't seem to have enough power to run anything.

image.png

You can test in creative. There's a motor block with configurable torque output.

I'd recommend building a clutch and transmission for each thing you want to power. That way you can divert power when the wind dies down. (Also, the hammering sound gets annoying fast.) You can just remove an axle for the same effect until you get enough resources. Just make sure to leave room to add them later. (IIRC, they can't be right next to the large gear, so your helve is too close. Trying to remove the axle there will cause the angled gear to pop off.)

Edited by Bumber

Helve hammer placement is fine.  There just isn't enough power output from the single sail on a single windmill rotor.  Putting a full set of 5 sails on the windmill will help, but likely still have inactive mechanisms when wind strength is low.

For highest power, make four windmill rotors and max out the sails to 5 each.  Next build the windmill part 60 blocks above sea level.  Doing this will keep your helve hammer running more consistently, but may still have some periods of slowness.

• Like 1

Welcome, @thatmarlerguy!

Like the famous rapper Maelstro M said, you are way short on torque.  I don't know what ratio the large gear gives, but it's probably at least 3:1, and if so, that setup is trying to run a helve hammer at 1/3 of what that one sail produces.

It would probably work with just an angled gear at the bottom and a couple more sets of sails, depending on the wind speed, but a single set of sails is not much power. I generally find I need at least 2 rotors at least mostly filled with sails to get sufficient speed so it finishes plates before they cool off.  And I usually put a large gear on top so I have the option to add up to 4 rotors.

Try it on creative, like @Bumber suggested.

Edited by Thorfinn

Two important things that nobody has mentioned yet.

1) Altitude! The wind gets MUCH stronger when you go up. At altitude 180-200, it's pretty much always over 50% strength, which is enough for a three-sail windmill to drive a helve hammer at full speed. Move your windmill to a mountaintop (you can run a flight of stairs&ladders up the tallest thing in the game in a day or so), or else build yourself a tall tower, or something.

2024-06-28_19-29-19.png.d33102583a12594c62bc95496850c447.png

2) Simplify! Gears and complicated powertrains look neat, but start it as simple as you can. Here's a perfectly functional mill with nothing but a windmill rotor with three sails, ONE axle to hold it in place, and the helve hammer. Start adding more complicated mechanisms AFTER you have it working.

2024-06-28_19-31-04.thumb.png.3fda02e9e0318d81d10f53f29f916caa.png

12 hours ago, Michael Gates said:

Two important things that nobody has mentioned yet.

Good points. I noticed he was only at 126, which is (probably) only 16 above sea level. That can work. It's plenty for your early (and, really, forever) quern.

Hmmm. So 3 sails is enough to get full speed on your helve, or is it only when wind is strong or better? I'm finding I need two full sets just to be reasonably sure it's going to work when I need it. And that's in the winter. But if that kind of simplification is sufficient with just a single full set, I could use the other to always have the pulverizer running. Though what's the point? I only lose 3 to maybe 6 Tier 1 per batch of steel. Though I could see the utility of running 2 helve hammers. And if it saves about a stack of fat...

[EDIT]

That is a more elegant solution, @Michael Gates (Did you realize you have to type in up to at least the "G" to get to your handle?) It hadn't occurred to me that axles that were not in pillow blocks would also have friction, but I bet they do. The 50-ish axle resistances bringing power clear to the ground might be why I need so many sails.

I hate how long it takes to climb up and down ladders. Might be faster to build a path. Have to time that out, how much time it takes to run a path up to 170 vs. climb a ladder, and figure out how many trips it takes to break even.

[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]

Answer is probably on the order of 1000 trips. Took me about 2 days to build the stupid path from ground to 170, and that's not including the time it took to get the materials. I just had those sitting in a chest. I had forgotten why I so loathe making paths on anything but level ground. Where its hard enough to justify. And since I fell to my death once while building, ladders it is. Wonder if I can't figure out a way to drop into a waterfall so I don't have to spend all that time climbing back down...

[/EDIT2]

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Like 1

On, and as to your question, that I don't think anyone has answered explicitly, @thatmarlerguy since your apparent goal is to be able to leave the 3 machines attached and at ground level you will have to replace the top angled gear with a large gear. That will match torque. What you have would spin the lower axle at 5x that of the windmill rotor, but at 1/5th the torque. That's probably enough for a  high-speed quern, but not nearly enough for a helve.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.