chalk or limestone everywhere is better...

Arsat

Hi.

I really must say i am pissed. I run one hour straight east and only find 2 outher rock regions but i need chalk or limestone for leathermaking.

There are no pois. There is no reason to run hours! around to only find chalk or limestone.

Pls make rare spots on ground (and below) with chalk or limestone in all rock regions.

To play hours ! only to find chalk or limestone without outher reasons s.. really hard.

• Like 2

This has always been a problem, honestly. I've complained about it in the past, spending hour after hour exploring only to come up empty. It's caused me to burn out on the game several times and need a long break before coming back. I believe the developers' solution was to add lime to traders' inventories sometimes. So instead of spending a ridiculous number of hours searching for limestone or chalk, you spend a ridiculous number of hours searching for a commodities trader who has lime in stock and desperately grinding or searching for gears to trade for it. I agree that it should be much more common than it is. I do think limestone is more common now than it once was, but you might still have to search 10,000+ blocks to find it, depending on luck. I do think there are certain types of stone that might have a limestone layer underneath (basalt is one of them for sure, not sure about others). I find it most useful to explore around mountains and cliffs, since you can see "under" the top layers easily since they're sticking out above ground. I don't know if the developers will ever make these stones more common (I doubt it, since most of the changes they make are to make the game grindier and more difficult, not easier), but I think it's possible to manually modify the game files to make them more common, or make them available really cheaply from NPC traders.

• Like 1

Actually i dont quite agree with you. 

I dont know if I was just lucky at my first playthrough but besides Halite (for salt) i found everything i needed quite fast. 

I think leatherworking isnt a early game thing to do and searching for a while to find chalk is ok. Of course you need to explore some caves not just the surface to do so. 

• Like 1

yesterday i search 4,5 hours für lime ... 4,5 hours ! realtime hours.

Ingame there are no pois. Only trader (which i dont need) or ruins (but i need the inv for lime).

I know a lot of people enjoy games like this. I have a special talent... No Mans sky was boring for me too. I have seen 10 planets und 10 creatures and can exactly represent what i will see next. A random seed generator is for me like 1+1 not 10*2 like for outher people...

After the 4,5 hours of no pois i was so many pissed... and no there was no chank or lime and i dont overlooked it.

1 hour east... 1,5 hours back (we really need a complet map not like atm) 1 hour west and 1 hour back.

AND today i was in all canyons i have seen... 10 % there was ore. 90 % there was nothing... i found nothing to explore

Edited by Arsat

You really seem to be very unlucky. Some days ago i walked just one ingame day south of my spawn region and found several other bioms containing limestone...

I wish you good luck finding what you need soon. For me it always helps to look at the caves if there is this extra layer of limestone underneath the normal stone. Normaly you cant see it from above. 

The issues is that it's fully luck-dependent. Yes, sometimes you just have to explore for a short while to find the stones you need. In some worlds you can wander for 10+ hours and not find it. Making it necessary to explore a bit is great, but it's *too* random, to the point where sometimes it seems like entire worlds can generate with no chalk/limestone. And since it can take a long time to figure out whether you have easy access or not, it gets really frustrating when you realize you've wasted half a real-life day searching for something that simply doesn't exist (speaking from experience). I don't necessarily think it should be in every biome, but there should be a higher chance than there currently is of it spawning in each area, for sure.

I have personally spent around 5 real life hours in own world also sprinting non-stop searching for any Limestone or chalk to no avail. Numerous chunks of fully explored rock layers. I mean everytime I found a new rock on the service or through a cave I ALWAYS checked down far enough for 4 different rock layers and for them to loop back around. Thousands of blocks ran in every cardinal direction and nothing. The only lime I can get is very limited from 1 trader and ive found a total of 5 shells which is nothing. I have a rough time believing this is just simply "bad luck".

That's the whole thing though, it really is about luck. if you look at the replies in this thread that becomes clear. Some players are saying "there isn't enough, I've been searching for hour after hour and found nothing" and other players are saying "it's not that rare, I found loads of it really easily, you must not be looking hard enough." It's not a question of looking hard enough, it's the fact that different worlds have wildly different mineral generations. In some worlds I spawn in a limestone biome. In others I can spend a dozen hours searching and not find a single bit. It's not necessarily that the game needs "more" of these stones, it's just that they need to spawn more consistently in every game world, because right now it seems to be feast or famine.

I think there might be a solution that does not require changing the world generation.

How about giving limestone/chalk stones a very high dropchance inside forage containers?

From what i can understand it's not like you need big amounts of lime (at least to get enough leather for the backpack) so if you can get a moderate amount out of ruins that might at least be enough to cover basic needs and anything above would be luxury (which can be fulfilled by searching)

It's not like i can't understand that not finding any is frustrating, I haven't found any limestone/chalk in my world until now either, and the amount of tin i found was just enough for getting an amboss (16 nuggets) but i think finally finding what you are looking for is such a important moment in this game that simply making everything easy to find would take away a whole lot of the long-time motivation.

So, giving out a bit of limestone over ruins would be just fine but making it available everywhere just because we sometimes have no luck is a big NO.

• Like 1

Hi, i have the same issue like Arsat. No limestone or chalk anywhere. I am still new to the game, so i was taking my time and expected some challenges. But this search was fruitless and very difficult.

My biggest issue was and still is that you need processed leather to get some form of protection against attacks (wolves). I almost died so many times, it was awful. It took me already quite some time to get enough resources to craft 1 bronze Anvil, hammer and 1 pickaxe. Iron is everywhere but i could not process it. But now after 70 hours in and now no lime/chalk i almost quit.

TLDR: So what i did in the past hour. I did some research about leather processing and i found out, that in the past  wood ash/cinders of wood  was used to process raw hide. So i created my own but crude, unrefined and still unbalanced mod. What it does right now:

Hammer + Charcoal -> Ash-Dust; Barrel: Ash-Dust + Water -> Ash-Water-Solution; And that is used to process raw hide just like lime does.

On 3/14/2020 at 11:22 AM, Arnor said:

Hi, i have the same issue like Arsat. No limestone or chalk anywhere. I am still new to the game, so i was taking my time and expected some challenges. But this search was fruitless and very difficult.

My biggest issue was and still is that you need processed leather to get some form of protection against attacks (wolves). I almost died so many times, it was awful. It took me already quite some time to get enough resources to craft 1 bronze Anvil, hammer and 1 pickaxe. Iron is everywhere but i could not process it. But now after 70 hours in and now no lime/chalk i almost quit.

TLDR: So what i did in the past hour. I did some research about leather processing and i found out, that in the past  wood ash/cinders of wood  was used to process raw hide. So i created my own but crude, unrefined and still unbalanced mod. What it does right now:

Hammer + Charcoal -> Ash-Dust; Barrel: Ash-Dust + Water -> Ash-Water-Solution; And that is used to process raw hide just like lime does.

Sounds like potash, which actually makes perfect sense.

I must say I'm loving the game so far... But this limestone/chalk thing is ridiculous. Having fruitlessly searched for over 3 hours in real time last night and ended up empty handed, I thought I would load up a creative game and fly about....2 hours later and over 10k in each cardinal direction still nothing.. Such massive biomes but the underlying bedrock does not really change at all for what seems like a 4-8k tile radius. Something so intrinsically linked to game play and progression it seems a bit of a missed opportunity to not have an increased number of differing rock types in your strata to make things a bit more interesting and also achievable. Having enjoyed progression so far it seems a bit of a kick in the teeth that I'm probably gonna have to scrap my 30 hours of play so far and start a new world that has limestone as a starting biome.... *sigh*

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 1:11 AM, Ferali said:

Sounds like potash, which actually makes perfect sense.

Thanks, that's the english word i was looking for.

I have read the patch notes of the new update. I am glad that some changes were made. 

I guess i will stick to my solution for the time being.

• 4 weeks later...

2nd day spent looking for limestone and I'm burnt out.  4 hours yesterday and then 3 this morning and I cannot see me coming back until something is done about this grind.   And this is me self isolating, if this had been a normal day with me having around 2 hours for gaming per night then I would have dropped the game sooner.  This item is not something you can work around ingame, I need the leather for armor so I can go deep dive the caves, there is no work around.  Either increase the amounts that are generated or link them to specific biomes

6 hours ago, Digdeep said:

This item is not something you can work around ingame, I need the leather for armor so I can go deep dive the caves, there is no work around. 

You can use borax as a replacement for lime in making leather.   However there is no replacement for lime when it comes to making mortar.

I have yet to see any Borax, I see from the table that it is a surface ore.  I'll give it a go again later today.

As for plaster, here in the UK all our plaster is made using Gypsum (it also doubles as a fertiliser),and there is no shortage of it, maybe this could be added as a surface or shallow ore, and plentiful, just so people can create mortar to build, there is always a portion of the playerbase who arent that interested in progression, they much rather make nice bases etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.