Jump to content

Regarding the impact of the crashcode put into ConfigLib and the needed clarification and explanation of the code for layman understanding


Recommended Posts

Posted

You people are crazy, man. A little cuckoo for cocoa puffs, you know what I'm sayin? It might do well for some of ya'll to introduce some sort of depressive substances into your central nervous system. Dull those neural floodgates a little bit, ya feel me?

 

I didn't have anything else to add to the conversation, which I understand could be looked upon as some sort of issue, but reading through this thread makes me feel a bit like I'm descending the hallways of some sort of antebellum insane asylum. It's all gonna be okay in the end, friends. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cookie time 1
Posted
16 minutes ago, BoglimZero said:

You people are crazy, man. A little cuckoo for cocoa puffs, you know what I'm sayin? It might do well for some of ya'll to introduce some sort of depressive substances into your central nervous system. Dull those neural floodgates a little bit, ya feel me?

 

I didn't have anything else to add to the conversation, which I understand could be looked upon as some sort of issue, but reading through this thread makes me feel a bit like I'm descending the hallways of some sort of antebellum insane asylum. It's all gonna be okay in the end, friends. 

Excuse me, but I am cocoa for cuckoo puffs. Also Pizza.

  • Cookie time 1
  • Confused 1
Posted
On 9/13/2026 at 2:02 AM, Juwan Alexander said:

So did it disrupt service of anything other than your installation of the game that it determined was using cheats enough to actually warrant using that term to describe it? Targets of DDoS attacks are usually servers rather than clients because it is more efficient if you are trying to, I don't know... deny access to a widely-used and popular service???

 

Are you serious?

There were 3 mods affected. If clients are required to use the server's mods, and the server has the mod active, then it affected entire servers.

IDK if any of the 3 were client+server mods. Caves N Cliffs sounds server only. If Playerslist runs on server there's a problem. Forgot the 3rd one.

On 9/13/2026 at 9:37 AM, Juwan Alexander said:

The field of Computer Science is incredibly broad, but the first thing you learn is that coding isn't rocket science as long as you actually read the documentation front to back before you ever start typing.  

Not sure how many people do this? Python is easy to pick up with an interactive tutorial.

My Assembly experience is being thrown into the deep end and looking up unfamiliar instructions in example code. With the first assignment due before the first day of class, docs were a luxury.

For everything else, there's Stackoverflow.

12 hours ago, Sparticus247 said:

I've been part of a local herdshare for the past 11 years. One of the best decisions I've ever done, all the fresh milk and meat I've ever needed. 10/10, would recommend.

Did you figure out bleu cheese without it rotting?

Posted
1 hour ago, Teh Pizza Lady said:

incorrect opinions.

In fairness, it's not the opinions that are the problem. It's the game of telephone that keeps happening with the actual facts, the wild speculation, and the treatment of opinion as hard fact that causes the problems. Well that, and the blatant barbs getting thrown out at whoever is supposed to be on the opposite side of the fence. 

 

2 hours ago, Teh Pizza Lady said:

The fatigue is real.

I think for the most part, the community has probably settled down and quit having as much of a knee-jerk reaction to it all. Or at least, this part of the community, anyway. Of course it could be too that a chunk of them split back off into Reddit and Discord, since it seems like that's where several of them came from to begin with, and are having a different conversation about it, so...idk. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Bumber said:

Caves N Cliffs sounds server only.

It's marked as "Both" on the ModDB, so there's something going on with the client or the mod author didn't know how to mark it as server-side only which is an easy mistake to make and hard to fix if you don't know what you're looking for or how to fix it. Either way it would only trigger the crash on a server, oddly enough, since the code would be loaded on the client, but not actually executed since terrain generation is a server-side task.

 

1 hour ago, Bumber said:

For everything else, there's Stackoverflow.

Your age is showing. SO is falling in popularity primarily because:

  • LLMs ate its core use case. The main reason people went to SO was because they had some error and someone already figured it out. Now GPT, Claude, and CoPilot answer that directly, personalized to the user's exact code without needing to parse someone else's answer pick out the relevant bits or wade through entirely incorrect answers. Traffic and question volume have both dramatically dropped since 2022.
  • SO was already alienating its users before the LLM boom. SO had a long-running history of being hostile towards new developers, questions getting closed as "duplicate" or "not constructive", terse or condescending answers, aggressive downvoting of answers simply because the people running Triage or moderating the threads were tired of seeing the same question only slightly different when the user in question had already parsed the threads and couldn't find the answer to his or her exact problem. This drove users away towards Reddit, Discord servers and other communities long before LLMs existed. LLMs just accelerated the exodus since they were programmed to never judge or be condescending towards the user just for asking a simple question.
1 hour ago, Bumber said:

Forgot the 3rd one.

URL Radio or something like that. It was supposed to pull audio streams and play them via a radio block in-game. Author obfuscated the code and I guess it was to hide API keys or some such thing that never should have entered the code. Hard to say without looking it myself and... honestly... obfuscating only makes it harder to read. It's C#.NET code so ILSpy can and will read it. It's only a matter of time with all three before someone reverse engineers it and makes it better.

Posted
2 hours ago, Bumber said:

There were 3 mods affected. If clients are required to use the server's mods, and the server has the mod active, then it affected entire servers.

Only 2 mods affected. Playerlist was not actually obfuscated enough to trigger ConfigLib. 20.8%, short of the required 22%. Playerlists was obfuscated because it tried to include its own client-side anticheat, so it obfuscated that portion of the code.

1 hour ago, Teh Pizza Lady said:

It's marked as "Both" on the ModDB, so there's something going on with the client or the mod author didn't know how to mark it as server-side only which is an easy mistake to make and hard to fix if you don't know what you're looking for or how to fix it. Either way it would only trigger the crash on a server, oddly enough, since the code would be loaded on the client, but not actually executed since terrain generation is a server-side task.

ConfigLib checks if it's single player or running server-side before any other checks, and immediately stops if either is true. Only affects clients, only in multiplayer.

Posted
5 hours ago, Teh Pizza Lady said:

Well I figured the banter and "dead horse" comments were better than quietly dropping a 🐺 on them and not saying anything at all. Starting an argument is only going to validate their incorrect opinions. Deflecting shows them that it's old news and nobody cares anymore. The fatigue is real. I don't mind this kind of conversation we're having now, but the other just needs to be a stickied cookie man post at this point saying "Here are the facts. Here's the timeline. Please do not start new threads about this topic. Anything contradicting this may be subject to moderation under forum rule #1, which includes Discord discussion guidelines particularly the ban on coordinated disinformation campaigns."

But in lieu of this, the horse is gone and now we're coming up with pizza toppings.

If you're tired of talking about it, there's no law saying you have to keep posting in here. The drama has died down enough to where it's mostly contained to this thread, meaning you're free to take a break from the discussion.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

 

7 hours ago, BoglimZero said:

You people are crazy, man. A little cuckoo for cocoa puffs, you know what I'm sayin? It might do well for some of ya'll to introduce some sort of depressive substances into your central nervous system. Dull those neural floodgates a little bit, ya feel me?

 

I didn't have anything else to add to the conversation, which I understand could be looked upon as some sort of issue, but reading through this thread makes me feel a bit like I'm descending the hallways of some sort of antebellum insane asylum. It's all gonna be okay in the end, friends. 

Well my friend, you need to go through this thread! There is a glint of hope for homemade sourdough cheez-its with aged parmesan recipe! Other than that the thread is poop. Oh, wait there is a possibility of me starting a Patreon or OnlyFans so you guys can give me money.  Not really sure about the OnlyFans though, I saw myself naked in the mirror this morning, and well... 🤮

Edited by Novadegree
  • Haha 1
Posted
49 minutes ago, Novadegree said:

 

Well my friend, you need to go through this thread! There is a glint of hope for homemade sourdough cheez-its with aged parmesan recipe! Other than that the thread is poop. Oh, wait there is a possibility of me starting a Patreon or OnlyFans so you guys can give me money.  Not really sure about the OnlyFans though, I saw myself naked in the mirror this morning, and well... 🤮

Same.

Wait, I'm afraid you read that wrong. What I meant was that I saw myself in the mirror, not you.

Posted (edited)
On 9/15/2026 at 7:14 PM, greed23 said:

Where there's malice, there's criminality. 

Nope. Criminality does not require malice. Negligent homicide is probably top example. And malice is not criminal, either, which is good, because most of the posters on yourr side have presented plenty of evidence of their own malice.

I think you can make a pretty good case Malt was indifferent, possible that he was negligent, but not that he was acting maliciously. If he were, he would have packaged something better than just a crash bomb.

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Just posting here knowing it won't show up and knowing the nature of this conversation is something a company who hires a person that obfuscated their code under the personal belief "it's right" and a lead dev who'd like to make-believe away the fact there were so many false positives because of that hidden code over the span of the year the walls came crashing down on the coder in question. After this happened, even the person who shilled me into this game has no interest in it any further and they were just a client- not a host.

This game will never be on my hardware for lying and covering for something that'd get you fired almost anywhere for the motive behind the choice they made. Running undisclosed code on thousands of PCs only for Tyron to pretend it was less than 100 effected.

Edited by Jack_Black
Extra detail added to be further covered up and directly lied about to suppress and damage control.
Posted
On 9/16/2026 at 8:16 AM, BoglimZero said:

You people are crazy, man. A little cuckoo for cocoa puffs, you know what I'm sayin? It might do well for some of ya'll to introduce some sort of depressive substances into your central nervous system. Dull those neural floodgates a little bit, ya feel me?

 

I didn't have anything else to add to the conversation, which I understand could be looked upon as some sort of issue, but reading through this thread makes me feel a bit like I'm descending the hallways of some sort of antebellum insane asylum. It's all gonna be okay in the end, friends. 

I baked you cookies too. 

Posted

I did the math. I spent approximately ~$455.05 on Vintage Story. I had so much hope for this game.

On 9/3/2026 at 3:41 PM, Cicadas said:

I want to continue to support Vintage Story and have done so by buying several VS keys (approx $330 worth) and distributing them via raffles on my community discord, now I no longer feel comfortable with further supporting VS. I want to see VS succeed and be the best it can, but I don't see that vision right now.

I am disappointed but not surprised. I do not think Tyron's statement and actions are sufficient. I do not think the Vintage Story Dev team comprehend the severity of Maltiez's actions, the Dev team's own inaction (or knowledge of what Maltiez did) or the bigger picture ramifications it presents. I think Anego Studio failed to address and effectively deal with the root of the problem, which was another pay-for-use (and its free-to-use variant) illegal mod being distributed to the community. I think Anego Studio withheld information of malicious code tied to one of their developers and failed to communicate, inform, educate and protect its community.

My trust in Vintage Story and Anego Studio has been significantly damaged as they have decided to keep Maltiez on the development team, to include their code contributions regardless of it being under more scrutiny. This incident and VS's actions onward will be something I strongly consider as I host Vintage Story vanilla and Modded for my community and the mods that are available in ModDB. Mods that run on my own server equipment, equipment that could be running malicious code in ways I have no immediate way of detecting.

A similar incident that reminds me very strongly of what VS is dealing with, is StarSector and how it was handle by their lead Dev, Alexander Mosolov.

Do better Anego Studio, learn from this mistake and do not ever repeat it.

1. What the real problem is, undisclosed malicious code execution distributed by ModDB crafted by a Vintage Story Dev.
2. VS/Anego Studio either deliberately or negligently withheld information about malicious code developed by a dev and deployed by their mods and showed a lack of ethics or judgement.
3. VS/Anego Studio failed to inform the community properly and take effective action.
4. VS/Anego failed to take proper actions dealing with an illegal pay for use mod.
5. A crisis/PR team is insufficient and not a solution, you need to genuinely address the problem of both bad faith and illegal mod makers. You need enforcement, auditing, and curation of modDB and stronger avenues of tackling TOS breaking mods. Otherwise vigilante code through mods is basically rubber stamped as "ok".


Relevant Topics:

-

Should Maltiez's mods be removed from ModDB

Yes. I do agree moving their mods to a custodianship is sufficient however I imagine it will put a strain on the VS Dev team till they find community trusted and reliable modders to take on Maltiez's mods.

Should Maltiez be banned from Vintage Story

Yes, effectively immediately and their development activities, to include their development contract with Anego Studios void. Maltiez should have no further ties now or in the future with Anego Studios.

What should be done about Maltiez' code and development contribution to the VS Dev Team and Vintage Story proper?
I think they should be removed completely and understand this will negative affect the combat update and development time. Scrutiny of the code must be intense, documented and open to audit. Communication after this should be transparent and clear.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Posted
On 9/16/2026 at 8:33 AM, Teh Pizza Lady said:

Excuse me, but I am cocoa for cuckoo puffs. Also Pizza.

Is Pineapple with Ham Pizza acceptable?

  • Cookie time 1
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.