Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

It seems like sleeping just passes time, causing side effects associated with that, such as healing and getting hungry, but maybe it does something more?  It almost seems like that temporary buff of not getting hungry for a while after you eat a meal is somehow extended during sleep?  Am I imagining this?

In other words, it seems like if you eat a big meal right before sleep, you can actually not loose any hunger while you sleep.

  • Like 1
Posted

yess that last part is absolutely true, i do it all the time

sleeping has a side effect of reducing your hunger rate by a lot just because you're standing still and not clicking for 3 seconds, which in turn should reduce how quickly you burn through hunger pause as well, if i'm understanding the wiki correctly
so it would understandably make it feel like it's lasting longer!

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Oh, I was always also wondering about just sitting down and being still helping with hunger.  It doesn't seem to directly, but are you saying that if you do it after eating a meal and have the temporary buff, it also helps that last longer?

Edited by Phillip Susi
  • Like 1
Posted

The "temporary buff" is just a hidden amount of bonus satiety that you get from eating claypot meals or pies.

Hence, if you do something that consumes a lot of satiety quickly (sprinting, regenerating health), it won't last long. If you're sitting still or sleeping, your hunger rate is reduced quite a bit, and so it lasts longer.

So there aren't really any optimization strategies here. You don't "get more out of the temporary buff" by acting in certain ways, because it's not a timed status you have. It's a consumable resource.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted
7 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Hence, if you do something that consumes a lot of satiety quickly (sprinting, regenerating health), it won't last long. If you're sitting still or sleeping, your hunger rate is reduced quite a bit, and so it lasts longe

I'm pretty sure the wiki said that meals give you a fixed time period of time during which you don't loose satiety, and so it is a good idea to do lots of things during that time that normally cost a lot of satiety, like sprinting.  It also seems like if you eat a medium meal and stand around waiting, satiety starts dropping again within maybe an hour or two, but if you sleep for 8.5 hours, you don't loose any.  I guess I'll have to go actually measure the amount you lose standing still for an hour or two vs sleeping in bed, then repeat right after eating a meal.

Posted

So standing around looks like it consumes 29 satiety per hour.  Going to sleep at 20:08 with 1883 and waking up at 05:30 and 736 gives 1147 / 9.5 hrs ( that's funny, the bed says it lets you sleep for 8.5 hours, not 9.5 ), gives 120 per hour.  So... WTF?  Sleeping actually makes you far MORE hungry?  Also I just saw something strange happen again.  After waking up and getting out of bed, the in game time jumps backwards by a few minutes.  I'm sensing bugs.

Looking at the link you gave, it seems to indicate that the bonus satiety only depends on the strongest single ingredient in the meal, and the strongest one you can use is red meat.  So any meal with one red meat in it will give you the maximum hidden bonus.  Meaning that a meal of 4x red meat gives you no more bonus hidden satiety even though it gives the most resoration to the total hunger bar.  This seems to directly contradict what I've read elsewhere on the wiki which stated that the bonus is tied to the total amount of satiety that the meal restores, so 4x red meat should give the most.

If the former is true, then a meat pie and a pot pie will give the same extra bonus.  If the latter is true, then a meat pie should be more.  I'll have to test that carefully now because it has seemed to me that the meat pies have lasted longer.

Also the notion that any single food category bar being frozen freezes the total satiety bar seems to imply that the individual category bars tick down at a constant rate, but I swear that they are non linear.  I haven't had any dairy in several months but that bar is still half full.  They seem tick down faster when they are more full and slower when less so.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Phillip Susi said:

WTF?  Sleeping actually makes you far MORE hungry?

Yep. Or rather, sleeping makes you less... less hungry. Standing around has an extremely small hunger multiplier, specifically set this low in order to protect players going AFK without pausing (such as on multiplayer servers). This has the unfortunate side effect that even sleeping consumes more satiety 😅

Edited by Streetwind
Posted

So after eating a slice of blueberry pie ( 240 each of fruit and grain ), my satiety did not start to drop again for almost 3 hours while standing still.  That's 3 x 29 ~= 85 bonus satiety.  That may be consistent with getting most of the maximum single ingredient.  Next I need to try sprinting a good way after eating a slice of the same pie.  And sleeping after eating the same pie.

Posted

So I think that sleeping consumes satiety faster than standing still, but only the visible satiety -- the hidden satiety is consumed at the same extra slow rate that standing still does when you sleep.  That's why eating before bed seems to be so powerful.

 

Posted

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.  The first time I ate a meal of about 800, so should have only had about 500 hidden bonus.  I messed around for an hour or two before laying down for bed, and when I woke up, I hadn't lost any visible satiety, or even an hour later after poking around the base.  I ate some more before going out for the day and had a small fraction of a meal leftover after topping off.  When I came back in the evening, I finished that little bit off right before bed, and by the time I woke up, I had lost less then 200 satiety.  There is no way I had anywhere close to 800 hidden satiety from that little bit of leftovers before bed.

 

So... EAT BEFORE BED!  It stretches that hidden satiety far more.

  • Mind=blown 1
Posted

I never tested it so I'm not sure but I feel like sleeping increases healing rate aswell, but that might just be a lot of time passing quickly.

I often use the sleeping mechanic to nullify the effects of things like alcohol; slam down a bunch of wine to get your hunger and fruit lvls up and go to bed right after so you don't have to deal with the drunkness.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.