Stairs climbing more smooth please?

heptagonrus

Noticed yesterday (1.5.0.3) - when you are climbing cobblestone stairs, especially long ones, the head bobbing is annoying and the movement is not smooth, it consists from unpleasant jerks.

Same about slabs and wooden ones. 

Could you please consider making it more pleasant?

I guess the new option about player bobbing has nothing to do with my issue. Will check later just in case.

• Like 2

I'm not entirely sure I understand the "head bobbing" part but I actually very much like stairs working the way the do right now - it feels much more like I'm actually walking up stairs instead of just magically "teleporting" up half a block the instant you hit the side of a block like in Minecraft. Do you wish for climbing stairs to be smoother visually with less camera jerking or also faster?

Smoother visually.

When I climb stairs irl I don't experience these movement jerks. Ofc maybe because brain just compensates them, but probably because we have a habit of leg movements which keeps the body moving approximately in one straight line when climbing stairs. 
Hm, now after telling this I remember that different people may climb differently - some use the described approach and some climb each stair "separately", straightening the legs fully on each stair step.

Also now it really feels that the character is bumping each edge on the staircase. And they are sharp :(
[Edit]: ok, it does not feel this way. It feels like the char is doing squats or even pushups each step. Maybe just a bit less up and down amplitude, like half.

I guess I don't care about speed much. Fast is good and a bit cheaty, slow is realistic but may annoy people :)

Sorry that my preference contradicts yours :) Hopefully a nice compromise will be found.

About head bobbing - I have read that in a latest version there is an option to control head bobbing. I haven't tried it yet, but usually such options are about head bobbing when you walk on a surface. So I mentioned it just in case if it actually solves my problem. Not a very smart idea, should have tested it first, but don't have time at home, writing my suggestions at work after weekend's playing VS.

Edited by heptagonrus
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive the topic, but...

Stairs are just awful at the moment. Extremely slow climbing speed makes stairs totally undesirable to use in houses, whether regular ladders look too unrealistic for homesteads.

Even a single 0.5 block stair on a plain road causes player to stumble and forces him to jump instead. I really think that this 0.5 block climbing mechanics needs to be reworked.

Chiselling blocks to be 4, 2, or even 1 voxel high staircases also causes horrendous and nauseating jittering. It would be good if the animation only kicked in at 0.51 block height difference between the current step and the next step. Below that threshold, the animation and "jump" routines don't happen, so it causes a smooth transition between steps if walking between slabs/stairs/chiselled blocks.

On 2/5/2018 at 10:24 AM, heptagonrus said:

Noticed yesterday (1.5.0.3) - when you are climbing cobblestone stairs, especially long ones, the head bobbing is annoying and the movement is not smooth, it consists from unpleasant jerks.

Same about slabs and wooden ones. 

Could you please consider making it more pleasant?

I guess the new option about player bobbing has nothing to do with my issue. Will check later just in case.

The game is a block based game. You cant go stairs smoother.

You can try to use the chisel and try to make stairs which you can

climb a bit smoother 🙂

Edited by MaryBo1968

1 hour ago, MaryBo1968 said:

The game is a block based game. You cant go stairs smoother.

You can try to use the chisel and try to make stairs which you can

climb a bit smoother 🙂

Multiple other voxel and block based games manage this with no problem. Also, chiselling makes the effect even worse.

Isn't the simplest solution just to make stairs have an inaccurate ramped collision box, instead of an accurate one? I feel like this would solve the issue of jitteriness, as well as the speed of climbing stairs, all without needing to modify the collision code, as suggested in the bug bounty program.

Stairs.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LordJameh said:

Isn't the simplest solution just to make stairs have an inaccurate ramped collision box, instead of an accurate one? I feel like this would solve the issue of jitteriness, as well as the speed of climbing stairs, all without needing to modify the collision code, as suggested in the bug bounty program.

Stairs.png

That would work if it were only stairs that were the problem. But, even walking up or down a single voxel causes terrible jittering. If you chisel a block to be a one voxel rise per step, no matter how deep the tread is, you'll still get that nauseating stutter. A lot of the jump mechanics need an overhaul as well; things like stack-jumping are much harder than they should be; jumping out of water is atrocious, and sometimes physically impossible; catching a block mid jump causes you to fall backwards and sink into the block below, which means travelling around hilly terrain can be a real pain. The simplest way to fix the elevation change jitter is to ignore animations when the elevation change is below 0.51 blocks. Anything that doesn't stop movement is classed as the same elevation when moving between blocks.

8 hours ago, LordJameh said:

Isn't the simplest solution just to make stairs have an inaccurate ramped collision box, instead of an accurate one?

As I understand it, the problem is that the game engine fundamentally does not allow anything other than orthogonal collision boxes.   If it were as simple as making an invisible sloped collision box, it would have been done ages ago.  But allowing this would apparently require a deep re-write of engine code.  As I understand it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, redram said:

As I understand it, the problem is that the game engine fundamentally does not allow anything other than orthogonal collision boxes.   If it were as simple as making an invisible sloped collision box, it would have been done ages ago.  But allowing this would apparently require a deep re-write of engine code.  As I understand it.

That makes sense, I can't say I've looked much into the collision logic, but this seemed like the most obvious solution. I can see now why this warrants a changes to the collision code instead.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.