Longitude, Latitude, Altitude.

tony Liberatto

X = Longitude.

Y = Latitude.

Z = Altitude.

Using the good ideas and concepts of Minecraft and Terrafirmacraft is all well, but we should fix their mistakes from the start. This also includes having the Moon and Sun moving in the right direction.

Of course, I am also talking about having the biomes according to the correct Lattitude. So tundras are either all the way south or North and not at the Equator line.

As we have more different kinds of trees added to the game, they could also only grow on their specifically Latitude. Giving the player one more item to travel and trade. Tropical trees do not grow in temperate climates.

Moon and sun going the wrong way is bad enough, but the X,Z coords are just annoying. Sure, I can understand not wanting to change coordinate systems in the engine, but can't the display order be changed?

As for biomes being latitude based, what happens if you keep going north? Does the entire world end up being vast frozen wastes and jungles with a narrow temperate band in the middle?

12 minutes ago, Milo Christiansen said:

As for biomes being latitude based, what happens if you keep going north? Does the entire world end up being vast frozen wastes and jungles with a narrow temperate band in the middle?

In TFC it is.  Depends on whether the devs want to keep that world gen feature or use the old style MC gen of random biomes.

Some day we will need to change to south and north pole. Keeping MC gen with random biomes will not work well with seasons. 

18 minutes ago, WillOfStone said:

I think if you keep going very far north, the climate should start going back to temperate perhaps? Having forever and ever stretching ice lands is not a good solution.

In a server setting, you would keep the map going from the equator to artic, either going one way south or North. It does not really matter.

In single player, once the player is 30,000 blocks from the equator and persists going North or South is his problem if the only thing he sees is Ice. I mean there is no reason to keep going.

19 hours ago, Saraty said:

Some day we will need to change to south and north pole. Keeping MC gen with random biomes will not work well with seasons. 

I think if you keep going very far north, the climate should start going back to temperate perhaps? Having forever and ever stretching ice lands is not a good solution.

That wasn't my quote.  It was Milo's.   ;)

Would it be possible to eventually end up back where you started, simulating a round planet?  Or is endless generation the goal.  I do like the idea of having colder climates in one direction and warmer in another.  I spent weeks generating Minecraft worlds in Amidst to get a continant with ice plains in the north and desert/mesa in the south with jungles and swamps to the east and west.  Something silly about having snow biomes attached to jungles and deserts

• 1 month later...

I independently before reading this made a simple suggestion on GitHub tracker, to display player's orientation by + / - signs somehow, instead/in addition to confusing North/South.

It is not that deep as this thread is, but may be a good temporary workaround without big engine rework.

https://github.com/anegostudios/VintageStory-Issues/issues/49

• 2 weeks later...

Just my 2 cents: btw, that geographical ISO standard wants the first coordinate to be north/south one, lattitude. But the VS/MC worlds are flat, not spherical. So it seems better to use standard mathematical surface coords for them. First coord is left-right, X, second - top-down, Y. On a map X is horizontal and positive X is to the right. Y is vertical, positive at top. N - top, S - bottom, W- left, E-right. This would be the most obvious layout for me.

Also yeah, the sun movement is confusing.

• 1 month later...

Archived