Jump to content

Sprint = double click walk key !


DrEngine
 Share

Recommended Posts

Add standard control of sprint by double click and hold walk key. Today solution with extra shift key for sprint is an ergonomic nightmare !!! It wastes another key. If you have walk+sprint for example W+S it wastes one key and causes handconvulsions when pressing two keys with one finger. If sprint-shift key is key pressed by different finger e.g. thumb, you waste another key and moreover you block your thumb key for another function (typically jump/crouch).

PLEASE Tyron, add it please !!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

please only optional, if at all.

two keys are easier to use in a precise matter.

 

btw. who presses shift with their thumb? (okay mumbo jumbo does, but even he sees that it's unpractical) anyone who needs to type regularly and/or much knows to use the left pinkie for ctrl, shift and caps-lock.

Edited by Hal13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Hal13 said:

please only optional, if at all.

two keys are easier to use in a precise matter.

 

btw. who presses shift with their thumb? (okay mumbo jumbo does, but even he sees that it's unpractical) anyone who needs to type regularly and/or much knows to use the left pinkie for ctrl, shift and caps-lock.

Haha...  First: shift-key doesn't mean it should be real shift key . "Shift" function could be mapped to another key. And second: not everybody uses standard keyboard for gaming. What about gamepad ??? Like Nostromo Speedpad or Razer or others ?

But ok: what real keys do you use for sprint ???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

actually i use the default keys in most games ^_^

And only use a gamepad if the game was made for them (most of the time not even then).

ctrl for sprint and shift for crouch/sneak makes sense for me (in MC and VS) as you can hold it relatively comfortable with your pinkie for a long time, in other games crouch on ctrl is more useful, as you have some stamina mechanic in them or maps are smaller or you need to crouch more often than you need to sprint.

But maybe a toggle option instead of holding the button might be an option? like MC introduced in 1.15

Edited by Hal13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the doubleclick walk key=sprint is the best option. You can easily precise control what to do. But add it as an option to turn it on is obvious (I don't want to spoil another players experience).

Why you don't use gamepad? It's much better then keyboard and some of them are programmable. I use Nostromo n52te. It's much better than keyboard from ergonomic point of view. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nostromo+SpeedPad+n52

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, DrEngine said:

Why you don't use gamepad? It's much better then keyboard and some of them are programmable. I use Nostromo n52te. It's much better than keyboard from ergonomic point of view.

Better than a keyboard... until you need to hold Shift to sprint! 😅

I'm actually a big fan of Shift sprint in Vintage but having more keybinding options is rarely a bad thing, and even when it is, it's only because of poor execution or mismanaged resources. I think the Vintage team would do a great job with it, but I wonder how easy it is to implement for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Wave said:

Better than a keyboard... until you need to hold Shift to sprint! 😅

I'm actually a big fan of Shift sprint in Vintage but having more keybinding options is rarely a bad thing, and even when it is, it's only because of poor execution or mismanaged resources. I think the Vintage team would do a great job with it, but I wonder how easy it is to implement for them.

 Yes, definitely better even with need to hold shift to sprint! No need to be sarcastic!!! I respect your position. Do you respect my opinion ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wrote i use gamepads but meant gamecontrollers (sorry for the confusion), but only when the game is meant to be played with them, which most first person games are not, even when they did try to keep playing via controller in mind.

mouse and keyboard, if set up correctly, are not less ergonomic than most controllers i had tested, but tbh i would never pay nearly €100,- for something that limited in use like that gamepad you linked to.
i use my setup for between 90-120 hours sometimes even more a week and don't get any problems with it.

interestingly afaik, even most games that are meant to be played with controllers seem to not use double tab for sprinting but pressing a second button, oh and there are no games meant to be played with gamepads like the one you linked to, as their marketshare is nearly zero. and with more older people (yes 40+ isn't that old but it's far from what used to be the main market for video games in the 90s) getting into gaming i don't see they will implement such a thing.

 

And you don't respect the position of people playing via keyboard, you only tolerate it, else you wouldn't argue against doing it and trying to evangelize keyboard users.
respect is about accepting the choices other people make without feeling superior to them or the constant urge to get them to change their way.

 

On 12/31/2020 at 5:35 PM, l33tmaan said:

I remember back when gamepads were giant clunky monsters with joysticks and suction cups! 😅

aren't they still giant clunky monstrosities? maybe without suction cups. but other than the old ones which were rather inexpensive, todays can easily cost more than a lowtech pc.

Edited by Hal13
corrected an estimate
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, DrEngine said:

 Yes, definitely better even with need to hold shift to sprint! No need to be sarcastic!!! I respect your position. Do you respect my opinion ?

I do. I do not intend to offend you! All in good fun. Different people have different ways to play games - that's why I believe that having more keybinding options is always a good thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Hal13 said:

And you don't respect the position of people playing via keyboard, you only tolerate it, else you wouldn't argue against doing it and trying to evangelize keyboard users.
respect is about accepting the choices other people make without feeling superior to them or the constant urge to get them to change their way.

 

I definitely respect it. Let everybody use what he wants. No problem for me. I only would like VS team add an option for sprint - doubleclick walk key. I use it in MC for years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Going to necro this thread rather than posting my own.

After a week off work, playing VS a lot and using shift to sprint (toggle sprint option on even), my joints are very upset with me.  Shift sprint works great when I'm not binging a game but even with taking breaks and doing stretches my hand is very sore from all the pinky-ing I'm doing.

I'd like to see the original suggestion of the double-tap run or even an auto-run, like a true togglable sprint.  You press "sprint" one time and are always sprinting until you press "sprint" again.  Traversing blocky terrain and having your "toggled" sprint cut out because you stopped moving, and having to press it again and again is murder on my poor joints.  I would like to see this option with "sneak" too, and then especially when I want to use my mouse cursor, rather than holding Alt the whole time.  Press it once to engage, press it again to disable, just like your Caps Lock button works.

I've considered other keybinds for sprint but I can't find any that are more comfortable and not already spoken for by other commands... My hand hurts but I must VS.

EDIT: corrected typo

Edited by Setimu
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be in favor of having the option in settings to turn on a setting that allows for the pressing of a key to toggle sprint or sneak on and off.  Not a fan of the idea of double tapping the walk key in order to run. Some situations call for a much greater control over the sprint mechanic.

I've also often thought that an auto walk function would be fantastic. Maybe double tap the walk key to activate the auto walk mode. 
I'd give a hearty thank you to the devs for that one.

~TH~

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.