More prominent Temporal Storm warning?

Bastez

Can the warning of an upcoming storm be made clearer somehow? I'm a new player and just survived my first storm. I was some way from home with half a spear left after hunting when I was caught with my pants down by the 'imminent' message. I must have missed the first warning, maybe it came while I was fighting a chicken or something :D . I'm trying to play permadeath. I'm about 13 hours in and was relying on that first warning. I could cope with having only one warning if it was prominent enough, I'd just go equipped with the necessaries (blocks for hiding/a bed and food) at all times :D

• Like 2
  • Wolf Bait 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see a thaumcraft style research system. Thaumcraft could have been it's own game it added so much to minecraft. Anyway, what i mean is that after you research temporal gears you can make a temporal weather vain that will start spinning when a storm is coming. Maybe if a storm is bad enough the weather vain will need to be repaired or cleaned? 

1 hour ago, AngryRob said:

I would like to see a thaumcraft style research system. Thaumcraft could have been it's own game it added so much to minecraft. Anyway, what i mean is that after you research temporal gears you can make a temporal weather vain that will start spinning when a storm is coming. Maybe if a storm is bad enough the weather vain will need to be repaired or cleaned? 

Yeah. But missing the warning when I'm a long way from home is my main concern!

On 1/6/2021 at 4:10 PM, l33tmaan said:

Most of the fantasy stuff is very bare-bones right now, but I would expect being able to 'see' the storm headed your way is something that will eventually make its way into the game.
Or maybe I'm wrong.

Depends on if the temporal storms are a physical phenomenon or an outer dimensional one. if it's the latter seraphs might only feel it's coming, as they themself are not entirely from that world. If it's the former it could just become part of the weather cycles.

24 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

There should really be some sort of visual and/or auditory build-up to the storm happening either way.

some increasing brown noice maybe? and if it's not a physical storm, having sound that indicates stormy weather while not a single leave moves, could actually be a bit creepy itself, before the surroundings get a sepia hue too and then hell breaks lose.

Edited by Hal13
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Bastez said:

Yeah. But missing the warning when I'm a long way from home is my main concern!

Not if you craft multiples, or even a higher tier portable one. 

Also, maybe mob behavior should change? after all animals freak out when tornados hit, so seeing panicked mobs before a storm, as well as increased drifter aggression and wondering. 

• Like 1

Just had an idea - a simpler mechanic which might require a lot less coding would be to have the large cog in the centre of the HUD gradually change colour. Maybe it could rotate and drain as now when near a bad place but rotate and change colour (but not drain) when a storm is coming. Or something like that....

On 1/23/2021 at 3:26 AM, AngryRob said:

Also, maybe mob behavior should change? after all animals freak out when tornados hit, so seeing panicked mobs before a storm, as well as increased drifter aggression and wondering. 

but if the negative temporal phenomenons (storms/monsters) stay something only seraphs experience animals shouldn't be fazed at all.

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2021 at 2:26 AM, AngryRob said:

Ohh, I like this idea. There could also be other visible or audible signs as well - static cracking in the air where there's nothing visible, or flickering screen in and out of the red world when it's immanent.  

Until they add something into the game environment itself to keep a warning of an impending temporal storm, you may want to consider adding this client side mod:

Gives you the date, time, and temperature (all of which can already be pulled up via commands, but this puts it nicely on your screen at all times for you), and when a temporal storm is approaching it gives an option to have another box show in the upper left with a countdown to when it will begin.  A very handy client side tool to have installed.

But, just saw where several others have mentioned the mod I linked to, but you said you prefer not to use mods.

I am the same, honestly. I don't like to use mods that alter the core game. All the info that this mod gives you on your screen though is already available if you know how to pull it up manually, so I don't mind using this one to make it easier to see the info.  It does not alter the game in any other way than displaying the info in the upper left corner at all times, and can be customized if you don't want to see al the info available.

• Like 1

I would think for the realism aspect a piece of equipment and or block Clock's for a normal Day's time and a Temporal Clock that act's more like a count down to next event with a second hand that can give an idea of how severe it could be read more accurately as it approaches said Storm Event.

what about animal-signs? animals have mostly a seventh sense - okay, not so fine if important animals do flee, but vintage story could add also Birds. And lot of birds could flee into one direction (some hours before temporal or heavy other storm will come).

Edited by RobinHood

9 hours ago, RobinHood said:

what about animal-signs? animals have mostly a seventh sense - okay, not so fine if important animals do flee, but vintage story could add also Birds. And lot of birds could flee into one direction (some hours before temporal or heavy other storm will come).

I think that's one idea that some of us would like to see. I know that birds are something that's being considered for later in the game development. While a lot of people like the HUD option, I'm more interested in having something be very immersive, and a low-tech world with a high-tech timer in the corner of the screen somewhere would feel a little jarring to me, personally, but to each their own.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RobinHood said:

there are a few problems with it though, depending on further development (i'd love to see some official clarification on these):

1. temporal phenomena seem to not interfere with animals, monster don't attack them, nor get attacked, the storm only spawns around seraphs (player characters) and only spawns monsters around them too, monsters that pose no threat to animals
animals flee areas not because there'll be a catastrophe, but because they will be in danger if they don't flee
if they are able to register the presence of monsters/temp storms than they should react to them or i have to assume they pose no threat and therefore should not cause them to flee

2. the storms have no direction, they form around seraphs and their position stays static, they are no weather phenomena therefore animals would just flee from the area around seraphs, which means you would encounter less animals the closer the storm, you possibly wouldn't even see birds fly away

2 hours ago, Shaelin said:

I think that's one idea that some of us would like to see. I know that birds are something that's being considered for later in the game development. While a lot of people like the HUD option, I'm more interested in having something be very immersive, and a low-tech world with a high-tech timer in the corner of the screen somewhere would feel a little jarring to me, personally, but to each their own.

the hud might just be the representation of the innate ability of seraphs to sense time and its flow, same as the health- and hungerbar representing knowing how hurt or hungry they are. there might be more interesting ways to implement such a sense though instead of a timer, maybe a signette browning out the screen edges the closer a storm is from happening?

Edited by Hal13
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.