Burning wood...

KoiThorn

Yeah, the firepit is currently not in a good place. You can exploit its mechanics to get a large amount of items processed in a relatively short time for very little fuel input, but the process is extremely boring because you need to stand there and babysit it. Alternatively, you can just let it do its thing and walk away, but it will take a long time and gobble up large amounts of fuel. Neither option is good.

The dev team is aware, but reworking this is not currently a priority because the community desired more crops and animal husbandry instead. I keep my fingers crossed for a future update.

As a temporary fix until firepits are rebalanced, it's very easy to adjust the burn time/heat values for materials in the asset files. Just open the file for firewood and adjust them as you like. I always increase burn time by a factor of three or four. I also modify the recipe file for firewood and have each log give 16 instead of 4. makes no sense to me that a log that takes up a whole block would only give you four little sticks when you chop it up. Makes charcoal production a lot less tedious as well.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 5:58 PM, Ari said:

As a temporary fix until firepits are rebalanced, it's very easy to adjust the burn time/heat values for materials in the asset files. Just open the file for firewood and adjust them as you like. I always increase burn time by a factor of three or four. I also modify the recipe file for firewood and have each log give 16 instead of 4. makes no sense to me that a log that takes up a whole block would only give you four little sticks when you chop it up. Makes charcoal production a lot less tedious as well.

but that way you would have a massive gain in burn duration comparing logs and firewood, in my experience logs are nearly impossible to start a fire with but last way longer than if you chopp them into handy firewood. I think i would only do one of these changes, not both (more likely the recipe change for firewood than the change to burn duration).

On 2/4/2021 at 10:58 AM, Ari said:

This is what I've done. Just cuts down on a lot of the grind in the interim, until something official is rolled out.

I love the detail in the game so far, and the depth and immersion that are created by those details.  With regard to the way firewood burns, I feel longer burn times are needed badly, and more split wood per log would be an improvement as well.

I would even enjoy seeing longer burn time and better charcoal returns from various wood types.  Oak burns longer than pine, and some jungle woods are extremely dense and burn even longer and hotter and might make better/more charcoal as well.

This could lead into an overall expansion of characteristics for different trees and wood types in general, but I will refrain from making those suggestions here.

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.