Simple stick-door for beginning

AlphaRay

In the first "weeks" of the game you have to close your house with dirt... there is only one door available for which you need a saw...

What i you add a very simple door made from e.g. 2 x cattail (at middle left/right) + 7 x Stick...?

Something like this.  Ya need "only" duplicate the actual door and replace the texture  😅

https://wholefedhomestead.com/how-to-build-a-rustic-a-garden-gate/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, junawood said:

You can craft "rough-hewn gates" with an axe, some sticks and logs.

Aah...i see. thx :) But i can't find anything here or in the wiki. Is it new?

The height is one block. Is this stackable - or is the block above "blocked" so creatures can't come in?
My suggestion was here for houses - not an improvised door, but one which can be done from the beginning in full height of two blocks.

Rough hewn fences 1.14 and the gates 1.14.3

https://www.vintagestory.at/forums/topic/3314-stable-steel-age-and-character-customization-v1140

https://www.vintagestory.at/forums/topic/3624-stable-christmas-patch-v1143

1 hour ago, AlphaRay said:

Is this stackable - or is the block above "blocked" so creatures can't come in?

You can place as many as you want, but they don't connect in a way that you could open them all at once with just one click. Like the normal fences and gates, rough hewn fences and gates are "invisibly" a bit higher than one block, so you or other creatures/animals can't just jump on/over them from the same level the fence/gate is placed on.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/5/2022 at 2:39 PM, Anthony frailey said:

haybales also suffice for cellar doors I recently discovered. 

Really? Is that a change or did I screw up the testing? I sealed myself in my lit cellar and looked at crocks whilst replacing the "door" with various blocks. Been a long time, but IIRC, the various soils, stone, cobble, and a few others were best, hay and sand were  significantly worse. I just ended up reimagining "cellars" so I never had to bother with drifters spawning there. Yes, they still end up spawning, but I can access all my storage vessels without getting pelted with rocks. 

I think it has to do with blocking temperature air flow and light levels.  I got significantly worse preservation times, using various stone cobbles , the best is to dig your 7x7x3 , one more than that, 8x8x4 and line with either clay brick, or hardened clay blocks ( takes forever to do.) with a entry way, no matter if door, trapdoor with a hallway that no light from the open door can get into the room, even if you use torches or oil lamps in the cellar itself. 
I found just about -anything- you seal the room with, increases preservation time, even noticeable difference if door is open or closed. 

12 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Really? Is that a change or did I screw up the testing? I sealed myself in my lit cellar and looked at crocks whilst replacing the "door" with various blocks. Been a long time, but IIRC, the various soils, stone, cobble, and a few others were best, hay and sand were  significantly worse. I just ended up reimagining "cellars" so I never had to bother with drifters spawning there. Yes, they still end up spawning, but I can access all my storage vessels without getting pelted with rocks. 

10 hours ago, Anthony frailey said:

I think it has to do with blocking temperature air flow and light levels.  I got significantly worse preservation times, using various stone cobbles , the best is to dig your 7x7x3 , one more than that, 8x8x4 and line with either clay brick, or hardened clay blocks ( takes forever to do.) with a entry way, no matter if door, trapdoor with a hallway that no light from the open door can get into the room, even if you use torches or oil lamps in the cellar itself. 
I found just about -anything- you seal the room with, increases preservation time, even noticeable difference if door is open or closed. 

For both of these things the reason is the same: It only counts as a cellar and not a cave if more than 50% of the walls floor and ceiling are not made of raw stone, cobblestone.or dirt.
The simple and easy way to check, is while you are hearing the surface music enter the cellar. If it stops, or it starts playing cave music then you do not have a cellar but a cave.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.