Ok thia game is hard.

Alex Millar

So on my first attempt I spawned in a forest and got eaten by wolves. On my second attempt I spawned in another forest then ran out of daylight whilst trying to forage for the basics and managed to build a wall as the sun set that failed to keep out wave after wave of beasties. So Third time is the charm as they say

• Wolf Bait 1
  • Haha 1

Each time you play, you learn something new - about how to do certain things faster, or what's important do do first. Or even new recipes.

For example, did you know there's an improvised armor piece you can craft with starter resources? Perhaps you can find it in the handbook... ;)

It's more like I have to actually try to get things done in this game, unlike Minecraft where there's no real challenge or urgency whatsoever until you get to the Nether. The first week in VS is completely different from the first week in MC, and it's great.

May the Vintarian gods protect you, sweet summer child. LOL

All joking aside, it does get easier once you've got your base established. I tend to play with my 6 year old helping with the controls, because I'm a masochist, I guess. But, if we can manage it, you'll get through it eventually. A couple of big life savers that people take for granted that newbies don't realise:

if you hold down the shift/crouch key, you can quickly put away/take out items from containers or dead animals. Also, pressing escape will close all the open windows so that you can run quickly if there's trouble.

And don't underestimate the power of lighting up the area. 'start' a 'fire', craft some torches and become safer for the night surrounded by walls... Or sleep through it I guess, I mean even small children get it, if you can't see a monster it can't see you... ^_^

yes, VS may look hard. But it's a challenge and finally as soon as you step over basic survival tasks you'll take more control and game starts to be fun.

I remember my first days I was threatened to death. Now after few months of playing I have got big beautiful house, 120 chests full of sources, about 40 repaired translocators and one of my biggest joy is hunting wolves during night.

Simply keep going and you'll be fine...

Edited by DrEngine

Game isn't that hard once you know basics. I would say it lacks tutorial.

Have tried to get my wife or kids into this game and they don't want to play, because many things aren't  obvious for them. Many mistakes at start could lead to you death. And because getting gear (to set your spawn) at start is hard, loosing all progress isn't fun. Also i am usually playing in multiplayer server. Seeing new players joined i feel bad for them sometimes and try to help. And it seems strange that i have to explain them simple things like fire making or building first dirt base. I like how another game  - Cryofall - has done explaining basics. You start and have some simple achievments to do till you are ready to play without guidance. Like -  make fireplace, torch, stone tools. That way it forces you to read and do the right things at first. Maybe just additional gamemode called tutorial made in creative world. Once you know these things game becomes more enjoyable, so i don't think that simple tutorial would be spoiler for the game itself.

Edited by Domkrats
  • Amazing! 1

Hi, I buyed VINTAGE STORY two days ago, yes its very hard to survive.

Last hours I was killed by goat 2-3 times, until I killed him. I knew, they are agressive after attack. But I didn't have attacked the goat, so I dont know why he killed me, I just was collecting some sticks and Beeries.

my Map is very hard also, I found in over two "months may/june 1386 onie piece cooper", I'm surrounded by high montains and sea. Only westwards there are also mountains, but flat highlands too - I was killed during the journey there :( - there are a lot of goats, but now I have fear. My first seed, after buying ths game was bit more easy, find first day muche more copper.

Should I make primitive-Bow? Is that better than Spear?

BTW. I love that game, its much harder than MineCraft survival, friends like Dogs and Horse, Cats sweet, but no need :D - hope to see some villages here one a day. 

Edited by RobinHood

13 hours ago, RobinHood said:

Should I make primitive-Bow? Is that better than Spear?

Flint arrows are useless. Better make many spears. Pillar near sheep on 2 blocks of ground and then attack them using SHIFT key and clicking. They will try to get you but they wont be able to. Other way is to simply stand near water or run straight to it after hitting sheep or encountering wolf. Going/swimming backwards while in water you will still be faster than them yet you will be able still to attack them using spear meelee function. :)

About copper. You can still get it by panning sand/gravel too. Just make safe dirt building with torches above some water source you could stand in. In early game during nights you are in danger, so there isn't anything much to do in the night anyway. :) Sleeping isn't solution, as then you waste time and only make you hungry again. :) 

P.S. BTW sheep probably attacked you just because it fell from mountain or falling dirt. That way it feels like it is being attacked and then attacks first threat it can see. :)

Edited by Domkrats
  • Like 1

Spears. Use spears. Arrows are basically for low-power prey like rabbits, though they are stackable, they don't hit hard.

As for that copper, I recommend you make a pan and do some panning, rather than trekking all over the place trying to find surface deposits.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 8:28 AM, Domkrats said:

Seeing new players joined i feel bad for them sometimes and try to help. And it seems strange that i have to explain them simple things like fire making or building first dirt base.

That happens all the time in Minecraft too, people just got pampered by big titles which even explain walking with an extra tutorial and expect that kinda thing in every game, even when they don't even bother trying it out in single player first.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

Minecraft has a tutorial now...?

it actually has, i think it starts with punch a tree...

EDIT: small Correction it starts with:

grafik.png.9b4ffd38fa6bebe8792dcfba86af5c61.png

followed by: grafik.png.2a36de4e9d9e0ff70cd152e06d54da22.png

and then grafik.png.97eab97df67b8e0bcea2aee758a16229.png

I was sure at some point it was Punch the tree not Destroy the tree...

Edited by Hal13
  • Haha 1

Good idea, even in a hard winter I stand in the water and made panning (even with worst clothes). But it is important to have a save place with camp-fire in the near, for upwarming ;) ...

Btw. I love the winter, beacuse in the snow I found lot lot lot of seeds, much more than in the summer, because green is green, but Parsnips, carrots, flax and rye stand out as green dots in the snow. In the whole summer I found zero Parsnips, but during hunting I earned 18 Parsnips and 12 seeds in two wonderful winterdays ;) only by the way (my mainjob in these 2 days were sheep hunting).

2021-03-23_20-15-27.png

Edited by RobinHood

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.