Let trees drop their blocks in line

heptagonrus

in 1.5.2.6 was that bug when RNG on server kinda stopped working and many strange things happened.

One thing was kinda nice: when tree or ladder "pole" was fallen, it's items dropped not in a random pattern, but in a line, kinda reminding of domino pieces or cards shuffling.

It had some sense, because irl a tree falls in one direction. And it was very pretty visually, in motion. Maybe introduce it as a feature?

A screenshot of the result of this is the first one in ticket https://github.com/anegostudios/VintageStory-Issues/issues/63

There's a Minecraft mod which causes the connected log and leaves to drop as block entities after chopping down the bottom log, sort of in a line in the direction you were looking as chopping it down. You had to break the fallen logs again, but it was quite fun and made a bit of a mess which you had to clear up and was more immersive than Vanilla floating trees or even tree capitator (which is sort of what we have now).

Here's two mods that do this:
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/timberjack
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/chop-down-updated

I thought this was interesting enough and related to bring up. It does make sense to have a tree fall over when you break the base, and having to break the tree trunk into pieces first.

@Stroam I had an idea of how to do amazingly immersive trees and it seems like this Minecraft mod Dynamic Trees has beat me to it, likely implementing things in a way I would've liked to do it myself. On top of in general feeling a bit burned out, I put it aside because I was not sure how to handle trees that were more than a single block in girth. Other than that, I might be interested in contacting the author to see if they were alright with me adopting the mod for Vintage Story, and possibly indirectly stealing some code.

I think the difficulty in these types of tree falling mechanics is the block that standing trees are made from are exactly the same block as the placeable block.  So now you need complicated logic or a "tree registry" to determine "is this wood block part of a real tree" or does it just look like a tree. 

A simpler approach would be to use a different registered block when a tree is grown versus the blocks that are dropped.   There would be no other way a this alternative block could exist in the world so you know its definitely a tree and not part of my house.

This would also solve the giant oak leaving wood blocks in the sky.  Or the unchoppable small acacia that grows crooked and the algorithm looks for a certain shape. 

The algorithm could look for any connected blocks of the alternative "log" type.

Currently every time a person creates a new variant of a tree, like the 3x3 or a weeping willow with huge branches that grow in an arc, the current tree cutting algorithm will need to be adapted to accommodate new and interesting structures.

@Elwood As for the dynamic tree idea, my implementation would allow you to know exactly which blocks are part of the same tree. I assume the Minecraft mod does it similarly. I believe there's already a free bit for blocks, which can store whether a block has been placed by a player or not. Additionally, I'd personally not drop the same blocks the tree is made out of when cut down, instead just giving you either lumber and sticks.

@Elwood , This is exactly the way Bioxx did in TFC. with 2 different blocks Ids, even though they share the same Texture.

@copygirl, hope you not talking about having the tree drop different blocks than the ones it is made of. That would just make players frustrated for not having the beautiful logs for cabin construction and or support beams. Wood Blocks should be obtained by using a saw.

@tony Liberatto The issue with the dynamic tree idea is that a single tree could be made out of 8 different sizes of trunks or branches. If bigger than a single block in width, that becomes even more! As the game is currently balanced, it would be quite annoying, having to carry all of them in separate slots in your inventory. Especially if your intention is just to get firewood or make generic planks.

Another solution could be to require a saw if you want the specific size of log or branch for building. If you saw off a block, you get that exact block, and any connected, smaller branches will drop the same way as if you had used an axe. That way, you'll have to cut down a tree piece by piece to get the specific parts?

Humm, I see what you mean, but I see different things.

"Very Excited" You mean I could just chop down a tree and have 8 different trunk and/or branch sizes to play with while constructing my log cabin? That is amazing. Please gimme, gimme.

We do have a problem with inventory. We need to find different solutions for how we manage inventory in the game. But let's not limit our imagination and how we implement things in the game because of that. This would only be one more reason to tackle the inventory issue.

I, as I believe many others, would love to have a natural, immersive way to have wood logs with different sizes and shapes, without the need to saw or chisel them. It would give access to those blocks to players in the Stone Age. It would also open the doors to more specific recipes.

For example:

1.  Building fences with only one of these 8 sizes.
  2. A specific size to be worked on to make different tools
  3. Another to work in an Archers Bow. 

On 4/11/2018 at 5:02 AM, Elwood said:

I think the difficulty in these types of tree falling mechanics is the block that standing trees are made from are exactly the same block as the placeable block. 

No, in vintage story they already differ. There are grown and placed variants of logs

Archived