Lands of Chaos (Alpha Testing)

jakecool19

1 hour ago, jakecool19 said:

Released a patch that will disable gases for the time being as they cause a lot of lag and will be completely overhauled when I have the time.

Darn. Saw a post had been made on the mod and was hoping you'd gotten around to that. ;)
Already disabled on our server, after your comment that gasses were causing problems after I reported on my lag issues.

Since turning off gasses, I have not seen any lag/freezing issues on any game I've ran the mod on.
Looking forward to being able to turn them on though. 😁

A suggestion for a future release- Is there a possible way to add a config option that would allow you to configure how quickly a player runs out of air?  I always looked forward to breathing/oxygen mechanics being brought to the game, but also I was sort of enamored with the idea that a seraf was a  being that could swim under water and hold breath for a long period of time, along with being super strong and other characteristics.  

The way the mod works now, exploring under mountain lakes and the deep abyss some lakes afford is off limits.

Hello again!

Had a thought to share, based on feedback I've seen from my server now that the mod has been live on it for a while.
For the most part the mod has been well received. Folks are loving the big caves and are doing a lot of exploring down there in the depths.

Some are not too keen on the cave in mechanics, even though I have them tuned WAY down from the mod default settings, but I sort of expected not everyone would like it. It requires a lot more care when cutting on stone, and you have to think about how you are going to set up and continue a proper mine shaft you can support if you want to mine safely.  I knew it would hit on some nerves, but it is a perfect fit for the feel I'm building into the server.

The one complaint I am hearing though that I think needs to be shared here is with regard to the look of compromised stone. 

If one wants to build anything underground at all, then all the stone basically needs to be mined out and replaced with building blocks in order to keep it looking nice and clean.  Building anything underground of any significant size has a whole set of new challenges, made irritating to some due to the look of compromised stone everywhere.  Personally I'm find with carving out all the stone and replacing with building blocks to get it looking the way I want, but not everyone has the same build styles or tastes for such things, and on a multiplayer server it is an issue for some.

One suggestion was that the stone does not crack, but merely makes sounds when surrounding blocks are compromised, sort of like the way the mod was in the beginning, as I recall- pretty sure surrounding blocks did not crack and fissure, but you could hear the sound of stone and gravel falling whenever blocks became compromised. 

As a fix= Allow cracks in compromised stone to fade over the course of a few game days? That or add a config option that allows for disabling rendering the cracks in compromised stone but keep the sounds of stone and gravel falling whenever a block becomes compromised.

Most on our server are loving everything else so far, and I am personally looking forward to the gasses being fixed so we can turn them on. ;)

~TH~

• 1 month later...

Greetings, @jakecool19!

Just wanted to check in and see how progress was going, and if you had any idea when the mod will be updated next?

We are waiting on and looking forward to seeing gasses added back in. Currently we have them disabled due to their needing work, but disabling them also turned off the new locust types and the snail and other water critter.  Eager to seem them all added back into the world environment, along with having lower world gas issues to deal with and work around or take advantage of down in the mines.

Loving the mod. It has certainly shaped a core part of the Wilderlands server experience.  Looking forward to the full experience once you have it ready to go! ;)

~TH~

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Thalius said:

Greetings, @jakecool19!

Just wanted to check in and see how progress was going, and if you had any idea when the mod will be updated next?

We are waiting on and looking forward to seeing gasses added back in. Currently we have them disabled due to their needing work, but disabling them also turned off the new locust types and the snail and other water critter.  Eager to seem them all added back into the world environment, along with having lower world gas issues to deal with and work around or take advantage of down in the mines.

Loving the mod. It has certainly shaped a core part of the Wilderlands server experience.  Looking forward to the full experience once you have it ready to go! ;)

~TH~

Well if it is gases you are looking forward to, then I have some really good news for you! The gas system overhaul is complete, and the Gas System 2.0 is functional. It is going to have some major improvements over the old one, due to using chunk save data instead of blocks.

Gas System 2.0

Spoiler
  • Gas Diffusion In Non Air Blocks: Since gases will no longer be in game blocks, they can spread throughout and be inside any block. When spreading gases will check to see block sidesolid to see if it can diffuse to another block. Likewise gases in non liquid blocks will tend to stay out of liquids, and gases in liquids will tend to stay dissolved in liquids. So in other words, a cheap exploit like placing a door to breathe underwater, will not work at all.
  • Multiple Gases Per Block: Multiple gases can be inside the same block making for more dynamic air quality
  • Gas Percentages: Instead of the 0-8 concentration system, gases will now have 0%-100%, for more accuracy. Note: This is for individual concentration not the atmosphere as a whole. So you can have multiple gases be at 100% in the same block.
  • New Gas Diffusion Type - Equal: Alongside the Light gases, which pool to the ceiling and Heavy gases that collect on the ground, there will now be a third distribution type, Equal. Equal gases that are near same density as the air, will spread evenly throughout a space, regardless of gravity. Currently carbon monoxide is the only equal gas, which along with its suffocating properties will make it much more deadly in confined spaces.
  • New Gas Property - Acidity: Acidic gases (Nitrogen Dioxide and Sulfur Dioxide) when in water can have nasty effects on entities. Water with a moderate concentration of these gases will actively damage player armor as they are in it. At high concentrations, it will damage entities.
  • Gas Simulation Thread: Gas spreading simulation is now handled off the main thread for better performance. So even if it does get into an infinite loop somehow, it will not freeze the server.
  • Enhanced Modding Capabilities: Since the gases are not blocks, there is no need to worry about having a whole bunch of question mark blocks in your world, if you are to remove the mod, and if you re-add the mod, the gases will still be there. Likewise, it will not interfere with multiblock structures like the Refractory furnace. Not only those it reduce possible conflicts but it also hopefully lends itself to be modified by other mods. The definitions for gas is in a modifiable json config, and adding a gas that does not have a definition will not break anything, making it possible for someone to create their own gases with just json patches. Likewise, in the code the gas is store in a generic format in the chunk mod data (Dictionary<int, Dictionary<string, float>>) so other code mods could potentially access the gas data, without having to make this mod a hard dependency.
  • Things still in the works: Incorporating gases into world gen, gas mask

image.thumb.png.e29fb1c0be44db9c51ef9d3a39928a4a.png

Another major feature I have been trying to work on is a Cave Biome system for the noise generated caves, to add a bit more fun and adventure to them.

Cave Biomes

Spoiler
  • Generated Blocks: Cave biomes have their own blocks for their floor, and ceiling. Likewise, they have their own hanging blocks, blocks on the floor, and some even have special interior blocks.
  • Three Distinct Zones: I have structured the biomes in a way to resemble the ocean somewhat. Topmost Zone is the Living Zone, Middle is the Dead Zone, and the bottom is the Geological Zone.
  • Living Zone: Zone closest to sea level. There will not be much valuable or dangerous things in this zone. Types of biomes may include things like aquifers, lichen, etc at this zone
  • Dead Zone: Right below the Living Zone and contains lots of dead rotting things, fungi, and extremophilic life. It will be rich with processed organic materials and minerals, like coal and bony soil, but will have much more dangerous creatures, and will contain many flammable, and explosive gases like methane and hydrogen sulfide.
  • Geologic Zone: Near the mantle of the world, this Zone will be rich in minerals and metals, but contain extremely toxic and suffocating gases like nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide, with most creatures being of a mechanical or biomechanical makeup. Types of biomes might include crystal caves/geodes, magma chambers, corrupted etc.
  •  Configurable Json: The biomes are defined in a JSON and can be modified and added
  • Still being worked on: Making actual biomes and deciding where they go, gas system incorporation, efficiency

2021-10-09_15-37-03.thumb.png.eac6a01a9b04cc03c76eb14631513d68.png

For the most part the Gas system is working and has all the features of the original, but still needs a lot of polish, refinements, and testing. The cave biome system while working, significantly hurts world gen performance, and I am struggling to figure out ways to make it more efficient.

• Amazing! 1
  • Mind=blown 1

5 minutes ago, jakecool19 said:
  •  Generated Blocks: Cave biomes have their own blocks for their floor, and ceiling. Likewise, they have their own hanging blocks, blocks on the floor, and some even have special interior blocks.
  • Three Distinct Zones: I have structured the biomes in a way to resemble the ocean somewhat. Topmost Zone is the Living Zone, Middle is the Dead Zone, and the bottom is the Geological Zone.
  • Living Zone: Zone closest to sea level. There will not be much valuable or dangerous things in this zone. Types of biomes may include things like aquifers, lichen, etc at this zone
  • Dead Zone: Right below the Living Zone and contains lots of dead rotting things, fungi, and extremophilic life. It will be rich with processed organic materials and minerals, like coal and bony soil, but will have much more dangerous creatures, and will contain many flammable, and explosive gases like methane and hydrogen sulfide.
  • Geologic Zone: Near the mantle of the world, this Zone will be rich in minerals and metals, but contain extremely toxic and suffocating gases like nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide, with most creatures being of a mechanical or biomechanical makeup. Types of biomes might include crystal caves/geodes, magma chambers, corrupted etc.
  •  Configurable Json: The biomes are defined in a JSON and can be modified and added
  • Still being worked on: Making actual biomes and deciding where they go, gas system incorporation, efficiency

2021-10-09_15-37-03.thumb.png.eac6a01a9b04cc03c76eb14631513d68.png

Edited by l33tmaan
  • Haha 2

Love all of that, and hope you get it working smoothly!! Performance on a multiplayer server is key, as we all know, regardless of how cool it all might be to otherwise play with. 

Excited about the possibility though.  Honestly think that your cave gen system should be part of the core game, even if it is nothing more than it is at the moment.  It has been a fantastic addition to the Wilderlands' world.

42 minutes ago, jakecool19 said:

Cave Biomes

Hide contents

All that bony soil is too much though, honestly.  Way overpowered.  I know it is still in development, so I am assuming that would not be the final product.  Just had to comment on that one impression from the video.

Love the idea of appropriate cave biomes though.  From your post it sounds like you have some other mobs in mind to add, which would be cave-biome specific?

I agree that the massive quantity of bony soil might be a bit OP- but it really does fit in this world- this is a world that died, and even if the surface has recovered, the Death still lurks in the shadows. It almost makes the caves like massive Ruins, in that you can find the mass migration of people from the surface and their animals, and find where they ended up- the dead cavern layer.

2 minutes ago, Travis Pluid said:

I agree that the massive quantity of bony soil might be a bit OP- but it really does fit in this world- this is a world that died, and even if the surface has recovered, the Death still lurks in the shadows. It almost makes the caves like massive Ruins, in that you can find the mass migration of people from the surface and their animals, and find where they ended up- the dead cavern layer.

A rare cavern to stumble across with a layer of bony soil would make sense. Something much larger than the usual handful of blocks you might find in a ruin, but still MUCH smaller than what was shown in the video. The video showed a very large dead cavern area with lots and lots of bony soil that seemed to go on for quite a while- hundreds of blocks worth of bony soil.

When I read the description of the dead cavern layer, I was picturing something with bones scattered around, some new moldy looking layer of dirt that might be rich in nutrients with mushrooms growing here and there in the soil and on the walls and ceilings, and occasional but rare pockets of bony soil in some old underground ruin in the area. Almost like someone tried to settle there when they fled from the surface and tried to do some underground farming or something, but eventually died out as the cavern died around them.

I'm sure whatever Jake comes up with in the end will work fine and be balanced. He does good work.  I just thought I'd offer some thoughts on my initial impression from the video, and that one concern I had.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In zip there two same named dlls. When loading on windows server throwing error "File already exist".
If i delete one file it says "An exception was thrown when trying to load assembly:
System.Exception: declared as code mod, but there are no .dll files that contain at least one ModSystem or has a ModInfo attribute".

UPD 1. Its because deleting one file as all by same name. Rezip mod fixing that.
UPD 2. There exception at "System.Exception: Don't know how to instantiate block of class 'BlockDeepSeaweed' did you forget to register a mapping?"

4 hours ago, Ambulate In Somnis said:

How to disable caves blocks destruction while mining?
Too heavy to get to full blocks with this system.

There is a setting in the mod config file to reduce or increase the radius where cave ins (and compromised blocks that lead to them) can occur,  and an option to disable cave ins altogether.

Edited by Thalius

5 hours ago, Thalius said:

There is a setting in the mod config file to reduce or increase the radius where cave ins (and compromised blocks that lead to them) can occur,  and an option to disable cave ins altogether.

Which one? There are 10 lines.

"CaveInChance": 0.1,
  "CaveInRadius": 5,
  "CaveInDepth": 7,
  "CaveInDepthOffset": 3,
  "CaveInSupportBeamRadius": 5.0,
  "CaveInChainChance": 0.75,
  "CaveInDamage": 0.1,
  "CaveInSideways": true,
  "CaveInSidewaysChance": 0.25,
  "CaveInDust": 1.0,

1 hour ago, Ambulate In Somnis said:

Which one? There are 10 lines.

"CaveInChance": 0.1,
  "CaveInRadius": 5,
  "CaveInDepth": 7,
  "CaveInDepthOffset": 3,
  "CaveInSupportBeamRadius": 5.0,
  "CaveInChainChance": 0.75,
  "CaveInDamage": 0.1,
  "CaveInSideways": true,
  "CaveInSidewaysChance": 0.25,
  "CaveInDust": 1.0,

"NoiseCavesEnabled": true,
  "LocustHordeEnabled": true,
  "CaveInsEnabled": true,
  "GasesEnabled": true,
  "BreathingEnabled": true,
  "BossBattlesEnabled": true,
  "FireLocustEnabled": true,

The ones you listed will adjust the details of how cave-ins occurr, but if you keep going down the list you will see where cave-ins can be completely disabled.

I copied and pasted the lines around which that option is located. 

Change "CaveInsEnabled": true, to "CaveInsEnabled": false, and you won't have to deal with them anymore.

• 1 month later...

Greetings...

Currently having trouble loading a 1.16 world when LoC is loaded. I've confirmed this running only LoC when trying to start a new world on recent releases.  The client starts to load the world, but never completes doing so, it just sits in an endless loop of errors on the world loading screen. So, LoC does not work with current game release. Any word on a pending update for the mod?

Thanks in advance!  Love the caves gen system this mod adds.  On my server we are looking to launch a new world with all the updates that 1.16 brings to world generation. Waiting on this mod to update before we do so, if it is not going to take too long.

Hello,

Similar to Thalius, I've also found issues running this in 1.16. I can load a world perfectly fine, but breaking a rock block and triggering a cave-in causes a divide by zero exception:

System.DivideByZeroException: Attempted to divide by zero.
   at Vintagestory.GameContent.POIRegistry.GetNearestPoi(Vec3d centerPos, Single radius, PoiMatcher matcher)
   at ChaosLands.BlockBehaviorCaveIn.OnBlockBroken(IWorldAccessor world, BlockPos pos, IPlayer byPlayer, EnumHandling& handling)

Here's the full crash log:

https://pastebin.com/cmdcqW6n

Although I've just remembered a cave-in happened once before, so maybe it's a problem with my game...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.