Lands of Chaos (Alpha Testing)

jakecool19

Hello there! This mod is an offshoot from another mod of mine. It is focusing on making improvements to the Vintage Story world through world generation additions and new block and entities. This is currently in alpha so any feedback is appreciated! By default this mod WILL affect world gen with it installed so if you do not want that, simply start up Vintage Story with this mod enabled, and create or load up a creative superflat world. This will generate a config for this mod that you can configure to your liking. On windows it can be found by typing %appdata% in the search bar, opening the folder that pops up and inside there navigating to Roaming/VintagestoryData/ModConfigs/LandsOfChaosConfig. Any text editor will work. Current features are:

World Generation Additions

Spoiler
  • Oceans now generate covering large portions of the world and can be very deep. NOTE: If you do use it I highly recommend you also have Primitive Survival for its raft that will allow for fast water travel.
  • Structures can spawn underwater such as shipwrecks.
  • Large noise-generated caves will generate alongside vanilla cave systems offering more chances for battling mobs and finding loot.
  • Tree size multipliers and vanilla(default) cave size multipliers can be modified in config

New Blocks

Spoiler
  • Locust hordes can be found in caves, and are piles where locust stockpile valuable resources. Seems unguarded but you swear it looks like it is moving on the inside...
  • Kelp and seagrass can be found in aquatic environments. Stuff gets trapped in seagrass all the time so you may find a stick or piece of flint when you break it.

New Entities

Spoiler

Toxic Locust

This machine absorbs sulfur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide in its abdominal cavity to make powerful acids to extract minerals

• 8 hp and attacks deal 2 tier 2 damage
  • Poison effect lasts for 12 seconds and causes +100% armor durability loss, -2 maximum health points, -20% healing effectiveness, and increases incoming damage by 20%
  • Constantly produces Hydrogen Sulfide
  • A normal corrupt locust can turn into if it comes into contact with Nitrogen Dioxide, Sulfur Dioxide, or Carbon Monoxide. Can also spawn in these gases deep underground as well

Flaming Locust

With metallic legs covered in coal dust, this machine is constantly on fire providing light and warmth for the hive

• 8 hp and attacks deal 1 tier 2 damage
  • Its attacks light the player on fire
  • Immune to fire damage
  • A normal corrupt locust can turn into if it comes into prolonged contact with Coal Dust or Hydrogen Sulfide. Can also spawn in these gases deep underground as well

Bomber Locust

Filled to the brim with incredibly volatile hydrogen, this machine sacrifices itself to provide resources and protect the hive

• 8 hp
  • Explodes once in range of target
  • It will explode if it takes fire damage
  • Moves twice as fast as a normal corrupt locust

Snails

Slow-moving, slimy creatures with a hard shell to curl into

• Spawns in seagrass
  • Suffocates and dies on land
  • Will drop its shell when it dies

Starfish

Bottom-dwelling creatures. Look away and you will miss it move

• Spawns in seagrass
  • Suffocates and dies on land
  • Will drop its carcass when it dies

Cave Ins

Spoiler

Cave ins can now occur as the player is mining and caving!

• Unsupported rock has a 10% chance to collapse in a 5x5 area where a player mines
  • Support Poles can be crafted from an axe and 2 logs.
  • Only Support Beams, the horizontal connection, provides support, Support Poles do not offer any structural integrity.
  • Rock and ore will not fall in a 5 block radius around and above the support beam.
  • Support poles need solid ground to be placed and support beams need to be between two poles.

Boss Battle

Spoiler

New ancient Boss Arenas! They spawn roughly 40 blocks below the surface, and are block protected until you kill the boss. So once you go in, there is no coming out until you either kill the boss, or it kills you. Make sure you bring plenty of supplies. The arenas spawn 6000 blocks apart from one another, and there is usually one close to spawn. Currently only one boss

Corrupted Clockmaker

Is it man or machine?

• Has 30 hp
  • Wears a full suit of steel plate armor
  • Wields a steel pickaxe as a weapon
  • Constantly summons high end locusts to fight with it
  • Upon death it drops 1 temporal gear, 16 rusty gears, 16 steel ingots, 1 lore book, and one random item it has on it

Some Info for Other Modders

Spoiler
  • The "armorDurabilityLoss" entity stat will also affect durability loss of the shield

Special thanks to @Novocain for his code on the air bar and @goxmeor's amazing status support system!

https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/847

Disclaimer: Please post any bug reports, suggestions, and feedback on the forum page of this mod. Anywhere else, such as Discord, will be ignored!

Edited by jakecool19
  • Like 2
  • Cookie time 1
  • Amazing! 2
  • Mind=blown 3

Greetings!
I've been playing around a bit with the mod, (pretty sure I was the first download ;) ), and I have to say I'm very excited about the direction you are going in with this!

Various mine-gas issues, configurable chance for mine cave-ins, mining support structures, a new variety of locust entities related to the added underground environmental elements, BREATHING, configurable tree gen sizes, a boss entity... all great stuff that I've hoped will find it's way to being part of the core game in the future!

Really love the new dynamic it brings to working and exploring underground.  I think it would pair well with the way I'm re-envisioning drifters in a mod I'm working on that makes drifters more of a full-world entity (with most drifter types showing up both above and below ground), with drifters over-all being a bit less common but more challenging and higher tier drifters serving more as very rare boss-type entities that could show up anywhere there is a complete lack of light.  The changes leave the underworld feeling a little less special, but this mod certainly adds a lot to deepen that part of the game.

I still have to play with the new locusts and gas issues. Looking forward to checking those things out tomorrow or this weekend. I can't comment on those specifically yet, but I did see two other things right off that I thought odd and worth mentioning.

First-
If there is any way to ensure that a player spawns over land at world gen, that would be helpful.
In the first few games I've started with the mod, I spawned in the middle of the ocean every time, and ultimately used teleport to jump around to find land. I jumped 10k in every direction from spawn in one world, and landed in one corner of that grid on the edge of land.  Oceans are HUGE, and I'd have been swimming for at least half an hour or more to get to that land mass if I'd even known which direction it was in the first place.  When we get decent boats and ships that allow us to travel faster and live on water, the oceans this mod adds will be sweet to have!  At the moment though, their size is daunting, even with a raft from Primitive Survival mod to use on them. For now, I have them disabled.

The second thing-
Could you add a config option for allowing or disallowing sea grass and the new kelp to spawn in the world?  Adding mods to a multiplayer server is something I consider carefully and really don't want to do if the mod adds a lot of new blocks to the game world, in case the mods ever have to be removed. I want to consider using this mod on the Wilderlands server, but it adds a lot of mod-dependent blocks (sea grass and kelp) to most bodies of water. Water physics don't yet fill in the voids the missing blocks would cause if the mod had to be removed for some reason, and we'd have a mess. Another option might be if there is a way to have those blocks revert to existing vanilla sea-plant blocks if the mod is ever disabled or removed.  Not even sure if or how that could be done, but it was a thought.

Those were my only two concerns after playing with the mod content for a bit.  Main concern is the large number of new blocks the mod adds to the world's water bodies. Certainly will use this in my single player games, but on the fence at the moment as to whether I can use it on my online server.

Everything else looks fantastic so far!

Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here! ;)

~TH~

9 hours ago, Thalius said:

The second thing-
Could you add a config option for allowing or disallowing sea grass and the new kelp to spawn in the world?  Adding mods to a multiplayer server is something I consider carefully and really don't want to do if the mod adds a lot of new blocks to the game world, in case the mods ever have to be removed. I want to consider using this mod on the Wilderlands server, but it adds a lot of mod-dependent blocks (sea grass and kelp) to most bodies of water. Water physics don't yet fill in the voids the missing blocks would cause if the mod had to be removed for some reason, and we'd have a mess. Another option might be if there is a way to have those blocks revert to existing vanilla sea-plant blocks if the mod is ever disabled or removed.  Not even sure if or how that could be done, but it was a thought.

Already in the Modconfig! 

"SnailEnabled": true,
  "StarfishEnabled": true,
  "SeagrassEnabled": true,
  "KelpEnabled": true

• Like 1

I am encountering a problem with respawning after death when this mod is enabled.

Upon dying I select respawn but nothing happens. The respawn button looks as though I pressed it, but the game just sits there.  The game is not frozen. The respawn button simply does not seem to work. I have to select Rage Quit, and when the game closes out and returns to the client screen, I have to disable the mod, load the game back up, select respawn (which works as normal at that point), close the game back out after respawning, and then turn the mod back on and then log back into the game world to keep playing with the mod settings.

I've tested this nearly a dozen times with the same results.  The issue seems pretty clearly tied to the mod somehow.

Running the latest VS unstable release version.

This is adjacent to it though, and looks great! I imagine these are the new "noise generated" cave systems the mod adds. One thing that came to mind exploring them is to suggest finding a way to greatly reduce the amount of water sources that spawn in them. The noise is very irritating and you can't get away from it.  Either need less running water sources underground, or find some better running water noise mechanics.  I'd suggest very, very few water blocks being allowed to spawn underground over-all.  Rare underground pools and lakes would be better than running water blocks all over the place.

2021-07-09_13-55-39.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thalius said:

Greetings once again, @jakecool19...
Been doing some exploring in creative mode and came across this, which I do not think is generating as intended:

2021-07-09_13-51-43.png

2021-07-09_13-52-10.png

2021-07-09_13-52-17.png

2021-07-09_13-53-04.png

Hello Thalius, thanks so much for testing the mod. Could you provide me the seed for the world, also did you alter any of the settings for default caves? Setting default cave sizes too high will cause something like this. Also I can reduce the frequency of those waterfalls no problem, although the spawn issue is a tough one to fix since the vanilla spawn mechanics do not seek out a safe spawn and the spawn mechanics are in the non open part of the code, but I could see about having some type of boat or artificial island so that it is somewhat safer for the player. As for the respawn glitch I will have to look into that.

26 minutes ago, jakecool19 said:

Hello Thalius, thanks so much for testing the mod. Could you provide me the seed for the world, also did you alter any of the settings for default caves? Setting default cave sizes too high will cause something like this. Also I can reduce the frequency of those waterfalls no problem, although the spawn issue is a tough one to fix since the vanilla spawn mechanics do not seek out a safe spawn and the spawn mechanics are in the non open part of the code, but I could see about having some type of boat or artificial island so that it is somewhat safer for the player. As for the respawn glitch I will have to look into that.

I did alter a few of the settings, but not by much. At least, it did not seem like much to me. Here is a copy of the settings I'm using:

Spoiler

{
  "DefaultCavesEnabled": true,
  "DefaultCavesBigNearLava": true,
  "DefaultCavesExtraBranchy": true,
  "DefaultCavesTunnelWidth": 2,
  "DefaultCavesTunnelHeight": 1.2,
  "DefaultCavesShaftWidth": 1.5,
  "DefaultCavesShaftHeight": 1.5,
  "TreeSizeMult": 1.25,
  "TreeVineMult": 1.0,
  "TreeSpecialLogMult": 1.0,
  "CaveInChance": 0.05,
  "CaveInRadius": 5,
  "CaveInDepth": 7,
  "CaveInDepthOffset": 3,
  "CaveInSupportBeamRadius": 5.0,
  "CaveInDamage": 3.0,
  "CaveInSideways": true,
  "CaveInSidewaysChance": 0.01,
  "CaveInDust": 0.1,
  "GasPlantAbsorptionRadius": 2,
  "GasPlantAbsorptionMinLightLevel": 13,
  "GasExplosions": true,
  "GasPickaxeExplosion": 0.1,
  "GasMaxPullAmount": 5,
  "SeasEnabled": false,
  "NoiseCavesEnabled": true,
  "LocustHordeEnabled": true,
  "CaveInsEnabled": true,
  "GasesEnabled": true,
  "BreathingEnabled": true,
  "BossBattlesEnabled": true,
  "FireLocustEnabled": true,
  "ToxicLocustEnabled": true,
  "BombLocustEnabled": true,
  "SeagrassEnabled": false,
  "KelpEnabled": false
}

As for the seed, I deleted the world. It lagged so bad after a number of chunks loaded in that manner that it became unplayable. I started up another world and found the same terrain gen feature with the same lag shortly occurring, but thought it was tied to the noisecaves feature. I closed the game and turned the noisecave setting off and logged back in, but saw no change. Makes sense then, if it is tied to changes in the default cave gen settings.  I did not think I was increasing them by much though- just making them wider and a tad higher, from the look of the settings I adjusted.

I'll play around with it later and duplicate the problem in a new world, and post screenshots with the seed and coordinates for the location.

Found this one pretty quick. I included a screen shot of the larger map, so you can see the drastic change in world gen over a large area in general along with the bugged cave gen issues.
Close to spawn, as you can see from the mini map/coords in the upper right.
World seed: 1761319223
Standard World settings.
512 world height.

2021-07-09_19-18-34.png

2021-07-09_19-18-37.png

1 hour ago, Thalius said:

I did alter a few of the settings, but not by much. At least, it did not seem like much to me. Here is a copy of the settings I'm using:

Hide contents

{
  "DefaultCavesEnabled": true,
  "DefaultCavesBigNearLava": true,
  "DefaultCavesExtraBranchy": true,
  "DefaultCavesTunnelWidth": 2,
  "DefaultCavesTunnelHeight": 1.2,
  "DefaultCavesShaftWidth": 1.5,
  "DefaultCavesShaftHeight": 1.5,
  "TreeSizeMult": 1.25,
  "TreeVineMult": 1.0,
  "TreeSpecialLogMult": 1.0,
  "CaveInChance": 0.05,
  "CaveInRadius": 5,
  "CaveInDepth": 7,
  "CaveInDepthOffset": 3,
  "CaveInSupportBeamRadius": 5.0,
  "CaveInDamage": 3.0,
  "CaveInSideways": true,
  "CaveInSidewaysChance": 0.01,
  "CaveInDust": 0.1,
  "GasPlantAbsorptionRadius": 2,
  "GasPlantAbsorptionMinLightLevel": 13,
  "GasExplosions": true,
  "GasPickaxeExplosion": 0.1,
  "GasMaxPullAmount": 5,
  "SeasEnabled": false,
  "NoiseCavesEnabled": true,
  "LocustHordeEnabled": true,
  "CaveInsEnabled": true,
  "GasesEnabled": true,
  "BreathingEnabled": true,
  "BossBattlesEnabled": true,
  "FireLocustEnabled": true,
  "ToxicLocustEnabled": true,
  "BombLocustEnabled": true,
  "SeagrassEnabled": false,
  "KelpEnabled": false
}

As for the seed, I deleted the world. It lagged so bad after a number of chunks loaded in that manner that it became unplayable. I started up another world and found the same terrain gen feature with the same lag shortly occurring, but thought it was tied to the noisecaves feature. I closed the game and turned the noisecave setting off and logged back in, but saw no change. Makes sense then, if it is tied to changes in the default cave gen settings.  I did not think I was increasing them by much though- just making them wider and a tad higher, from the look of the settings I adjusted.

I'll play around with it later and duplicate the problem in a new world, and post screenshots with the seed and coordinates for the location.

2 is way too high for cave generation, 1.5 is the max. That is why I created the noise cave generation, the vanilla cave generation uses a lot of trigonometry. It is good for small applications such as narrow curvy and branching tunnels, but in large scales it is prone to extreme crashes and errors, and all that advanced math kills performance. That is why I created the noise cave system for its efficiency and its customizability. If you really want to make them bigger and or change the shape of them, I would encourage you to open the mod and try modifying the chaoslands/worldgen/caveforms.json. It is a bit technical but it will allow you to change the noise caves to however big you want them or change their shape and frequnecy. It works the exact same way as landforms.json, but instead of creating land it creates caves.

https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Modding:WorldGen_Configuration

7 minutes ago, jakecool19 said:

2 is way too high for cave generation, 1.5 is the max. That is why I created the noise cave generation, the vanilla cave generation uses a lot of trigonometry. It is good for small applications such as narrow curvy and branching tunnels, but in large scales it is prone to extreme crashes and errors, and all that advanced math kills performance. That is why I created the noise cave system for its efficiency and its customizability. If you really want to make them bigger and or change the shape of them, I would encourage you to open the mod and try modifying the chaoslands/worldgen/caveforms.json. It is a bit technical but it will allow you to change the noise caves to however big you want them or change their shape and frequnecy. It works the exact same way as landforms.json, but instead of creating land it creates caves.

https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Modding:WorldGen_Configuration

Makes sense, and explains the additional lag and freezing I have been seeing.

I have been running a game with setting at 1.5 since I made the last post, and no unusual lag flying around fast in creative, and no buggy caves.  Seems to be reflecting what you explained.

For those that don't understand how all that works on the technical side, (like me ;) ), it might be worth it to add a comment in the config file explaining that anything higher than 1.5 on default cave settings will result in buggy cave and world generation, and poor performance.  Otherwise someone is going to think: "Cool! I can double the size of my caves!" and punch in a value of 2 or more without thought of the unexpected consequences, then think the mod broke things, (also like I did. :P  ).

If I can help test anything else out, let me know. Love what you are doing with this one, and want to see it working for a long time to come. ;)

• Thanks 1

EDIT: While I'm at it, I'll link my cave ventilation ideas/research that I posted shortly before the split: 

On 7/9/2021 at 7:00 PM, jakecool19 said:

Also I can reduce the frequency of those waterfalls no problem

There is no such thing as too many waterfalls :P . Especially when combined with "lavafalls", yielding the most gorgeous caves in Minecraft.

I'm sure a separate sound fix mod can easily be made.

On that note, since you're making spelunking more dangerous and realistic, making water no so easy to block off with a piece of dirt would really change exploration.

Submerged tunnels sections (siphons) you have to swim through would also be quite amazing. Imagine swimming through one of those to find an ancient gathering site with cave paintings...

Edited by BearWrestler
  • Like 1

I seem to be invulnerable to animals/drifters/locusts atm and I'm not sure which mod is affecting it; I'd thought xskills but seems not.  I still hear the sounds we make when hit while fighting but never lose any health from combat and I'm not sure why. I downloaded this mod because you moved my favorite locust hordes from the useful stuff mod (nearly everything else is disabled atm)  if not this mod maybe a glance at my current mod list might give you an idea which one it could be?  This has only happened on the latest world I created, on the 9th after updating (or regaining) the mods in the list modified on the 9th

modlist.png

*edit* ok it's not the chaos lands mod; I turned it off and made a new world and the invulnerability is still there.

Edited by Lisabet
not this mod

I have been generating multiple new worlds, testing out this mod's cave settings as I fly around and explore in creative mod to load as much of the map as I can to see how performance works.  I have noticed a pretty consistent problem on my system when I have default caves enabled and even slightly modified with settings at 1.1 and more branching enabled.  Lag and freezing in single player is pretty common within 5-10 minutes of having the game loaded, and when I try to save and quit the game it often takes a VERY long time to close down, or just acts stuck in the process, even when trying to force quit.  I've had to open task manager quite a bit and close the game down that way. This has happened whether I've had noisy cave gen enabled or not.  Having default caves on just seems to eat memory and locks things up.

That being said, turning off default caves and just using the noisyCave gen setting has the game humming along just fine, and the caves look fantastic.

The only thing I noticed was that with only the noisy caves on there seem to be very few if any cave openings at the surface. The few I found that seemed to look like cave openings only cut into the side surfaces of mountains, and none went into the ground or very deep at all. I dug straight down into the ground and dropped into a huge cave system and explored it and several others it connected to, but never found a cave tunnel heading to the surface. 

Is this intended with the noise cave gen mechanic? 

One more thing. ;)

After posting the last comment, it occurred to me that I'd not tried turning off the cavesExtraBranchy setting. 

I loaded a new world with default cave width back at 1.3 and all other default settings at 1.1, and the extra branchy setting turned off. (NoiseCaves turned on as well). The game runs fine. No lag, and no problems re-spawning or saving and exiting the game.  Played for a while and it was so smooth I could almost forget that I was checking the mod out.

Conclusion on my end would be, whatever is causing high memory usage and lag issues on my system is tied to how the cavesExtraBranchy code is working itself out.

Oh, and on a side note:
Mine cave-ins are horrifying.
Well done!🤣

I tried the mod with default caves turned off and noise caves turned on. 384 world height.

I spawned in water with no land in sight as expected :P .

I experienced a lot of lag inside caves, even way after the world should've finished loading/generating. Initially the world map appeared to be filling in very, very slowly after a teleport.

The first noise cave I found was a two blocks high, amost completely flat area, it didn't feel very cave-like. As Thalius reported I kinda had to dig to find one.

Then with more digging I found a large cave, a big wide open space. It was pretty cool since there was a big underground lake and a lot of stalagtites/mites, but it kinda lacked variety in a sense, I could see that kind of cave get old fast if they're all more or less the same model.

I triggered one cave in. The cave's ceiling collapsed in an exact square shape, some randomness to the shape could be needed so it doesn't feel artificial.

One thing I'm wondering about (just thinking out loud here) is whether preexisting caves should collapse that easily, just by mining a few protruding ore blocks on the ceiling? Getting cave-ins makes more sense in my mind when digging through previously undisturbed rock.

EDIT: I was wondering if you had looked into the Perlin Worms technique of generating caves. From what I understand it's used by Minecraft, but Vintage Story went for something else involving a bunch of trigonometry? I wonder what's behind that technical choice.

Edited by BearWrestler

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, @jakecool19...

Not sure when you'll give further attention to this as I'm sure you, like other modders, are probably busy updating other mod projects for the 1.15 release, but I wanted to give a quick update.

I think much of the lag I saw when re-spawning and saving/quitting a game was tied to some issue in previous 1.15pre-release versions and not to the mod.  After updating to the current game version, I'm running your mod with no issues, as long as I don't bump the default cave gen parameters too high.

That being said, I've pretty much settled on running the mod with default caves on and all parameters set at the default level of 1.  I'm really enjoying the noisecave gen feature, and basically have default caves on to provide surface tunnel access to the lower caverns generated by your cave gen system.  If having noise caves on alone provided some sort of surface cave openings as well that allowed a player to descend to the depths of the world, I'd turn default caves off altogether.

Leaving default caves on to serve that purpose works just fine though, and I like the way they work together.

There is some charm to the idea of the noisecave generated caverns down in the underworld that a player needs to work to get access to. The noisecave generated caverns really do feel like an "underworld" that would be cut off from the surface if default caves were disabled.  Breaking into them and mining access from one cavern system to another and linking them to the surface could be a fun dynamic.

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello again...

I found an issue that is hard to reproduce, but I'm certain it is was an issue with the mod.
I was down at the mantle  in a lava chamber hopping from tile to tile raiding locust loot piles. The first one I broke resulted in the game sort of freezing. About five seconds after breaking it, the locusts that were chasing me froze on their tile but the walk/crawl animation kept running in place. I could still move around, falling in lava did not hurt me, I could open inventory but could not use anything, fire a bow and the animation would render but no arrows fired, etc. I hit esc to close the game out and the game went through the motions of exiting and saving the game but froze on the closing narration screen going though a very slow loop... "one last gaze..." and so on. I had to alt-delet pull up the task manager and force close the game. I tried that five times hitting the same pile and seeing the same thing happen.  On loading the game back up it always had saved at a spot that was about a minute before my hitting the loot pile.

Odd thing is, after trying five times I loaded the game back up and this time hit a different loot pile block. Everything went fine except that no loot dropped, only locusts. I killed them and I broke another with the same result- no loot, just locusts. I broke the same one that I had hit the first five times and had problems after, and a lot of loot of different types dropped (I want to say three different materials, but I'm not sure), along with the appropriate number of locusts. I killed them and gathered the loot and all was fine- the game rolled on as normal with no freezing or save-exiting the game freeze issues after that.  All three of these locust loot pile blocks were within close proximity to one another- probably 5 to 7 blocks from one to the next in a crooked line.

No clue how to reproduce this, but I'll be paying attention next time I go scavenging for those things and see if I can come up with any other details that might help.

1 hour ago, Thalius said:

Hello again...

I found an issue that is hard to reproduce, but I'm certain it is was an issue with the mod.
I was down at the mantle  in a lava chamber hopping from tile to tile raiding locust loot piles. The first one I broke resulted in the game sort of freezing. About five seconds after breaking it, the locusts that were chasing me froze on their tile but the walk/crawl animation kept running in place. I could still move around, falling in lava did not hurt me, I could open inventory but could not use anything, fire a bow and the animation would render but no arrows fired, etc. I hit esc to close the game out and the game went through the motions of exiting and saving the game but froze on the closing narration screen going though a very slow loop... "one last gaze..." and so on. I had to alt-delet pull up the task manager and force close the game. I tried that five times hitting the same pile and seeing the same thing happen.  On loading the game back up it always had saved at a spot that was about a minute before my hitting the loot pile.

Odd thing is, after trying five times I loaded the game back up and this time hit a different loot pile block. Everything went fine except that no loot dropped, only locusts. I killed them and I broke another with the same result- no loot, just locusts. I broke the same one that I had hit the first five times and had problems after, and a lot of loot of different types dropped (I want to say three different materials, but I'm not sure), along with the appropriate number of locusts. I killed them and gathered the loot and all was fine- the game rolled on as normal with no freezing or save-exiting the game freeze issues after that.  All three of these locust loot pile blocks were within close proximity to one another- probably 5 to 7 blocks from one to the next in a crooked line.

No clue how to reproduce this, but I'll be paying attention next time I go scavenging for those things and see if I can come up with any other details that might help.

Hey Thalius, thanks for the bug report and feedback! And my apologizes for the radio silence, I am busy trying to update Farm Life and the code for Expanded Foods. When you were by the lava, did any of the locusts/items burn to nothing? I ask because when an entity burns to death, especially in lava, it causes gas to be produced, and a big problem with the current gas system is that under certain circumstances it can get caught in infinite loops that will make the game hang like. Once I get the time I am going to completely overhaul that system to use chunk data instead of meta blocks, because blocks just do not really work well.

8 hours ago, jakecool19 said:

Hey Thalius, thanks for the bug report and feedback! And my apologizes for the radio silence, I am busy trying to update Farm Life and the code for Expanded Foods. When you were by the lava, did any of the locusts/items burn to nothing? I ask because when an entity burns to death, especially in lava, it causes gas to be produced, and a big problem with the current gas system is that under certain circumstances it can get caught in infinite loops that will make the game hang like. Once I get the time I am going to completely overhaul that system to use chunk data instead of meta blocks, because blocks just do not really work well.

Yes, most of the locusts crawled into the lava immediately, and some of the items endued up in the lava as well.  The last time, when there were no problems, locusts crawled into the lava on the first two blocks I broke (no items dropped), and burned but there was no game freeze. The last block I broke dropped items and, I'm sure, several had to have fallen into the lava (though I suppose it is wildly possible all of them landed on the only four blocks touching the loot block I broke), and most of the locusts ended up in the lava from that block as well.

The lava cavern I was in was huge. There were a lot of gas mechanics going on, I'm sure.

Parkour, anyone?
Or maybe "the floor is lava" is your thing?:

2021-07-21_13-29-58.png

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @Dythanos @Thalius and @BearWrestler for your feedback. Released a small patch incorporating some of your feedback. Cave ins will be more random and rocks will become compromised and cracked in appearance before they fall. Using new ocean landforms provided by Dythanos and a new ocean multiplier in the config, set to zero by default though. Halite will also stop spawning in massive pillars and there is a hardcoded max on the default cave multipliers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.