Are there animals in tropical regions?

BearWrestler

Our small group of 3 players made it to the South after an epic journey of 15000+ blocks. I must say that seeing the scenery gradually changing as temperatures rose was pretty amazing, something you can't experience in Minecraft for sure. It felt like quite the achievement to see our first bamboos and saguaros, not to mention termite mounds and hyenas in the desert.

However, when we explored further to find a spot to settle, we found very little in the way of animals (besides aurochs which I believe are from Primitive Survival). Is that something expected of tropical areas, or were we perhaps moving faster than the server's capacity to add spawns? I know that at some point I cranked up my view distance to max to take screenshots which I imagine must increase the chunk generation load.

At this point we're getting disappointed since the plan was to settle in the south all along, but it won't work if there's no food. Hence my trying to figure out if it's just content that's not implemented yet, a 1.15 bug, some mod issue, a config issue, us not waiting long enough for the spawns to appear (is more that a full day-night needed?) or gremlins.

• Like 1

Not sure about it after the 1.15 update and with mods, but in my last vanilla world starting in hot climate, more pigs spawned during winter and I found sheep on a higher mountain (I build something to get them to ground level), so I guess it's because of the temperature they need to spawn. I also found hares in some cooler spots (but I didn't need a fence around my farmland :) ), not sure if I ever saw a raccoon and I'm pretty sure there weren't any foxes around, but there were definitely chickens, so they might be the first choice for meat (and eggs) until you need leather.

Some plants are also harder to find, and now after the update, temperature can ruin the harvest. But in addition to saguaro fruits we also got some new plants that are more heat resistant like cassava and peanut, though some of them seem to take very long to grow (pineapple 48 days?!).

And now you can eat termites, but I guess the mounds don't respawn when you destroy them, so that's a limited food source.

So...yeah... starting in a hot region is a bit rough at first. Not sure how much that changed with 1.15.

I just started a new world with the plan to move south and maybe build something near a jungle and I'm really curious how the whole food situation in those areas changed now after the big update.

• Like 1

Thanks for the confirmation. Damn, I wish the game was more up-front about this kind of thing, because it's gonna dash my small group's hopes. Something like showing this message at download time or when starting a new world: "If you want to have fun and progress through the available tech levels, stick to a temperate region (fauna is incomplete in other climates) outside wooded areas (primitive spawn mechanics make it impossible to be safe from wolves)".

In light of this and previous findings I'm not happy with 1.15's direction (although I like the single feature of the rope ladders). Pies, seriously? Why not knitting, tea sets and embroidery while we are at it*? When the water and tropics are devoid of life, there's no breathing mechanic (and player is hardcoded to sometimes spawn in water so community can't mod in oceans or breathing), drifter and wolves spawn right on top of you and a nomadic lifestyle is pretty much impossible without modding?

*Vintage Story, the uncompromising Tea Salon game! Horror elements include your cookies being slightly charred, and gossiping.

Edited by BearWrestler

34 minutes ago, BearWrestler said:

In light of this and previous findings I'm not happy with 1.15's direction (although I like the single feature of the rope ladders). Pies, seriously? Why not knitting, tea sets and embroidery while we are at it*? When the water and tropics are devoid of life, there's no breathing mechanic (and player is hardcoded to sometimes spawn in water so community can't mod in oceans or breathing), drifter and wolves spawn right on top of you and a nomadic lifestyle is pretty much impossible without modding?

You'll have to ask your fellow players about that. The direction of 1.15 was decided by a public poll, and all the features you named as missing were offered as well (plus others more besides). They received fewer votes than the farming, cooking, and home-building additions.

Edited by Streetwind

48 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

You'll have to ask your fellow players about that. The direction of 1.15 was decided by a public poll, and all the features you named as missing were offered as well (plus others more besides). They received fewer votes than the farming, cooking, and home-building additions.

Maybe the game has been invaded by players (at least the portion of them visiting the forums and voting on polls) who'd rather play house than horror survival. Doesn't make me any less disappointed, it's not what's advertised on the tin (a.k.a homepage), and devs specifically said they were not slavishly following player's wishes.

Also, I suspect that a portion of players who voted homesteading had in mind more primitive survival-related stuff like animal husbandry - which barely got touched in 1.15 -, rather than pies and interior decorating, a.k.a. grandma simulator 2021.

4 hours ago, BearWrestler said:

because it's gonna dash my small group's hopes.

Why? It's a bit more difficult at the start, not impossible. I could do it alone in 1.14 and it was really fun, so why would you not be able to do it with a whole group? Just like the nomadic lifestyle. It's possible, just not easy. And of course find the right settings for what you prefer (change the hunger rate, for example, if a lot of cooking is not for you).

I'd just love to see more pigs and new animals for warm/hot climate areas. All the new plants in 1.15 are already a great addition. I'm just worried the new temperature stuff might make things too complex and some parts annoying - I don't want to keep checking numbers all the time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BearWrestler said:

Thanks for the confirmation. Damn, I wish the game was more up-front about this kind of thing, because it's gonna dash my small group's hopes. Something like showing this message at download time or when starting a new world: "If you want to have fun and progress through the available tech levels, stick to a temperate region (fauna is incomplete in other climates) outside wooded areas (primitive spawn mechanics make it impossible to be safe from wolves)".

*Vintage Story, the uncompromising Tea Salon game! Horror elements include your cookies being slightly charred, and gossiping.

I totally feel your disappointment with the 1.15 update, I did not vote for homesteading and I was really hoping for some AI and pathfinding additions/improvements, which did not make it into this update. However though, it is worth noting that this update really is only half implemented as a significant amount of development time went to the creation of the Mod database and official server hosting. So while the models and textures are there, a lot of the programming is not so we did not get juice/alcohol making, butter churning, fruit trees, bears, hawks, and fish(bad idea to make an ocean mod before fish lol). And they seemed pressed to make it to some deadline so that all is going to be implemented in 1.16. So while 1.15 is a bit underwhelming for me, I know the development time was well spent as we got the Mod database which really helps modders out and sets the frameworks for other things to come such as in game mod downloading. 

In regards to the southern heat, while it is difficult it is definitely not impossible. In fact, there are some pretty awesome upsides. For starters, winter is not a worry, so you can farm year long without greenhouses. Hyenas are smaller, weaker, and more cowardly than wolves and they spawn very often in deserts and grasslands, so they are easy to hunt and spot, and you do not have to worry about being stuck in a maze of branchy leaves. And since winter has no effect there animals also spawn year round. I literally lived as a hunter gather and did no farming except for a trout line and mushrooms. There is no penalty for not having a certain food group, and the only gain for having all five, is 2.5 hp, that's it. If you really want all the food groups, you could send someone back to collect berry bushes, they take no heat damage, or use honey in your meals. All grains are heat tolerant and while most veggies are not, onions are, plus they are the fastest growing and consume P which can be replenished by bonemeal. And of course you can always  hunt hyenas for meat, especially if you have good armor, or farm the aurochs.

Yup, winters are not a problem, including no annoyingly short days. ^^ And hyaenas are less of a problem than wolves.

9 hours ago, jakecool19 said:

berry bushes, they take no heat damage

Well. "Berry bushes will now stop ripening (>30 °C) and also revert their growth (>35 °C) if the temperature is too hot " But the bushes don't die.

9 hours ago, jakecool19 said:

All grains are heat tolerant and while most veggies are not, onions are, plus they are the fastest growing

Turnips just need 3 days (pumpkins 3,5, onions 3,6), but they are only heat tolerant up to 27 degrees. Should work during winter though, but I didn't keep checking the temperature all the time in my 1.14 world.

Thanks for sharing your opinion and advice guys. I do appreciate this community - and the game as well, although I got a bit grumpy.

I do agree that the mod DB was a good move, worth the time invested.

Small update, now some animals decided to show up in a few locations (possibly cooler ones?), but it took something like 4-6 in-game days for them to appear. I have no clue whether this is due to 1.15 or adding back Primitive Survival, or if it was always that delayed and I never noticed. Or perhaps the server was overloaded somehow and struggling to process the spawning? Either way, it seems like something the game might have to solve, because areas felt awfully empty when exploring and it was hard to locate those with fauna.

Don't berry bushes stop maturing and even regress above 30 Celsius now?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.