Root Cellar

Melidebby

You can build cellars which make food last longer. You can also extend the shelf life of food with certain containers like clay vessels, or by pickling/salting it in barrels. The amount of time food will last depends on the food, the temperature of the surrounding area, and how much shelf life the food had left before preserving.

You can find all the details on food preservation on the wiki, here: https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Food_preservation

The base lifespan of cured meat is one full year. So if you salt the meat, then yes, it should stay fresh for a year or more in a cellar. However, this doesn't mean that a cellar can make everything last a year. It depends on the food and how it's stored.

If you salt it. If you cook it in a meal and seal the crock it should be close to a year. I could ting about adding the possibility to smoke or dry meat, but that might come.

Among many interesting things would be a ice house, where you bring ice blocks and pack them with sawdust, getting a cold storage room all through summer. But, i feel that a thing that would be pretty complex and not the most important thing to the game. Perhaps something for modders.

I keep my food in crooks and clay vessels in my cellar, the grain stored in vessels is good for about 5-6 years, and the prepared food stored ( and sealed with piece of fat or beeswax ) on the shelf, is good for about 2 years, take off 3-4 months on some though. My cellar is 3x4x3. Decay rate for vessels: Vegetable: 0.19x, Grain: 0.13x, Other: 0.26x. For the shelves, it's 0.26x.

So I tend to just prepares meals with meat in it just before the winter and fill my shelves with it. I survive the winter easily with enough food, even got left over sealed meals for the spring. Still good for about 1.5 years.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.